Discuss Biggest decision I have ever had to make.... Big debate coming up!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have reached a very difficult crossroad which requires me to choose a path to lead. It's all down to the decisions I have made so far and the decisions to better myself for the future. I hope you can all read this and give your valued input because it is as I say the biggest decision of my life so far. I'm going to simplify my history in order to keep your attention to give your input!!

1) Sep 2005 - started apprenticeship at the age of 19, took it seriously and did well. Was with a one man band that dealt with domestic, industrial and commercial. He taught me well.

2) March 2009 - after 3 years of apprenticeship my boss was ****ting himself over the recession and kept me busy doing his house maintainance for a couple of months before realising he can't sustain the losses anymore and let me go.

3) went self-employed because I thought it would be easier for me to find work and sub to companies instead of find employment.

4) April 2009 - 2 days of unemployment and a firm call me up to offer a couple of months work which turned into over a year, got good experience running a food factory install, a 7 month job.

5) June 2010 - finished with that firm because I had set up a Ltd company in September of 2009 before the big job started but let it lay dormant until the new tax year. I set it up for the wrong reasons, I moved too fast but decided to use it because my accountant said so for tax reasons.

6) got a few customers in and did ok, local business' like pubs and a sizeable mechanics workshop along with the food factory I previously did. Also kept busy by my boss as an apprentice.

7) my boss as an apprentice....as much respect I have for him, and as much as I like the guy, he cannot have people work for him. He doesn't have the skills to keep workforce happy....if he did he would be a massive firm because he gets alot of work. But anyway he was 70% of my eggs in the basket. But my mind was telling me I should stop working for him.

8) Dec 2010 - stopped doing so much work for old boss because he quietened down, I struggled along with half weeks for the next 3 months.

9) March 2011 - jumped back on the old boss bandwagon to get some regular income again. And worked for him until he wanted me to run a big job for him which he paid me alot of money for.

10) June 2011 - job starts and and I'm employing a sparks and 2 pairs of hands to get the job done. It's for a bluechip company, my old boss only got in there from going through the building firm regulating the works.

No organisiation from my old boss whatsoever from the offset and job goes badly from the beginning, I was on day rate for myself and my labour so my old boss understandably was going off his nut every 5 minutes worrying about losing money and blaming it on me, but honestly it was the unproffesionality of his ways which caused the problems.

The first phase got complete in time and to a good standard but my morale has never been damaged so much over the last 7 weeks due to my old boss.

The second phase has now started, and it's got to the point where I've turned round to him and politely let him know I don't want anymore side by side works with him, I'll finish this job. But in future just call me when he's desperate and I'll do the same.....

Now here's the decision....

I have ****ed off every one of my other customers during this job through sticking all my eggs in one basket. I haven't got much of a business, money is ok but client base is thin.

Then I thought....have I done this properly?? The only thing I have never done is work on a big firm... Could this be an opportunity to better myself? Or would sticking to my business and cracking on with that prevail?

I would like more knowledge in certain parts of the trade and I feel getting involved in a big firm may help me out there. I know I would do well because I would be a great employee, but I don't like the thought of looking like a failed business! I could make it succeed and I know that, I have enough in my bag to be successful. But shall I go back to employment for 5 years or so and see where I'm at when I'm 30??

Sorry for the storey but I want people to understand where I'm coming from to give their input on my situation. All I want to do is better myself.

Thanks for reading guys :)

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont think you need to worry about looking like a failed business as it would be your choice if you wind it up
i think it sounds like stability is what you crave and a big firm is more likley to give you this however obviously things are still uncertain and getting on the books may proove tricky, i have been with the same large firm in norwich for over 20yrs and people often say "dont you want to set up on your own" and i say no for me the work is good and varied and the pay is to jib rates i know many good sparks who have tried on thier own and year by year are no better off and they have more worries there will always be the exeption i guess. i like stability and thats what i would look for.

Thanks for the reply mark sparks. I value your opinion. I completely agree with you on the 'not much better off' after weighing up all the costs involved in running a business especially when you put all the extra hassle and after hours work you have to put in to keep on top of everything.

I know I might struggle to find a job as well, but I'll carry on with what I'm doing until I do. What are the rates of pay on a typical big firm? Let's say from electrician, to approved electrician, to supervisor, to any office based positions that you might lead up to....

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to Biggest decision I have ever had to make.... Big debate coming up!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net