Search the forum,

Discuss Bit of help ASAP.....Please!! in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hyperliteliam

Evening guys.

Right, got a bit of a problem. The father in law sprung it on me yesterday to wire up his Turkey zapper which he needs for Wednesday.

I've constructed the panel but now i've just got to wire it. Gotta be honest and say I haven't wired up through a contactor for around 3 years now and mind has totally gone blank!

Hopefully someone can help...

So basically whats gotta happen with it is that you press down on the foot pedal which brings the contactor in and then feeds power to the probe, then you go about stunning the old gobblers..

The foot pedal is connected to the panel box via a two pole commando socket L/SL?
The probe is connected via a 3 pole commando socket L-N-E
Anymore info required just let me know.

Any help is much appreciated!

006.jpg

Just wire the probe from the bottom of the contactor.

Feed the contactor L1 & L2 with your live & neutral, then the probe from the output T1 & T2.

COnnect foot pedal S/L to A1 and pull a neutral to A2 from the load side of main switch.

Im sure that panel should an MCB and/or even RCD on it somewhere????

Thanks for the replys guys. Still having trouble getting the contactor to pull in though, have wired it as above and no joy. I think everything else is good, as when i pull the contactor over with a driver i'm getting 600v.

Nearly there!!

Yes, essentially the foot pedal is a N/O switch which when you step on it closes and sends the line back up to the A1 terminal of the contactor, A2 needs a neutral supply.

You have a step-up transformer from 230V to 600V, is that contactor rated to 600V???.....from the output of the transfomer to the supply side of the contactor (L1 & L2), and from the load side of the contactor (T1 & T2) to the kill stick thing.

What voltage rating is the coil of the contactor I'm assuming 230V???

ya- i would prob feed the 600v -through the contactor(if contacts are rated ) rather than cycle the trafo primary on and off

the 250VA trafo isn't protected atm

Okay, so firstly the contactor is only rated to 24v (no mention of 600v anywhere on it) so this will need to be changed i assume.
So assuming the contactor is correct and the fusing is right, this is how i've wired so far;

230v from door switch to 230v at tranny
Live and neutral from tranny (L-600v N-0v) to L1 and L2 at contactor
Live and neutral from T1 and T2 to back of commando socket which probe plugs into
Took a live from 24v on tranny to A1 on contactor
Took a lead from 0v on tranny to A2 on contactor
From A1 to terminal 1 on footswitch socket
Then from plug to terminal in footswitch

Will add a pic in a bit, need about 4 smokes in a row first is doing my head in

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a live from 24v on tranny to A1 on contactor
Took a lead from 0v on tranny to A2 on contactor
From A1 to terminal 1 on footswitch socket
Then from plug to terminal in footswitch
if ive understood you should do the following:
0v from tranny to A2 on contactor
24v from tranny to foot switch term1
term 2? footswitch to A1 contactor

Morning guys.

Think that the contactor is shot on the switch side. When i test between L1 to T1 etc i get a reading. Just sure this is wired up correctly now, but just cannot fathom this out! So is there any way to test the contactor?

Cheers

Hi,
what voltage rating is the coil in the contactor? This should be stated on the contactor somewhere or with the information supplied with the contactor if it was bought new,

Regards,

Dickylad.

Hi,
looking at a blown up photo of the contactor it appears to be a 24V AC coil (TeSys K CONTACTOR 4kW 9A 24VAC) so to test contactor wire from 24V (transformer) to A1 (contactor) and 0V (transformer) to A2 (contactor) and it should pull in. If you have wired it in the past so 600V went across the coil it may have burnt out. Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dickylad.

On the side of the contactor it does say 600v max. Can't see where it states the coil rating though, as it has 24v on the front i'm assuming its that. Dickylad tried that and still no joy, so guessing its kaput!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Measure the resistance of the coil. Check the resistance of the Foot pedal switch. It does sound like the Coil is kaput. You really need to verify the correct coil operating voltage. Ohm out the wiring when you replace the contactor. What ever the operating voltage of the coil requires, put that to terminal 3 on the foot pedal switch, the other side of the switch terminal 4 on the foot pedal to A1 of the contactor, A2 to neutral. The contactor should pull in then. This is assuming the foot pedal is a NO switch, which it should be.
When you depress the Contactor you should get contact between both sides of the contactor, L1 to T2 etc..

Last edited:
Hyperliteliam,
thought I would draw up how I think your circuit should look. I have used red and black for the 600V so you dont confuse them with the other blue and browns running horizontally. It may or may not be of any use, I haven't shown fuses in the 24V or 600V circuits,

Regards,

Dickylad

Connections.jpg

Thanks for the drawing dickylad, really appreciate it. Gotta be honest and say this is my first real go at 'panel building' if you like, so bit green really with it all.
Basically the father in law had to buy this as a kit because Kellys (turkey people) weren't allowed to sell it complete as its over 150 volts apparently. Their 'electrician' designed this as their previous stunner was not as safe as this design apparently, so can't see why these appropriate fuses haven't been included.
So to make this all ok what fuses are required as i'll pick these up with the contactor..

Thanks again guys

Evening guys.

Got this working the other day. 600v present at the stunner probe commando socket when foot-pedal pressed.
But got a slight problem; i think...?
As i've stated, when i check voltage at the commando socket i've got 600v and the contactor pulls in fine, but when i plug in the probe to the socket then press the foot-pedal the contactor rapidly pulls in and out, in and out till i press the button on the probe.
When the button on the probe is pressed the contactor stays pulled in...

Is really puzzling, anyone shed some light on this for me please...

Cheers

Yeah I am for real mate. Is that alright.

Looks like I ALSO forgot that i should have contacted you about the problem I've had in the first place, sure you would have sorted it well quick.

Do one mate, this ain't what this forums about. Seems you'll be more suited to the screwfix forum after the above constructive reply....

Hi hyperliteliam,
if the contactor is bouncing in and out it must be an issue with what is controlling it i.e. the foot switch. Are you getting a clean 24V AC onto the A1 and A2 of the contactor? Don't worry about other people having a go we are all at different levels, I am sure there are lots of things you can do better than me, anyway check for a good connection on your pedal switch, hope this helps,

Regards,

Dickylad.

Something else I have thought about, if when you have the probe connected the contactor bounces in and out, it may be a fault or the size of the probe is too big for your transformer. This may occur due to the probe pulling the voltage down which because of the shared transformer the 24V AC for the contactor could be pulled down below the value which will hold the contactor in so it drops out, when it drops out the voltage recovers and then the contactor pulls in again, this could result in what you describe. Have you fused the 600V and 24V circuits?
Regards,
Dickylad.

Thanks for your reply dickylad, makes sense in what your saying. But is strange that when the push button switch on the probe is pressed the contactor stays pulls in, but when the button isn't pressed the contactor goes on a mad one. Thought this would have worked the other way round..
As with the fusing i haven't yet, was unsure on wich fuses to get to be honest. I think the output side puts out less than 0.5 milli amps

What is the function of the push button on the probe? Is this in addition to the pedal switch on the floor or are they one and the same?

Hi,

I'm assuming the switch on the probe is a form of safety for the user. Foot pedal applies voltage to the probe and then the Switch on the probe transfer voltage to the turkeys. The probe sounds like it is causing the issue. Possibly a loose connection. Can't say for sure as I don't know what type of probe it is.

I hope you guy’s are taking in to account your “duty of care” to the operator, from the way this thread is going I think the Turkey’s are safer.

well i managed to buy a turkey (oven ready/partly cooked!!) but they are in short supply (the public are STUNNED!!!) is it all sorted now???

Reply to Bit of help ASAP.....Please!! in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net