Discuss Bonding of 2 gas pipes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not silly at all. You have simply exposed what can be a very real vulnerability in any electrical conductor (not just a bonding conductor). This is where the often underestimated "visual test" comes in to its own. And the electrical reality is that our meters and testers have their limitations.
Your eyes tell you quite a lot, in some situations still like to use my analogue meters like to see a moving needle.

Back when I was a student called the gas board in because of a smell of gas (which the landlord denied and said he had it checked).
He really did light a lighter and ran along the pipe until he got a little gout of flame from a tiny tiny hole.
He then condemed every gas appliance in the house (much to the landlords annoyance)

we had a leak , BG capped off the tee into the house ( hob and unused gas fire just leaving feed to boiler in garage, don under maintenance plan so no charge. ). my mate the plumber then tapped off the the boiler feed to re-feed the hob, that cost me 3 pints of ale. winner.

a gas engineer would expect to see the bonding within 60cm of the meter
Looked at a job recently where a gas engineer had advised the above as a 'non compliance'.
The meter is external to the property (small block of flats) but incoming gas service pipe (copper) to the flat (second floor) has been bonded within 600mm of entering the flat. (Not easy route from internal service cupboard to ground floor meter!).
There doesn't seem to be a 3 tier system like the EICR to determine compliance (saftey) with the gas report but I advised the landlord from an electrical pov, it would be C3 at worst which is declared 'Satisfactory'!
(The recent EICR was just ticked!) The LL will take up the issue with the gas engineer/company.
Agree?

Looked at a job recently where a gas engineer had advised the above as a 'non compliance'.
The meter is external to the property (small block of flats) but incoming gas service pipe (copper) to the flat (second floor) has been bonded within 600mm of entering the flat. (Not easy route from internal service cupboard to ground floor meter!).
There doesn't seem to be a 3 tier system like the EICR to determine compliance (saftey) with the gas report but I advised the landlord from an electrical pov, it would be C3 at worst which is declared 'Satisfactory'!
(The recent EICR was just ticked!) The LL will take up the issue with the gas engineer/company.
Agree?
Something that bugs me is that the bond is an "electrical" safety requirement. So if the electrician deems the bonding to be compliant with the current regs, why do the gas monkeys and meter readers think they can override this?

Reply to Bonding of 2 gas pipes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net