Discuss Brown/Brown twin and earth. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks very professional when used for switch drops but...

And I am braced for impact.. :eek:

How do you know which is feed and return?

Installed a 12 gang grid switch and used Brown/Brown and when wiring up the switches was wondering if there is a trick to knowing which is which.

Was a bit of a faff but sorted it during dead testing today but thought, why isn't one core distinctively marked, or maybe a different colour, say blue?

just remember that the left hand brown is always the feed, easy when you know how!! ;)

p.s. just in case, please don't take this too seriously guys and girls.:D

Last edited:

Do you need to know?

Generally this cable is used for the drop to a single switch, or one switch on a multi gang switch, so as long as one is in the common terminal and the other in L1 it will work. There is nothing requiring the feed to be in common or switched live in L1 (if there was then 2 ways wouldn't work very well)

Do you need to know?

Generally this cable is used for the drop to a single switch, or one switch on a multi gang switch, so as long as one is in the common terminal and the other in L1 it will work. There is nothing requiring the feed to be in common or switched live in L1 (if there was then 2 ways wouldn't work very well)
Other than half the switches being on/down and half on/up.

Used all the time here. I'm fact its very unusual to use brown/blue for a switch here. Sometimes one shade of brown is darker than the other. If not, takes 2 mins to bell it out. I don't really understand why it isn't used across the water to be honest it is the correct colour rather than having to sleeve blue leading to lazy people not doing so.

Used all the time here. I'm fact its very unusual to use brown/blue for a switch here. Sometimes one shade of brown is darker than the other. If not, takes 2 mins to bell it out. I don't really understand why it isn't used across the water to be honest it is the correct colour rather than having to sleeve blue leading to lazy people not doing so.
Completely agree. It should be mandatory. No-one here would dream of using brown & blue for a switch drop.

Installed a 12 gang grid switch and used Brown/Brown and when wiring up the switches was wondering if there is a trick to knowing which is which.

Was a bit of a faff but sorted it during dead testing today but thought, why isn't one core distinctively marked, or maybe a different colour, say blue?
If you must use brown/brown (pointless IMO), then there is indeed a trick. The writing stamped on the flat T+E sheath is in the same orientation, on the same side right down its entire length. You can figure out which conductor is which from that.

If you must use brown/brown (pointless IMO), then there is indeed a trick. The writing stamped on the flat T+E sheath is in the same orientation, on the same side right down its entire length. You can figure out which conductor is which from that.
Genius, and obvious.

In part.

It matters that the feed is in the com to me, it's just pride.

Yes, you can flip the switch once it's all been powered up, or reterminate it.

I just like to have it right before energizing.

But you said half of the switches will be on at the top, and the other half on at the bottom.
That's got nothing to do with whether the feed is in the common or L1, the switch works exactly the same either way.

The switch will be upside down if it is connected incorrectly so that it is operating between the common and L2.
[automerge]1594674053[/automerge]
Completely agree. It should be mandatory. No-one here would dream of using brown & blue for a switch drop.

Do you have twin brown in every type of cable over there?

I've only ever seen it in T&E type cable,

Last edited:
Only in twin and earth, multi core is normally phase colours, or either white or black with numbered cores.

But you said half of the switches will be on at the top, and the other half on at the bottom.
That's got nothing to do with whether the feed is in the common or L1, the switch works exactly the same either way.

The switch will be upside down if it is connected incorrectly so that it is operating between the common and L2.
[automerge]1594674053[/automerge]

Do you have twin brown in every type of cable over there?

I've only ever seen it in T&E type cable,
Just T&E. You can get a four core flex with brown, black, blue and green/yellow which is useful for dual element immersions though.

Reply to Brown/Brown twin and earth. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net