Discuss Can I replace bathroom extractor fan with different model? Advice requested! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MummyJynx

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there! Looking for advice from anyone who knows about bathroom extractor fans. I have a dead one of these P Fan - https://www.greenwood.co.uk/product/138/p-fan ... Is this Manrose XF100LVT/SC 10W Bathroom Extractor Fan with Timer White 12V - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/manrose-xf100lvt-sc-10w-bathroom-extractor-fan-with-timer-white-12v/14750#product_additional_details_container a suitable replacement? Also, is fitting the new one something that I could do myself, or would it require a professional? Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

looking at the specs, the greenwood is a 230v model, whereas the manrose is 12v... would need a separate transformer (if not included)

best idea is to get the same exact model, so that fixing holes, cable entry etc are all exactly the same... (or should be)

would also need to check if its a timer run-on model, or just a straight on/off with a switch

looking at the specs, the greenwood is a 230v model, whereas the manrose is 12v... would need a separate transformer (if not included)

best idea is to get the same exact model, so that fixing holes, cable entry etc are all exactly the same... (or should be)

would also need to check if its a timer run-on model, or just a straight on/off with a switch
Hi littlespark. Thank you for your reply, that's really helpful. I don't think our current one has a timer function (though it's been broken so long it's hard to remember!). I'm going to take your advice and go with the same model. Thanks again ?

Reactions: DPG
The greenwood looks like a complicated piece of equipment for multi-room extraction?
Have you got the right model number from your existing fan?
They will make different models such as standard, timed, pullcord switch or humidistat controlled all with the same design, just different insides.

For a bathroom, with an opening window, a standard fan is fine... doesnt need a timer, although one can be put in.

For DIY installation, its a lot easier if there is a 3 pole isolator (like a normal lightswitch, with a really wide rocker) that can be turned off.
You also need to check with a tester if theres power or not before attempting to disconnect.
A good idea to take photos of the connections before disconnecting so you know how it goes back.

If in any doubt, just come back to the forum and someone can advise with photos

The greenwood looks like a complicated piece of equipment for multi-room extraction?
Have you got the right model number from your existing fan?
They will make different models such as standard, timed, pullcord switch or humidistat controlled all with the same design, just different insides.

For a bathroom, with an opening window, a standard fan is fine... doesnt need a timer, although one can be put in.

For DIY installation, its a lot easier if there is a 3 pole isolator (like a normal lightswitch, with a really wide rocker) that can be turned off.
You also need to check with a tester if theres power or not before attempting to disconnect.
A good idea to take photos of the connections before disconnecting so you know how it goes back.

If in any doubt, just come back to the forum and someone can advise with photos
It does seem complicated- it was here when we moved in and worked for a couple of weeks (that was 4 years ago!). It covers both the bathroom and separate toilet, we don't have any windows in either room. I believe it was hooked up to the pull cord in the bathroom and isn't currently. It looks like the model number is inside the ceilinh unit. I think replacing it with the same model would be easiest although we are having some issues finding somewhere locally that stocks it.

sounds very complicated!

do you think it was supposed to work if EITHER room was switched?
Maybe it has connections for 2 x switches...

if you can give your nearest city or region, maybe some helpful forum member could visit, point you in the right direction?

Reply to Can I replace bathroom extractor fan with different model? Advice requested! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net