Discuss Car charging point needed urgently...... in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sparksburnout

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Good morning fellow electricians. Now, as I am sure you have all been enjoying, I have not been on here much lately, as I am jacking in very shortly, or at least not renewing my scam membership. So, with only 20 days left, it has just occurred to me it might be a good idea to install myself a car charging point, while I can still notify it. Trouble is I know b*****r all about them (no nasty comments there please). I would greatly appreciate a few hints, such as what types there are, which one to use and where to get it. I think I can probably seek out the information regarding if it needs a rod and so on, but any recommendations would be gratefully received, as I have not left myself much time.........No idea what sort of car I might get, or even if I actually will get one, but it might come in handy one day - I presume they are all the same if on a single phase?
Thanks in advance!

Get a 32 amp type 2 charger with tethered cable. Rolec are cheap enough. Should pay around £400 for one in suppliers Will be future proof for several years as type 2 leads are now standard across.europe.
Installing is easy enough if you arent daft.
If you want high end ones then they can come in between 600 and 1k.
Want any info then ask ill get back to you tomorrow.
Of note i know of an electrician who was retiring he notified a job to bc via elecsa before it was done. It was his daughters house rewire, Then when he retired.the following month did it and just back dated the certificate and put the same number as he put on the bc notification. Not advocating that approach mind.

and don't forget the gov. grant towards the cost. might need to go on a course first though...be an approved installer.

Get a 32 amp type 2 charger with tethered cable. Rolec are cheap enough. Should pay around £400 for one in suppliers Will be future proof for several years as type 2 leads are now standard across.europe.
Of note i know of an electrician who was retiring he notified a job to bc via elecsa before it was done. It was his daughters house rewire, Then when he retired.the following month did it and just back dated the certificate and put the same number as he put on the bc notification. Not advocating that approach mind.
Thanks Gavin, might put it on the back burner didn't realise they were that much. I wouldn't possibly dream of doing anything underhand like that, dear me no......

Get a 32 amp type 2 charger with tethered cable. Rolec are cheap enough. Should pay around £400 for one in suppliers (your not supposed to be able to purchase the charging units unless you’ve been on an approved training course due to the complexity of earthing arrangements it’s not straight forward to put an earth rod in) Will be future proof for several years as type 2 leads are now standard across.europe (except for France and Italy who use a different changing plug check the EV installation guidance from the IET)

Don't worry about buying the actual charging unit at this stage. To do the notification under your current scam membership, just add a new 32A circuit on a Type C MCB/RCBO at the DB and terminate to a rotary isolator next to where the charging point will go if & when you buy an EV.

For ev installations our local dno give off peak half price tariff, approx 8p.
Stipulations; tails to be upgraded to 25mm, no plastic consumer units and strictly part p approved as with all dno notifiable works

For ev installations our local dno give off peak half price tariff, approx 8p.
Stipulations; tails to be upgraded to 25mm, no plastic consumer units and strictly part p approved as with all dno notifiable works

Part p approved?? Don’t you mean EV installer approved, have you heard about the future plans for using EV charged vehicles being used as battery banks for use by the DNO as an on peak power supply then the vehicle recharged off peak

Over here on the Isle of Man we watch what’s going on in the uk and cherry pick the good from the bad..
such as;
we have no smart meters, no TNCS, no Electrical Trainee and hopefully no approved ev installers..
Just a well organized and sensible approach to what is an uncomplicated venture

Over here on the Isle of Man we watch what’s going on in the uk and cherry pick the good from the bad..
such as;
we have no smart meters, no TNCS, no Electrical Trainee and hopefully no approved ev installers..
Just a well organized and sensible approach to what is an uncomplicated venture

The approved installers are a good thing really after doing the course this week, there’s loads of minefields that can trip a non compliant installer main thing is earthing.

I’ve found there’s loads of very experienced electricians about who think it’s an easy job to install an EV pod at a property not knowing the implications of installing them on a PME system, I’ve read loads of guys just say bang in a earth spike and it will be fine it most certainly is NOT!!

Experience doesn’t = knowledge..
EV charging stations are and always will be a very simple piece of kit to install..

Reply to Car charging point needed urgently...... in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock