Discuss Ceiling light back to rose pendant in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Noob2020

DIY
Reaction score
Good Afternoon

I am moving home in the near future and want to take some of the ceiling lights we had fitted.

I am looking to cut the cost of having to pay to have them taken down so I plan to take them down and replace them with a rose pendant fitting (which it was before)

I have watched a few videos but just wanted to check something in regards to my wiring.

My wiring is Black & red which is fine but I have an extra separate red cable as well which I am not sure is for.

The light can be switched on and off by two separate switches.

Picture

Who put that fitting up? They have the neutral connected to L of the fitting.

All the reds together are live, even with the switch off. These go in the centre terminal of a normal rose, marked loop maybe.

The thicker red will no doubt be a black, sleeved in red. This is the switches live.

The blacks that are left will be neutral.

If you get these wrong, you could either find no lights work.... all lights work but only when that room’s switch is on.... or you put live and neutral across the switch. It’s called a dead short for a reason!

Without knowing the OPs competency regarding electrical work, I would recommend getting an electrician.... maybe there’s a forum member nearby willing to be paid in beer?

Who put that fitting up? They have the neutral connected to L of the fitting.

All the reds together are live, even with the switch off. These go in the centre terminal of a normal rose, marked loop maybe.

The thicker red will no doubt be a black, sleeved in red. This is the switches live.

The blacks that are left will be neutral.

If you get these wrong, you could either find no lights work.... all lights work but only when that room’s switch is on.... or you put live and neutral across the switch. It’s called a dead short for a reason!

Without knowing the OPs competency regarding electrical work, I would recommend getting an electrician.... maybe there’s a forum member nearby willing to be paid in beer?
Thanks for your reply.

this was fitted by an electrician :-(

Ideally I didnt want to have to pay to get it taken down and then pay again for it to get put up in my new property so thought I would give it a go my self.

I am just a DIY'r so have no electrical knowledge unfortunately

I am just a DIY'r so have no electrical knowledge unfortunately
And this is why we're saying get an electrician in.

I know, a lot will not even consider doing such a small job and want to charge you half a day for 30 minutes work... thats why i asked for your location in #5.

Reply to Ceiling light back to rose pendant in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net