Discuss Chasing poured concrete. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TheBatMan

We have a prefab property, constructed by pouring concrete into shuttering.
the concrete is very large aggregate, like MOT type 1 and very "loose & airy" to look at.

its ex council - 99% of electrics are surface mounted hideous 5hite

we want to rewire and chase the kitchen and have accepted a quote but I didn't consider the walls.

has anybody here had any experience chasing poured concrete?

( I can find traces of old original pipes and cable chases from around the 50s when the house was built, but all are dead/unused now. )

Thanks a lot.

no other way around? no metal conduits in the walls to put singles in?
if you really have to then use a big grinder with diamond blade, good dust mask and safety glasses essential.

You wont get any half decent chases done in those walls,it will come out in big chunks however keen your chiselling skills
Best to use the corner of a room where possible for the chases

However,the best solution for you is to dot and dab new walls to the kitchen and have the spark drop the cables behind
Wiring of cables in ceiling by fixing batons and new plasterboard

You wont get any half decent chases done in those walls,it will come out in big chunks however keen your chiselling skills
Best to use the corner of a room where possible for the chases

However,the best solution for you is to dot and dab new walls to the kitchen and have the spark drop the cables behind
Wiring of cables in ceiling by fixing batons and new plasterboard

Agree with that.

Or just batten the walls also, cable drops where needed, kingspan/celotex everywhere else and plasterboard on top. Warmer rooms and all for the cost of 1-1.5" per wall

Or just batten the walls also, cable drops where needed, kingspan/celotex everywhere else and plasterboard on top. Warmer rooms and all for the cost of 1-1.5" per wall

more like 5" per wall with kingspan.

You get 25mm kingspan boards Tel, not the highest level of insulation but enough to make a diffference. so add on 12.5mm plasterboard and your at 1.5"

Reply to Chasing poured concrete. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net