Discuss Competition Time: WIN a MAINSLINK from RF Solutions Ltd in the Forum Sponsor News and Offers area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RF Solutions Ltd manufacture the best selling original MAINSLINK series.
An ideal wireless solution running awkward or expensive cable runs, saving installers time and money on electrical installations.

This autumn RF Solutions Ltd are giving away a full Mainslink/Mainslink-Pro system for free to three lucky installers!
Click Here to find out more.

Competition Time: WIN a MAINSLINK from RF Solutions Ltd MAINSLINK Competition - Final - EletriciansForums.net

MAINSLINK is a wireless plug and play alternative to running a switch live cable. Originally launched in 2014!

Features:
  • 230Vac Operation
  • Up to 1KM range in buildings
  • Up to 5KM range - Line of sight
  • Weatherproof IP68 Enclosure
  • High Quality UK Manufacturer
  • Bi-directional version available (MAINSLINK-PRO)
View the latest review video from eFIXX on the Mainslink here

View Mainslink Series - Click Here
Click Here to view the Mainslink Series datasheets

Competition Time: WIN a MAINSLINK from RF Solutions Ltd Click here to sign up to the RF Installers Club - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
As smart devices become more reliable, so will their popularity.
I was thinking of using something like this to remote switch my house lighting circuit over to an Inverter, ready for the proposed hours long power cuts expected this Winter (At least I could keep the Lights on!).
Then I realised these devices run on mains, so, unless they have a built in Battery backup, I can't use them.
Can RF solutions answer my question please. Do they have a Battery Backup.?
If not, why not.??
David (G1ZQC) Lincolnshire.

As an avid radio amateur, I'm very wary of any RF usage over mains wiring as these systems can cause a great deal of unnecessary interference to other RF spectrum users unless they are very carefully designed. The extensive mains wiring in a house can be an all too efficient antenna in some circumstances. Getting Ofcom involved in tracing sources of interference is difficult but if successful can lead to restrictions or banning of usage of the radiating equipment.

Do they have a Battery Backup.?
If not, why not.??

I don't know for sure but I very much doubt it.
As to why, if there is no mains power present then this device becomes redundant because its purpose is to provide wireless switching of that mains power.
This device would be no good for changing over to a backup supply in the event of mains failure, even if it did have a battery backup.

I don't know for sure but I very much doubt it.
As to why, if there is no mains power present then this device becomes redundant because its purpose is to provide wireless switching of that mains power.
This device would be no good for changing over to a backup supply in the event of mains failure, even if it did have a battery backup.
I have been seriously thinking of designing such a device, not necessarily wireless controlled, but it could be.
I want to design an automatic switch over, just for the lighting circuit, as all of my lights are now LED, a small inverter plus battery obviously, would run the lights for hours at a time.
The old fashioned way would be an isolation contactor, powered all the time, so when it drops out, the N Open contacts would start the inverter. Of course it would switch back when the mains returned.
Don't worry about quoting the regs, as I can assure you I know what I am doing.💥

As an avid radio amateur, I'm very wary of any RF usage over mains wiring as these systems can cause a great deal of unnecessary interference to other RF spectrum users unless they are very carefully designed. The extensive mains wiring in a house can be an all too efficient antenna in some circumstances. Getting Ofcom involved in tracing sources of interference is difficult but if successful can lead to restrictions or banning of usage of the radiating equipment.
Same here, licenced since 1986. Been in electronics for over 55 years to date.
These things must send a data burst over the same phase cabling, so are not likely to do much damage, as long as the signal is not constant.
My first experiments in the late 60s was inducing Medium Wave over the power lines, it went for miles, but was only audible, directly under the overhead wires. Ultra low power can go a long way.

I have been seriously thinking of designing such a device, not necessarily wireless controlled, but it could be.
I want to design an automatic switch over, just for the lighting circuit, as all of my lights are now LED, a small inverter plus battery obviously, would run the lights for hours at a time.
The old fashioned way would be an isolation contactor, powered all the time, so when it drops out, the N Open contacts would start the inverter. Of course it would switch back when the mains returned.
Don't worry about quoting the regs, as I can assure you I know what I am doing.💥

That already exists as a product so why bother going to the trouble of designing and building it from scratch? Buy it, install it, and get on with life.

Same here, licenced since 1986. Been in electronics for over 55 years to date.
These things must send a data burst over the same phase cabling, so are not likely to do much damage, as long as the signal is not constant.
My first experiments in the late 60s was inducing Medium Wave over the power lines, it went for miles, but was only audible, directly under the overhead wires. Ultra low power can go a long way.
I'm getting a great deal of HF noise from solar inverters. Without a BHI noise cancellation unit, the lower HF bands would be unusable at times. Licenced since 1976, but only really active since 2006 - work always got in the way. GW8KBO.

Have already use these products and in the process of using them again on a job. Used them for
1. UFH where original installer forgot to run a signal back to the boiler for a call for heat.2
2. Switching of outside lights in a smart home install where the switched live was again not in the design.
3. New one is to replace a lightwave RF solution which has broken, this switches house lights on in a large factory as the employee entrance and location of switches are a very good distance away. For their price its a much cheaper solution that running cables.

So far so good

Remote locking/unlocking of premises - I already use for some premises, even the keyholders can not get access without my remote locking permission ( traditional mortice locks for keyholders but electric locks are controlled by me, I can lock or unlock permanently or momentarily as required). It gives me the final say

Remote locking/unlocking of premises - I already use for some premises, even the keyholders can not get access without my remote locking permission ( traditional mortice locks for keyholders but electric locks are controlled by me, I can lock or unlock permanently or momentarily as required). It gives me the final say
Obvious question, but it needs to be asked.
What provision is there for a means of escape should the Electronic door be locked with people inside.?
IE doors that still open from inside, as per fire regs.
This also defeats the security should someone want to get in by not closing the door properly when they leave.
What I am asking is can this lock still be defeated from the inside.?

Obvious question, but it needs to be asked.
What provision is there for a means of escape should the Electronic door be locked with people inside.?
IE doors that still open from inside, as per fire regs.
This also defeats the security should someone want to get in by not closing the door properly when they leave.
What I am asking is can this lock still be defeated from the inside.?
Good Question. My own shed with various tools in adds up to a pretty penny replacement-wise. So a mortice lock and key as standard but two 12v electro door releases too so even if you have the key or can pick the lock you still have the electro-magnet lock to beat from the outside (from the inside it`s as easy as two door handles if you wish to exit).

Good Question. My own shed with various tools in adds up to a pretty penny replacement-wise. So a mortice lock and key as standard but two 12v electro door releases too so even if you have the key or can pick the lock you still have the electro-magnet lock to beat from the outside (from the inside it`s as easy as two door handles if you wish to exit).
There is a spanner to jam the works though.
Most modern thieves don't go for the door.
They tend to cut a way in through the roof, or some other way such as the back or sides if its a wooden shed.
A camera and a bright floodlight can help in some cases. With an instant alert on your phone of any activity.
Local Caravan break ins are via a Window, using a blanket and a hammer.

There is a spanner to jam the works though.
Most modern thieves don't go for the door.
They tend to cut a way in through the roof, or some other way such as the back or sides if its a wooden shed.
A camera and a bright floodlight can help in some cases. With an instant alert on your phone of any activity.
Local Caravan break ins are via a Window, using a blanket and a hammer.
Shock sensor on roof. PIR detector for area, contact on door and trapdoor. CCTV cameras external. Not foolfproof I`ll admit but quite a bit of security there including the 5 lever mortice lock plus two electro locks on the entry/exit door - work on the basis of "whatever the mind of man can create, then the mind of man can destroy" and you will vastly reduce nasty surprises but you will never totally obliterate them

Shock sensor on roof. PIR detector for area, contact on door and trapdoor. CCTV cameras external. Not foolfproof I`ll admit but quite a bit of security there including the 5 lever mortice lock plus two electro locks on the entry/exit door - work on the basis of "whatever the mind of man can create, then the mind of man can destroy" and you will vastly reduce nasty surprises but you will never totally obliterate them
Many years ago, I heard a very good story.
A Man I worked with, never locked his house doors. he said "Locks are for honest Men".
Meaning that anyone who is honest will not steal, locks or not.

As smart devices become more reliable, so will their popularity.
I was thinking of using something like this to remote switch my house lighting circuit over to an Inverter, ready for the proposed hours long power cuts expected this Winter (At least I could keep the Lights on!).
Then I realised these devices run on mains, so, unless they have a built in Battery backup, I can't use them.
Can RF solutions answer my question please. Do they have a Battery Backup.?
If not, why not.??
Hi G1zQC-David, thanks for your question...
Unfortunately as with any receiver which is permanently powered, it would be impractical to use a battery backup because the Receiver cannot go to sleep as it needs to be listening 24/7 for an RF signal, which means that a battery would not last very long or rather would be impractically large for any length of duration.

The transmitter obtains its supply when the 230Vac input is active and incorporates a long life Capacitor which stores enough energy to transmit when the power is cut, so doesn’t need any form of battery backup. I hope this helps.
Many thanks
RF Solutions Team

Hi bluenorw,
This product does not employ any signals over the mains cabling. It uses Radio waves to transmit through the airwaves, to provide a Switched live cable replacement.
Many thanks
RF Solutions Team

Reply to Competition Time: WIN a MAINSLINK from RF Solutions Ltd in the Forum Sponsor News and Offers area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock