Discuss Electric shock and arm pain in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I stupidly got distracted on a job by a customer and forgot (no excuse I know..) didn't test for dead and grabbed the lighting cable after taking the light down earlier. A quick buzz but thought nothing of it. 3 or 4 days later arm pain, similar symptoms to tennis elbow, and arm weakness. Has anyone else been as daft as me? Could I have damaged one of the nerves? Is it coincidence? Doctor via email is next to useless.. Considering going private for a scan and an opinion?

Gas

Oops.

It’s possibly more the sudden muscle spasm as you pulled back causing any discomfort rather than the shock itself.

Check your own pulse if you can. That’s a clue if you’ve done serious damage
Pulse
Oops.

It’s possibly more the sudden muscle spasm as you pulled back causing any discomfort rather than the shock itself.

Check your own pulse if you can. That’s a clue if you’ve done serious damage
Aye, oops. More annoyed than anything. Not had a shock in 30 years!
Pulse seems ok...

I stupidly got distracted on a job by a customer and forgot (no excuse I know..) didn't test for dead and grabbed the lighting cable after taking the light down earlier. A quick buzz but thought nothing of it. 3 or 4 days later arm pain, similar symptoms to tennis elbow, and arm weakness. Has anyone else been as daft as me? Could I have damaged one of the nerves? Is it coincidence? Doctor via email is next to useless.. Considering going private for a scan and an opinion?

Gas
No not as daft as you, but if you are experiencing the symptoms you have I strongly suggest you visit you GP and explain what happened, don't delay could be nothing but nothing is simple get it sorted..

I've had a couple of moments of stupidity in this department and had a sore arm for a couple of days but all cleared up, but probably best to get checked out to make sure, your health is much more important than work.

Most likely you have pulled muscles in your arm due to the involuntary spasms caused by the 50hz shock.

the important thing to do is get checked out by a medical professional.
an ECG would be a good place to start as it is possible you have similar damage to the heart muscles that you don’t know about.

I have a VSD (Ventricular Septum Defect) yes I know have fun you lot, but the fact is that my HR is very erratic at the best of times, you would think I was fit when taking my heart rate at 48bpm with a fluttering feeling in the throat, but its missing every other beat, the real rate is over 100bpm and can get very debilitating, best not to take any chances with heart conditions, get it checked out if you have any doubt, best bet is go to the nearest A&E and complain of arm and chest pains as @telectrix suggests.

Reply to Electric shock and arm pain in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net