Discuss Electrical cert for motorhome in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Section 721 of the wiring regs (BS7671-2011) is dedicated to "Electrical installations in caravans and motor caravans" and states:

"A periodic inspection carried out preferably not less than once every three years and annualy if the motor/caravan is used frequently"

This should now be the new EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) not a PIR as shown in fig 721 of the BGB.

It should have also been supplied with an Electrical Installation Certificate when new.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
The NCC ( National Caravan Council) where promoting the PIR a few years ago as becoming part of the requirement for electric hook up on sites and all members of the Approved Workshop Scheme (AWS) had to train up to provide the PIR.

As far as I am aware the sites never took this on board and most people have ignored it. If you have your motorhome serviced by an AWS member you should be offered a PIR as an extra to the service from my knowledge I would suggest you contact an electrician as the methods taught by CITO who train the AWS members is not the ideal way of doing it and can be quite costly due to the strip down of the interior they require

I only know of one member (a mate of mine) of the AWS who is properly equipped and had the benefit of some extra training from me who can do it without taking the motorhome / caravan apart

For information the item that fails most is the hook up lead from low insulation resistance my mate has had them as low as 0.2MΩ

As previously stated you should have a PIR / EICR as to whether you will be asked to produce for hook up is a different matter but I would recommend using an electrician

Reply to Electrical cert for motorhome in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net