Discuss Electrical safety roundtable report.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The Electrical Safety Roundtable (ESR) was initiated by DCLG authorised registration body NAPIT in June 2012. It was formed initially as a temporary forum in response to widespread concern over poor promotion of competent registered electricians and enforcement of Approved Document P of the Building Regulations.

Feedback on the event from industry and parliamentarians made it clear that it had been extremely useful and that there was a need for an electrical industry group to meet regularly and work cooperatively on the challenges facing the sector and build consensus around potential policy solutions. Parliamentarians were also keen for industry to develop solutions to the issues it faces as a group and to have dialogue with policy makers as one consistent voice.

Since that first meeting the ESR has been formalised with a wide group of industry representatives formally signing up to participate. The ESR has a Board of Directors and is chaired by Chris Bielby, Chair of the Gas Safety Trust.

Ideas are developed by the ESR on an ongoing basis through the Roundtable meetings, and recommendations are communicated to key stakeholders within Whitehall and Westminster.

Its irrelevant who they are really. I was just interested in the report that they produced showing the facts of how badly policed it all is.

Last edited:
and totally ignored the fact that any person who can pass a cps assessment after a few weeks of basic training can be considered competent, whereas a time served spark who has done a proper course/apprenticeship, but chooses not to pay the cps ransom, is not deemed to be competent.

I am reading it now.

72% of LA have taken NO action against Part P non-compliance.

Only 1 (yes one) prosecution was successful in 3 years.

2% of LA attempt to prosecute if they deem Part P to be breached.

This is really poor. You know when you really do not want to accept things are in such a state and then you read something like this?

and totally ignored the fact that any person who can pass a cps assessment after a few weeks of basic training can be considered competent, whereas a time served spark who has done a proper course/apprenticeship, but chooses not to pay the cps ransom, is not deemed to be competent.

I personally would be in favour for a single non profit organisation run on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive just like gas safe to govern our industry where electricians would have to be registered and it would be a legal requirement for operatives and associated businesses.
we would all have a card with our picture and a licence number that could be easily checked against a single register. We would all have random checks carried out on our work just like gas safe and a sanctions, suspension and removal procedure that could be used to prosecute an individual or company carrying out electrical work if required once one of the above has been put in to place.

I personally would be in favour for a single non profit organisation run on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive just like gas safe to govern our industry where electricians would have to be registered and it would be a legal requirement for operatives and associated businesses.
we would all have a card with our picture and a licence number that could be easily checked against a single register. We would all have random checks carried out on our work just like gas safe and a sanctions, suspension and removal procedure that could be used to prosecute an individual or company carrying out electrical work if required once one of the above has been put in to place.

I could not agree more.

I am so upset with that ESR report that I have just e-mailed them asking to join.

I am reading it now.

72% of LA have taken NO action against Part P non-compliance.

Only 1 (yes one) prosecution was successful in 3 years.

2% of LA attempt to prosecute if they deem Part P to be breached.

This is really poor. You know when you really do not want to accept things are in such a state and then you read something like this?

pees you off a bit doesn't it.

Reply to Electrical safety roundtable report.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net