Discuss Electrician on the oil rigs ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone on here know or work on the rigs give me advice on what qualifications and courses do i need to take to work on the rigs, and a website where i can find vacancies for jobs. I have been a fully qualified electrician for 1 year after completing a 4 year apprenticeship i dont know if you have to be approved aswell.

As Shankey says, Compex is a must. You will need water survival course too, can't remember what the course is actually called though. There is also a lot of competition for jobs on the rigs and its really a case of who you know.

As said,you may come up against the old experience issue,but don't give up,i shoot with a fella who went to work on the rigs tears ago,as a joiner!....standing joke is that we reckon he spent every shift in the canteen...playing cards with the stone-mason...:stooge_curly:

As said,you may come up against the old experience issue,but don't give up,i shoot with a fella who went to work on the rigs tears ago,as a joiner!....standing joke is that we reckon he spent every shift in the canteen...playing cards with the stone-mason...:stooge_curly:
ive been to one of the masons, its like being on the set of the game of thrones

Very few building/construction electricians will have the necessary experience to work on offshore rigs, with or without Compex registration. Unfortunately, i doubt very much that your year out of your time will be able to impress anyone. You will be in a completely industrial environment for both rig maintenance and installation work. What's more you'll need to have MV and generator experience. These rigs come with some very sophisticated and expensive systems that you'll need to be able to get your head round....

I dare same some have got on to the rigs without meeting muster, but how long they managed to last is another matter, not very long would be my guess. When the crap hits the fan on these rigs, especially in bad weather conditions, ...everyone needs to know what they need to be doing and quickly, or people can get injured or killed!!

yeah i know i am currently not experienced enough i was just wanting to know the exact course i would need to take, i know some of the standard ones was more if there were any certain courses that electricians alone need to take or is just being a qualified electrician enough, i know a few people on the rigs but they aren't sparks, so if i got the qualifications they could possibly help me get in in a few years time, thanks for your help lads.

Compex, mist & bosiet are the basics they cost about 2k. Onshore refinery's , power plants, distillery's and pharmaceutical plants are good places to get experience. Best bet it's try get on a big oil and gas job doing installation and work from there. These things don't happen overnight and be prepared to work away from home on the above jobs unless your lucky enough to have one on your doorstep.
Best of luck with it

Reply to Electrician on the oil rigs ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net