Discuss Electricity to Shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SleepyW

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, sorry I’m posting in the DIY forum when I don’t actually want to do this myself, in fact I don’t even want to dig the trench myself, I can’t due to disability, only this seems to be the most relevant place!

Basically I want to hire someone early next year to do the job for me but I have no idea of what I should expect to pay. I’m looking to run a computer out there, and ideally would have 4 sockets. The fuse box is right by the front door and appears to have a spare “channel”, and the shed’s door opens into the same space the porch door opens into, if that makes sense, they are across the path from each other but the path is concrete and because the shed is a log cabin, the logs need to be allowed to swell which means that anything, like a conduit that would connect two logs to each other need to allow for this expansion or problems happen with the shed or the thing attached!

So my question is, what would be a fair price for this job, so I can properly budget for Christmas? Thanks!

SleepyW

We do not tend to price jobs in a forum.
State the area you are in and perhaps a local spark can pop by to quote for you?
There are so many variables it would be unfair to guess a figure with out a visit

Sleepy,

It says in your profile you live in Chichester. I’m in Havant which isn’t too far away. I can always pop over for a look at what you want doing if you’d like?

i'd factor in the cost of a new CU. that looks as if it's had more mods. than Skegness.

It's a housing association owned place, not sure if I would be allowed to do that and if it needs doing, I'll probably have to convince them to do it ? My permission is only for adding a supply for the shed

If you want a new circuit putting in the that falls under Part P and will is notifiable work. This costs extra to notify Building Control.
If the circuit in the shed will not draw more than 13A then you could spur off the ring main. This is not notifiable as its an alteration to a circuit and not a new one.

My computer has a 700W power supply, but doesn't get close to drawing that - before I changed the processor it peaked at 500W but the new chip draws less power. Then there's the associated bits - speakers etc which say 1.2A (each) and their amp is powered from the computer itself. Won't need a heater in there, I've had a thermometer to check The temp vs outside and it's fine for me. Not sure how that all adds into the 13A limit, if it's getting close I would rather pay and not take the risk!

straight forward job for anyone competent. The problem will be getting parts for the existing CU.

My wife has a similarly constructed building she use as an art studio. Bring the cable in under the floor. I studded all the walls out and insulated them and the ceilings. She now finds it very warm in there.

It's a housing association owned place, not sure if I would be allowed to do that and if it needs doing, I'll probably have to convince them to do it ? My permission is only for adding a supply for the shed
I was going to say maybe ask local authority to check the suitability or condition of CU and hopefully get it changed.

Unfortunately on looking at the board, even though it’s a bit rough I cannot find an issue that would constitute change of board.

I notice it’s had an EICR done in 2015 and is due another in 2022. Considering it’s a local authority guidelines state it should be tested every five years or change of occupancy. Sometimes less if install is starting to deteriorate.
For some reason yours has been given 7 years TIL next inspection.

That's interesting... Is this a case of "guidelines are a guide, not the law" do you think?

My RCD is a bit odd I have to say, it trips repeatedly in the leadup to a power cut. Since I noticed this, I've had a 100% prediction rate of power cuts with no false positives! I've even unplugged every appliance in the house, turned off every light and isolated the circuits and it still happens, but when I ask the power board, they say this can't be possible, rcd's can only act to things on my side of them... I'm not quite cheeky enough to warn them that they are about to have a power cut but my neighbours are grateful! The other thing is that it used to be a much longer lead up of trips but they did an upgrade which drastically reduced the number of power cuts we were getting (we had enough for a refund one year) and the time in advance of the power cut also reduced.

Not sure I can convince the LA to update it on that given that it's apparently technically impossible but interesting nonetheless.

That's interesting... Is this a case of "guidelines are a guide, not the law" do you think?

My RCD is a bit odd I have to say, it trips repeatedly in the leadup to a power cut. Since I noticed this, I've had a 100% prediction rate of power cuts with no false positives! I've even unplugged every appliance in the house, turned off every light and isolated the circuits and it still happens, but when I ask the power board, they say this can't be possible, rcd's can only act to things on my side of them... I'm not quite cheeky enough to warn them that they are about to have a power cut but my neighbours are grateful! The other thing is that it used to be a much longer lead up of trips but they did an upgrade which drastically reduced the number of power cuts we were getting (we had enough for a refund one year) and the time in advance of the power cut also reduced.

Not sure I can convince the LA to update it on that given that it's apparently technically impossible but interesting nonetheless.
correct it is just guidance not law, but....
By adhering to the guidance you adhere to the law.
Sounds odd I know, and many a debate has issued forth from this. Best not go there.

As for your tripping.

It is constituted bad design to have too many circuits on one RCD as you have. Also in your case you are getting frequent tripping issues, you may have a case.
By dividing the installations circuits into multiple RCD’ s you can limit the impact on a fault.
Or even eliminate tripping all together if the total earth leakage in the circuits protected by the RCD is close to the 30 mA. By dividing the circuits up you are dividing the total earth leakage between RCD’s.

Reply to Electricity to Shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock