Discuss Ex Squadie, Newbie to yourf field!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

scotty497

Hi Guys,
I know this must be the same thing that all you sparkys have heard a million times before on this site but i am in serious need of some advice. I have just recently been made redundant from the Army due to cutbacks. unfortunatley my trade was a driver. I have my Cat C, C+E and Haz Mat 1,2,3 in and out of tanks licences. Unfortunatley for me i can't think of anything worse than driving all over the UK delivering packages for a living. I really wanted to do something more and Electrician seemed the best way ahead! I worked as a Roofer for 3 years (possibly a help to all those renewable energy solar panel fitters out there) before i joined up and during that time the Electricians on site were my mentors and the guys i looked up to. Although i have contacts in Scotland willing to help me out i am currently living in Beverley near Hull although am due to move to the Oxfordshire area around July. At present i have passed DEI and 17th Edition courses and before february i will have Inspection and Testing and Personal Appliance Testing (PAT Testing) under my belt. I have also completed the Health and Saftey Exam and the Part P section of DEI (Not a Quall i know) but hopefully a bonus. What im looking for is someone to help me out with experience. Any kind will do. Willing to work for very minimum wages (possibly Free) depending on what type of work you offer!! Anyone out there looking for a Grafter with the willingness to learn or anyone just looking to offer advice to a newbie just starting out would be greatley appreciated!!

Many Thanks

Scotty

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Gaz,

A Little advice about how you guys got to where you are wouldn't go a miss though!! Just wish i had done an apprentiship when i had the chance.

Thanks for the boost though!!

Wow,

So glad i got on here, good to know there is some support out there!! Peterdaniels!! What type of companys did you call!! honestly mate! i'm at a complete loss. No confidence as im not a sparky! anything would help!

Cheers

If you copied and pasted the description of yourself and sent that to every Tom Dick and Harry electrical firm in your area,I suspect it would be looked at with interest rather than the usual binning of such things
It gives of a good impression and may pay dividends for you
Good luck

when i left the mob, (i was a sapper), i had carried out all of the training for the 2360 part 1 and 2, and passed all of the exams, apart from the AM2, which took place while i was in hospital through my own stupidity. The problem was, that unless you passed every exam, the army would not issue any certificates.
so i had all of the theory knowledge, and had been shown how to carry out most tasks once, and had practiced it once in a 6x6x6 ft bay.
Thye oproblem was, i had no idea how to apply this knowledge, and how to overcome common problems in a normal sparks line of work.
I was offered the 2391 as resettlement, alonfg with the 16th edition.
I applied for jobs as a sparks mate, and worked for 3years under an old boy in a water feature company, and a few agency jobs house bashing. I went to college, just to take the 2330 exams, to qualify as an electricain. I then did the NVQ 3 and 17th. I qualified 2 years ago, and love being an electrician. I asked some very stupid questions along the way, but because i worked under some great blokes, im confident in my own abilities, and i would say im a good, knowledgeable spark. I have gaps in my knowledge (central heating for example) but when the time comes for me to need to do this type of work, ive got enough knowledge in other areas, that i think i could cope.

Please dont think your competent to go and work for yourself, because your probably not. Get yourself a job as a sparks mate, and do as your asked, and ask to be shown how to do things, and if you could help out with the more technical tasks. That way, you will gain experience, and respect. You could do evening classesatcollege to get the City and guilds/NVQ, so that you will have the theoretical knowldege of industrial and commercial installations too. this will mean that your earning potential is then greater too.

Johnboy thanks for the advice. Its brilliant to hear from someone whos been where i am now and had some success.

You hit the nail on the head with what you wrote. I know i dont have enough knowledge to go it alone. I definetley think a Sparkies mate would be the way ahead. When i move to oxfordshire thats definetley the path i want to take. Like i said though at present im living in the Hull area and will be for the next 6 months or so. I dont want to mess anyone around by applying for a job when i know it's only going to be short term. What im after is someone who could just use a hand and maybe show me a thing or 2 so i can keep what i've learned fresh in my head until i move. The last of my courses finishes at the beginning of February and i really cant afford to take six months out or id be right back where i started.

Hi & welcome.:)

Reply to Ex Squadie, Newbie to yourf field!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net