Discuss Newbie looking for answer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Deco3d

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have started a new venture as a coffee shop owner and have gone out and bought my machine . Unknown to me the shop unit is not kitted out for three phase . I told the owner of the shop and he said he is at his max and just use a 32 amp socket . This is riddles to me and I don’t know what it means . I have attached a file with specifics on the machine . And I wonder can a transformer or something be used . Any response is appreciated

Attachments

• EDF2AFA7-9452-430F-A84C-B9EF2FC15A07.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi everyone I have started a new venture as a coffee shop owner and have gone out and bought my machine . Unknown to me the shop unit is not kitted out for three phase . I told the owner of the shop and he said he is at his max and just use a 32 amp socket . This is riddles to me and I don’t know what it means . I have attached a file with specifics on the machine . And I wonder can a transformer or something be used . Any response is appreciated
All the individual components in the machine seem to be 240V, and I suspect the choice between a single and 3 phase connection can be made when wiring it up. Such details should be in the installation manual.

If you've got the 3 chrome unit model, running it from 240V will consume about 25 Amps, so you will need the suggested plug and socket, or have it wired permanently into a cooker style connection unit.

All the individual components in the machine seem to be 240V, and I suspect the choice between a single and 3 phase connection can be made when wiring it up. Such details should be in the installation manual.

If you've got the 3 chrome unit model, running it from 240V will consume about 25 Amps, so you will need the suggested plug and socket, or have it wired permanently into a cooker style connection unit.
So single phase is still different to a normal plug (3 pin ) I presume , is there some sort of converter to go from a normal socket to then plug the electrical connection into that ? Or does it have to be hard wired somewhere . Sorry for my ignorance and really appreciate the reply .

So single phase is still different to a normal plug (3 pin ) I presume , is there some sort of converter to go from a normal socket to then plug the electrical connection into that ? Or does it have to be hard wired somewhere . Sorry for my ignorance and really appreciate the reply .
You can't put a normal 13A plug on it, because they are not designed for 25A, and the fuse in the 13A plug will blow.
You have to wire it in permanently, or put the correct plug on it, and have a socket installed if there is not one there.

This sort of plug if single phase and just three wires
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/abb-32a-2p-e-connector-250v/6803X?

That is surely not the entire instructions? What cable is on the machine - how many wires in it and what colours?

You can't put a normal 13A plug on it, because they are not designed for 25A, and the fuse in the 13A plug will blow.
You have to wire it in permanently, or put the correct plug on it, and have a socket installed if there is not one there.

This sort of plug if single phase and just three wires
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/abb-32a-2p-e-connector-250v/6803X?

That is surely not the entire instructions? What cable is on the machine - how many wires in it and what colours?
So have just come across the same machine on a Google search and it can run only on a 32amp power supply or three phase . So that leads me to my next question . If owner of the building has told me he is at his max with power supply and there is only three pin sockets in the unit , what can I do ?

Attachments

• 5D75CDD0-4D0A-40B7-B8C9-8125A4AF6625.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 31
So have just come across the same machine on a Google search and it can run only on a 32amp power supply or three phase . So that leads me to my next question . If owner of the building has told me he is at his max with power supply and there is only three pin sockets in the unit , what can I do ?

This would appear to confirm the machine can run on a single phase 32A supply.

In the OP you stated the shop's owner told you to use a 32A socket, which would seem to be sound advice. A 32A socket is a 3 pin socket, but of a different type to the 13A sockets you would be familiar with.

This would appear to confirm the machine can run on a single phase 32A supply.

In the OP you stated the shop's owner told you to use a 32A socket, which would seem to be sound advice. A 32A socket is a 3 pin socket, but of a different type to the 13A sockets you would be familiar with.
Thank you a lot ! So is just a matter of changing the plug ? Or installing a new one

And this can be done by either installing a new socket to take a 32amp socket or by using a transformer of some sort from the 3pin into the machine ?

And is the only difference between using 32amp vs 3 phase is the speed in which the machine will perform and kettles will boil?
Sorry this is a bit late, but just to answer the above query, there is no difference in the machines performance whether you run it from single phase or 3 phase, it still consumes the same power and heats up in the same time. It just takes more current from single phase, and less from 3 phase. But it would still use the same amount of kilowatt-hours of electricity to make your coffee, whether it is run from single or 3 phase electricity!

Sorry this is a bit late, but just to answer the above query, there is no difference in the machines performance whether you run it from single phase or 3 phase, it still consumes the same power and heats up in the same time. It just takes more current from single phase, and less from 3 phase. But it would still use the same amount of kilowatt-hours of electricity to make your coffee, whether it is run from single or 3 phase electricity!
Thank you for that !

Reply to Newbie looking for answer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net