Discuss Flicker brake lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. My son purchased these new led flicker brake light bulbs for his ute (they flash for 3 seconds then go solid).
They work fine with engine off, but with engine running they simply go solid straight away.
Any advice?

An interesting situation - I came across this (from USA I think):
Does your son's vehicle have a CANbus, which is a further complication?

Suggestions I've seen include trying the bulb in the holder the other way round, using a resistor (presumably across the bulb), or putting a capacitor across the bulb! No idea of values!

Of course putting an LED bulb in a brake circuit that has bulb failure detection designed for an incandescent bulb may also lead to warning messages on the dashboard!

An interesting situation - I came across this (from USA I think):
Does your son's vehicle have a CANbus, which is a further complication?

Suggestions I've seen include trying the bulb in the holder the other way round, using a resistor (presumably across the bulb), or putting a capacitor across the bulb! No idea of values!

Of course putting an LED bulb in a brake circuit that has bulb failure detection designed for an incandescent bulb may also lead to warning messages on the dashboard!
No canbus, older car 2007 Triton, very basic.

The main difference with the engine running will be the higher voltage (around 14.5VDC). It shouldn't matter, but do you have a variable power supply you could use to try this theory?

CANbus has been used in vehicles in one form or another since the mid to late 90's so your vehicle will have a CANbus connecting all the ECU's
I was under the impression CANbus was more a European thing and may not have been adopted so quickly for the Australian market?

I was under the impression CANbus was more a European thing and may not have been adopted so quickly for the Australian market?
The US mandated the OBD-II standard for cars and light trucks in 1996 and in Europe the EOBD standard was introduced in 2001 for petrol and 2004 for diesel. Also there was a lot of vehicles both petrol and diesel around that were using CANbus pre the 2001 implementation date
I would suspect that many vehicles in Austrailia had CANbus around that time given that a good number of their vehicles are derivatives of European, US and Japanese vehicles which all had CANbus at that time

Reply to Flicker brake lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net