Discuss Help!! Diagnosis help. Hotpoint FETC 70 dryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am totally new to fixing things but with the help of YouTube I think I've diagnosed my tumble dryer, now, I'd just like to know what others think before I go buying parts... its the Hotpoint FETC 70 condenser dryer & the red light for "empty water" is constantly on despite the draw being empty & it wasn't heating up either. I discovered the overflow reservoir at the bottom back of the dryer which was full of water, I worked out that the water was causing the float to rise which of course triggers the "empty water" light. So I sponged all the water out, removed the pump & float, took it all to the sink for a good clean, checked it over & all seems in working order. The little black thing inside the pump is intact & in the right place. I put it all back together, turned the dryer on & voila it was heating up! So I can use the dryer but I have to keep sponging the water out of the reservoir because when it's full, the red light comes back on & it stops heating up. So with all this in mind sense tells me it's not the belt because the drum turns, it's not the thermostat or anything else electrical because it heats up so the only thing left is the pump itself. I have found a pump & float kit on ebay but I just want to know if anyone can confirm for certain that this is the part I need? The black motor looking part that sits on top with the wires on it heats up so does anyone agree that it's a new pump & float kit that I need? Sorry this is long & thank you for your time

TL;DR
Have I diagnosed the issue with my tumble dryer correctly before I go buying parts?
Hi if the pump motor is getting warm then that could indicate that it's working, and that the problem is a blockage, (usually fluff) somewhere. Check that the pump impeller and outlet hose to the water container drawer are all clear first before buying new parts.

Your diagnostics do indicate that the problem is water not being pumped from the reservoir, but check for a blockage first.

Those are the only pipes I have not checked so thank you, I will do that. So do you mean if the pump motor is getting warm then the whole pump is working? Or could it be that the motor works and its the rotating part within the pump itself that's broken? Thanks in advance

Those are the only pipes I have not checked so thank you, I will do that. So do you mean if the pump motor is getting warm then the whole pump is working? Or could it be that the motor works and its the rotating part within the pump itself that's broken? Thanks in advance
Yes, it could be working, but a blockage somewhere is stopping the water getting away. However, the fact that it's warm could be a "red herring" as the whole area and waste water are warm.

If you are sure there is no obstruction anywhere then it's not really worth servicing as a replacement is cheap. Here is a link to what I believe is what you want and video on how to fit it.

Yes, it could be working, but a blockage somewhere is stopping the water getting away. However, the fact that it's warm could be a "red herring" as the whole area and waste water are warm.

If you are sure there is no obstruction anywhere then it's not really worth servicing as a replacement is cheap. Here is a link to what I believe is what you want and video on how to fit it.

Link Tumble Dryer Water Pump | eSpares - https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1591667?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwitShBhA6EiwAq3RqA3vfDZo-Uj5WKbUN495EgLfFOG0GfoiIFmeeIoBZTGtzq7gD1zs5pBoCYoQQAvD_BwE

Reply to Help!! Diagnosis help. Hotpoint FETC 70 dryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net