Discuss help with an assignment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davedwr1978

Hi I have an assignment for college I have to tender for a complete electrical fit, how would I work out how much cable is needed, or do I just measure every room

This is the second question of this sort this week. I'm struggling to believe what the need for this question is. Why an earth does a college syllabus contain such stupidity.

dave, just write, i'd consult with the archictect or the client as to what was required per room.

or

how longs a piece of string?

Either answer IMO is adequate.

Even if this is a college question there is no way there's enough information there to answer it. How big is the building? What circuits are going in? etc etc. Markc's answer about the architect is the correct one.

The usual method for determining this, is to measure the proposed cable runs, then add on something for each point of utilisation, perhaps half a meter or as much as one meter per point.

How about telling us how big the home is, how many rooms and how you expect to divide up the socket and lighting circuits??

Otherwise I'd say 200m 2.5 and 300m 1.5, 15m 3c 1.0, 15m of 10mm, plus 50m of 10mm gy

But you cannot answer this question wrongly as it is up to you to set your own prices.

Its not like going to a supermarket to do the BIG shop..................

I think the OP is asking how to go about determining approximate amounts of cables when faced with a plan and a requirement to tender.....perfectly reasonable question and no further info needs to be given in order to provide an answer....refer to post #5

I think the OP is asking how to go about determining approximate amounts of cables when faced with a plan and a requirement to tender.....perfectly reasonable question and no further info needs to be given in order to provide an answer....refer to post #5

I agree to an extent but we all charge different amounts for labour, materials and OH&P. So the only parts that have to be reasonably accurate are the material quantities and labour hours surely.

Request a scaled plan & spec sheet then draw on your proposed circuits & runs + accessories per circuit, then use a scaled rule to work out the circuit lengths add some for drops down to switches & up to sockets & add & a % for waste.
Use the likes of TLC to get cable prices per meter for your cable cost & do the same for the accessories, add a % (20%) to materials (in the real world you'd get a quote from your supplier then add 20%)
Work out how many skilled & unskilled bodies you'll have on site & for how many days, work out what their pay will be & any other overheads there may be (plant hire, fuel, insurance blah blah)
Tot it all up add a % so you make a profit.

Give estimated start & completion times

Put a What you think and we will advice. Done my 3.5 years at collage. If you getting your homework done by others then you ain't going to learn.

Put your workings and we can advice. However I quoted for two rewires in the same type house In December, cooker shower and garage. etc Ranged from £1700 - £3000 due to the requirements and spec of fittings etc

Try asking a plaster how much to plaster my house or a plumber how much for a heating system. Impossible to quote unless we are give all the info. A ball park figure can be given however in these cases I Allways air on the side of caution and state its impossible to quote unless you know the whole spec..

i'm currently doing the same as the OP for a design project - its very time consuming measuring cable lengths for a 30 circuit DB using entirely roof space containment lol.

course was fine
exam was a train-wreck lol.

but good progress on the project this week -
after 200 smokes , 22 expresso's , and 19 hours solid studying the drawings i've decided.......

where to put the first socket.
:-D

having just 2nd fixed a bedroom, the TV socket and aerial point are now going to be behind a fitted wardrobe, and the client is having the TV built into the bed. and you think you've got problems.

Reply to help with an assignment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net