Discuss Hi All, Quick intro and thinking of a career change, so need some advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

These guys are in Cardiff... they don't show an evening option on their website... but call them ? See what they say ?

Thanks Z,

Its looking more and more like its going to be a centre and will going to cost a arm and leg job!

Local College is full and wont let you do level 2. A college is Cardiff, I have left a message for call back as you can't get through to them, might have something there.

They do have a load of mini basic home electrics intros (p/t sessions over a couple for weeks)! I might get on them in the mean time just to get a taste of looking at wire diagrams and intro into regs.

They also had a PAT course, 18th regs and H&S courses. I think they are a little more setup for tech stuff, might get lucky there, if I get through to them as they might have something else to offer.

Apart from that, its looking like centres, either local and see what they charge (tech) and compare than to some of the far afield one from me like morris, trade skills etc. Either way, its going to be a expensive choice to retrain.

Latest update,

Heard back from the college and they said I need to do level 1 and can be put on a waiting list if a place comes available as its full.

But looking at the learning info this is level 1

"Follow health and safety regulations and legislations at all times • Select the appropriate tools and materials for a given task • Terminate and wire single phase lighting and power circuits found in domestic dwellings • Carryout the basic inspections and testing procedures for the required wiring systems • To use fabrication techniques for electrical enclosures and support systems, such as PVC and steel conduit, trunking and tray work systems."

This is Level 2

"You will study four units, which are: Effective & Safe Working; Principals of Electro Technology; Health & Safety & Electrical Principles and Installation."

Requirements stated

"You will require 4 GCSEs at grades A*- D including English, Maths and Science or another Level 1 qualification."

So level 1 not necessary...I think and course info also states

"This course is suitable for learners with no previous experience of electrical installation. It will incorporate the basic skills of the craft and an introduction to the supervisory areas of the industry. The qualification recognises your job knowledge and tests the skills you have acquired."

Really unsure what to do as level 1 - I have done a bit of wiring and risk assessment work before.

And as everyone says it looks really basic.

Any thoughts

The system is the system...

I had a similar thing when I did the amateur radio exams a few years back... There are 3 levels; Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced. You must do them in that order, NO exceptions. For the Foundation stage, we had an 8 year old taking the exam ! Kinda makes you wonder what it's all about...

Yip total madness,

Level 2 2365 you can go straight into in some places, but colleges insist level 1. But their requirements state, you don't need any experience for level 2 or just 4 gcses or a level 1. The requirements are just mental and make no sense.

Me and my son both did the basic radio course and waiting to do our Intermediate .

My son was about 10/11 I think, but now he's too busy with his gcse's!

All the grandads in the place were well chuffed, when the wee man passed.

Just wait for a reply, worse case is a waiting list for level 1. If no place, its next year for college for level 1. Looking at that, I will be in my 50's by the time I qualify.

Unless I sell my body parts to go on a training course.

The system is the system...

I had a similar thing when I did the amateur radio exams a few years back... There are 3 levels; Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced. You must do them in that order, NO exceptions. For the Foundation stage, we had an 8 year old taking the exam ! Kinda makes you wonder what it's all about...

crazy. my son left school with no gcse's whatever (long story, irrelevant). he did a couple of yearsworking with a spark, then went straight into level 2 evenings at local college.

College came back and stated the Dept said that level 1 work is carried into level 2, so it does not allow anyone going straight to level 2.

Totally baffled by that, not even sure what City & Guilds they are running.

Asked to be put on the waiting list incase someone drops out for level 1.

Waiting game now, but will look at some courses in a Cardiff which offer some basic home electrics tasters for about £30 for a couple of weeks.

Stuck at the moment.

That's weird, a mature student you should go straight in to level 2. The level 1 courses are normally for those who go full time & leaving school without the relevant grades.

I take it this course is a Part/time course?

You really do not want to spend a year on the level 1 as you'll learn everything what you'd learn on the level 1 on the level 2.

Yes P/T, I know, I am totally stumped on hearing their reply as they took nothing on board of my Science degree and 30+ years work experience!

Specially, since you need no qualifications to enter into level1! but 4 gcses or a level 1 qualification to go into level 2.

It's a real shame, totally putting me off.

I spoke to a owner of a building company who came to fit the worktop over the weekend (my cousins friend, who came in last min as our original fitter pulled out).

Turned out to be a qualified Spark for many years. He said college is the way forward, but advise against the centers, that was his 2 pence!

Oddly enough, he said level 1 was basic too over the weekend!

The only other route will be the C&G 2365, if college is out.

That's weird, a mature student you should go straight in to level 2. The level 1 courses are normally for those who go full time & leaving school without the relevant grades.

I take it this course is a Part/time course?

You really do not want to spend a year on the level 1 as you'll learn everything what you'd learn on the level 1 on the level 2.

It's a intro course and some of its info, ths leads to a level 2 Elec Inst.

Looking at the pages - 2 evenings per week, 3 hrs sessions.

Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Electrical Installation

"Follow health and safety regulations and legislations at all times • Select the appropriate tools and materials for a given task • Terminate and wire single phase lighting and power circuits found in domestic dwellings • Carryout the basic inspections and testing procedures for the required wiring systems • To use fabrication techniques for electrical enclosures and support systems, such as PVC and steel conduit, trunking and tray work systems."

"No formal entry requirements
You will be invited to attend an interview, and will undertake an assessment in literacy and numeracy, to establish any support required."

On a waiting list for it, but really undecided

Ahh what was the qualification for the level 1 called Godzilla?

I have just looked on their website Godzilla and I cannot find the course code whether the course is EAL, or City and Guilds 2365 or 8202.

The 2365 I know you can start on the level 2 ( rules may be different in wales but I doubt it), so I am wondering whether or not its the EAL or 8202 where the criteria may be different.

Either course will get you the same qualification.

I've said it several times on this illustrious forum, but the whole qualification structure needs to be scrapped and re-worked. We need a coherent, logical format that allows multiple entry points for all and properly tests candidates abilities.

And don't forget that some of these modern courses were designed to keep the NEETs figures down... (Not in Education, Employment or Training).

The college did not give much info at all expect I had to start at level 1.

I poped into Cardiff to a local training centre and this morning and was given this information (waiting for the 2365 2/3 email and costs).

Options with them were as follows.

TRAINING
This course will gain you the highest level 3 qualification with City & Guilds & EAL.

The Essential Electrics is 6 weeks: Cardiff or 12 Weekends
· EAL 600/7695/1 level 3- Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings
· 18th Edition Wiring Regulations (2382)
- EAL Part P Building Regulation
Price: £2850 inc VAT & Fees.

Essential Electrics Plus is 6 weeks: Cardiff or 14 Weekends
Will also give you 2 further qualifications in addition to those above:
· Fundamental Inspection & Testing (2392) level 2
· PAT Testing (2377-22/32 ) including management.
Price: £3850 inc VAT & Fees.

Advanced Electrics is 7 Weeks Training: Cardiff or 14 Weekends (Plus 5 days, 1 week fulltime week Mon-Fri)
This course benefits from all of the above qualifications along with the sought after Level 3 Inspection & Testing (2391-52) Initial Verification & Periodics
This qualification is City & Guilds and allows you to sign work off of others, issue ECIR reports , Landlord certifications and is also a QS qualification in the industry
Price: £4500.00 inc VAT & Fees.

From what I have learned here,

There are courses that are a wasye of money or the Certs gained, in the bigger scheme of things won't add to much.

I need to sieve through all the above to see, what is actually any good or does C/G 2365 2/3 is the ones to do, I think that's about 6K in costs.

Zerax, you are right, its a whole mess, I never come across this before in qualifications.

I've said it several times on this illustrious forum, but the whole qualification structure needs to be scrapped and re-worked. We need a coherent, logical format that allows multiple entry points for all and properly tests candidates abilities.

And don't forget that some of these modern courses were designed to keep the NEETs figures down... (Not in Education, Employment or Training).

Yep All those above Godzilla are additional qualifications which will normally be taking after completing your level 2 and 3 2365/8202 or those who already work within the industry

Funny thing is I went to the Cardiff True Tech to ask about the 2365 2/3 and they sent me the info, I listed above.

I did speak to one of the main persons', who give me the pathway info from 2365 and said it gonna cost about 6.5-9K+, if I went on to the NVQ AM2 and look to complete the full qualified route. i will hold off until I get their 2365 info by email.

But all the above reads like a midlife crisis cost, but with no roadster on the drive!

Even, if I get my head around their advance electrics course, their handful of qualifications don't even explain, if that's worth a 2365 level 2 or you move straight onto the 2365 level 3!

I will keep on researching on the 2365 and see if i can get a couple of quotes together at the same time. This will hopefully narrow down a course which offers value for money.

My cousin's reply was become a drone pilot, its cheaper!!

Yep All those above Godzilla are additional qualifications which will normally be taking after completing your level 2 and 3 2365/8202 or those who already work within the industry

i went through career change in mid 40's goal posts have changed a few times since i started wiring regs are the biggest pain in the arse with the regular updates i have done the 2365 route it's expensive but when you are working and studying it was the only way to do it i know a few sparky's in south wales who recommend xs training said they were very helpful through their course i think they are based in cwmbran watch out for some of these fast track courses they are not what they advertise and you may end up paying for stuff you don't need i would recommend the full scope course over the domestic installers course as it covers commercial and domestic work and it is not as easy to find work for experience in the domestic side.

Cheers Mark,

I will see where this XS Training is based in Cwmbran, the only one I could find is based in Yorkshire. Cwmbran is only a couple of junctions away from me.

Yes, the fast track stuff has so many certs, when you read them, half don't make any sense as their structure does not tell you that you are on route to the full qualifications.

That's why I have started to look at 2365 only!

Another problem I have, I still have school runs and that's a major pain for some daytime courses and will be juggling act.

Cheers for the input.

i went through career change in mid 40's goal posts have changed a few times since i started wiring regs are the biggest pain in the arse with the regular updates i have done the 2365 route it's expensive but when you are working and studying it was the only way to do it i know a few sparky's in south wales who recommend xs training said they were very helpful through their course i think they are based in cwmbran watch out for some of these fast track courses they are not what they advertise and you may end up paying for stuff you don't need i would recommend the full scope course over the domestic installers course as it covers commercial and domestic work and it is not as easy to find work for experience in the domestic side.

You ever thought about going down the Domestic installer route Godzilla? Or have you got your heart set on working on the industrial/commercial sector hence why you want to go the 2365, I&T, Am2, NVQ route.

HI Jaws,

I have thought about the domestic side alot, but I am really keen to break into the Solar, EV and Green Energy sector. I know that industry will fully exploded in about 3-5 years time.

My Degree was Geology and Environmental Pollution Sci - so I have dipped in and out of the 'world is going to end' science and renewables energy for the last 25 years (yes, we should of gone green back in the 70's, the tipping point we past yonks ago)!

My wife worked as a inhouse lawyer for a green solar/wind company a few years back, some great stories of the work that is going on and sparks and tech they need in that industry is growing.

So thought, I better get fully qualified and be trained up, if I can find the best route. The Solar and EV servicing side will open up a avenue, and is a sector I have a interest in! Also fully qualified in that sector opens the industry for all types of work.

Reading this site like mad and the costs involved with domestic is about 3-4K!

So, where I am still confused, the Cardiff place offered this..

""Advanced Electrics is 7 Weeks Training: Cardiff or 14 Weekends (Plus 5 days, 1 week fulltime week Mon-Fri)
This course benefits from all of the above qualifications along with the sought after Level 3 Inspection & Testing (2391-52) Initial Verification & Periodics
This qualification is City & Guilds and allows you to sign work off of others, issue ECIR reports , Landlord certifications and is also a QS qualification in the industry
Price: £4500.00 inc VAT & Fees.""

But, with this do I still need to go onto the 2365 2 or 3, so that's another £6K. This extra cost is before, I go on again further (this is where they were a little vague, what route after their advance course).

Tradeskills have their 5 steps, but again you are about 3-4k in before they say, you need to do the 2365 2 top up and then the level 3 2365, the costs pile and you end up with pile of certificates!

Everyone here on this thread have given their advice, helped me check the replies I have had to date and offered some great points.

Most have said go straight into 2365 2/3 as that covers bits or most of them ( in domestic) and then pick and chose any top up certs as you go!

In a bit of a crossroads as few people have mentioned its a right mish mash and every company has got too many flowerly sugar coated names for their courses.

So stuck at 2365 2/3 straight away ot get into industry, but there is the dom route, but that's a lump of a cost, but you still need to go much further to get fully qualified!

The worse thing is, I will need to use savings to fund it, I can't any funding help either! So, more pressure to make the right choice!

You ever thought about going down the Domestic installer route Godzilla? Or have you got your heart set on working on the industrial/commercial sector hence why you want to go the 2365, I&T, Am2, NVQ route.

On the 5 steps to become an electrician on the Trades skills website is not quite correct, its their sales pitch as you don't need step 1 or step 2 as step 1 and step 2 will all be learned in your level 2.

As for the 2391-52 that they offered you I am 95% sure that this course is not in place to teach you how to inspect & test, they are not there to show you how to use a tester etc, nor safe isolation, testing single phase, 3ph etc etc you should already know all this, they're there solely to examine your competence/skill knowledge to make sure you know what you're doing.

To learn how to use testers, safe isolation, initial verification etc etc you would go on the C&G 2392 testing course or a Domestic installer course where the 2392 will be chucked in with it or you'll do the 2365 to which it will all be learned on there too.

Reply to Hi All, Quick intro and thinking of a career change, so need some advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net