Discuss Hi - switch question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Henry1

DIY
Reaction score
I wanted to know if there are any UK regs prohibiting having the fan switched so that it comes on independently of the light (ie just the fan or light or both)

It depends on whether you have a window in the bathroom, if you can open a window, the fan can be switched independently. If there are no windows then the fan must come on and stay on for 30 minutes after switching on the light (thats the building regs bit)...

It depends on whether you have a window in the bathroom, if you can open a window, the fan can be switched independently. If there are no windows then the fan must come on and stay on for 30 minutes after switching on the light (thats the building regs bit)...
I have a window in the bathroom - does this mean that a dual switch would be OK on the wall outside of the room? sorry being a bit dense but don't want to do anything wrong ☹

I have a window in the bathroom - does this mean that a dual switch would be OK on the wall outside of the room? sorry being a bit dense but don't want to do anything wrong ☹
A seperate light switch and fan switch is quite normal outside of a windowed bathroom. The problem will be how to wire them up correctly And the fan itself may need to be adjusted. There should be a separate isolator switch for the fan anyway, is this the case?

A seperate light switch and fan switch is quite normal outside of a windowed bathroom. The problem will be how to wire them up correctly And the fan itself may need to be adjusted. There should be a separate isolator switch for the fan anyway, is this the case?
yes - it's currently wired up separate to the light switch - but won't come on without the light being on which is a bit of a pain with the lighter mornings / evenings as I don't necessarily need the light on.

Reply to Hi - switch question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net