Discuss Retractive switch question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hopefully just a quick one, but I can't seem to find a definite answer.

Will a push to break/make (ie not momentary) 2 way retractive switch work correctly with a standard 2 way switch and an intermediate switch?
So 3 way switching with one of the 2 ways being a retractive type?
The particular switch brand in question is click.

Cheers for any replies!

Retractive switches are momentary... they only close their contacts whilst the switch is pressed, let the switch go and it returns to the off position, so I think there is some misunderstanding at work here, because a normal 2 way switch could be considered a push to make, push to break type switch because you have to push it in one direction or the other.

With that in mind, can you elaborate on what exactly you are trying to achieve.

Hi all,

Hopefully just a quick one, but I can't seem to find a definite answer.

Will a push to break/make (ie not momentary) 2 way retractive switch work correctly with a standard 2 way switch and an intermediate switch?
So 3 way switching with one of the 2 ways being a retractive type?
The particular switch brand in question is click.

Cheers for any replies!
If the retractive switch you want to use is the Click MD004PW, which is basically a push button (ie assumes one position all the time, and you have to hold it down for the other position) then I think it would work.

On the other hand if the switch you are talking about had a 'centre off' position and you can press the top or press the bottom, then I don't think lights will come on at all until you press, and pressing one side will work and pressing the other won't, and you wouldn't necessarily know which side you would need to press 🤪

Cheers guys, think I've misunderstood how the click MD004PW works, I thought it would function the same way as a Quinetic 'click' module switch which is retractive but each press is off or on, it's not momentary.

I need to use one of the Quinetic click grid switches with another click standard switch in a 2 gang switch plate, and was hoping they could both be retractive types for better functionality, but appears this is not possible, so will just accept one being standard and one retractive!

Retractive switches are often used in place of 2W + intermediate switches when there are a many switches, such as a long corridor with multiple doors opening on to it, each requiring a switch for the corridor lights outside of it. These simple retractive switches are parallel connected to an impulse relay which switches the lights.
Impulse relays can be single module DIN devices, which will sit on the DIN rail in a consumer unit.

Retractive switches are often used in place of 2W + intermediate switches when there are a many switches, such as a long corridor with multiple doors opening on to it, each requiring a switch for the corridor lights outside of it. These simple retractive switches are parallel connected to an impulse relay which switches the lights.
Impulse relays can be single module DIN devices, which will sit on the DIN rail in a consumer unit.
I did actually think about using relays to get a momentary retractive switch to work in my situation, but obviously would be way overkill to fix a minor inconvenience of difference types of switches!

The relay can also be one of the switches Elkay 2235A-1 Energysense White 3 Wire Touch Timer 16A 240V. L & N in and as many switch wires out as you like feeding retractive switches, any pulse from any one of the switch returns will activate the light switch for the predetermined (by dipswitches) time. The timer can also be activated by touching the (illuminated) switch itself

Reply to Retractive switch question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net