Discuss Houses in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have an even more controversial approach ... lifelong commitment to one partner meaning less 'single partner' households! I am sorry if I offend.

I always remember a saying from an old history teacher, highly articulate individual, well versed in the intricacies of lifes rich tapestry. I remember him saying it like it was yesterday. "When the money goes..... so does the hoes!!

All the petrol station are car washes these days. Building on the land is difficult because of the underground storage tanks.

Still, nice to get an air freshener with a platinum wash.
Yes they wait until they get the permit, then up go the flats. What I find strange is some ex garage sites get permits quicker than others. Anyone else noticed this.

I have an even more controversial approach ... lifelong commitment to one partner meaning less 'single partner' households! I am sorry if I offend.

... and no second 'holiday' homes!

Aye, another chum, divorced, own house, remarried and living in hers, he's coining it on the rental, Barstard!!!

Big scam here is council 'tenants' renting out there homes while they live elsewhere as 'tenant' under new partners name.

God help the next generation of home owners. I just turned 22 when I bought (got a mortgage) for my first house, but things were different back then. These days you need to have a squeaky clean credit reference, a works contract for a min of 3 years (kind of) and an expendable income 50% of your outgoings + a savings account with the same mortgage provider + an overly expensive insurance policy in-case you default.

All of that just to buy (and lets face it) a rubbish quick build to the lowest contractor/s! Any electrician on here that has worked on new builds know what I mean. I could design and build a house/home for £10k more but it would be 10 times better. The flood gates are starting to open gents. Just look out for the amount of threads on here regarding bad workmanship on new builds in the next couple of years. Started already from what I have seen on sites. I'd never buy one.

Last edited:
God help the next generation of home owners. I just turned 22 when I bought (got a mortgage) for my first house, but things were different back then. These days you need to have a squeaky clean credit reference, a works contract for a min of 3 years (kind of) and an expendable income 50% of your outgoings + a savings account with the same mortgage provider + an overly expensive insurance policy in-case you default.

All of that just to buy (and lets face it) a rubbish quick build to the lowest contractor/s! Any electrician on here that has worked on new builds know what I mean. I could design and build a house/home for £10k more but it would be 10 times better. The flood gates are starting to open gent. Just look out for the amount of threads on here regarding bad workmanship on new builds in the next couple of years. Started already from what I have seen on sites. I'd never buy one.

My estate was built in 2007. About 30 down lights. No fire rated ones in the kitchen. Single sockets fitted everywhere (who installs single sockets). All the accessories as cheap as possible. Thank god I am renting.

I just turned 22 when I bought (got a mortgage) for my first house, but things were different back then. These days you need to have a squeaky clean credit reference, a works contract for a min of 3 years (kind of) and an expendable income 50% of your outgoings + a savings account with the same mortgage provider + an overly expensive insurance policy in-case you default.

I was 23 when I bought my first show box (studio flat) and god it was hard - the Building Society wanted to know EVERYTHING about my income and outgoings. Without the help from my parents payin most of my deposit it wouldn't have happened..

We remortgaged nearly 2 years ago and that was really difficult, and now the checks are even harder - which I do agree with to an extent, because if you have debts, a car loan and expensive phones etc how will you afford a mortgage.

And this is now with 2.5% mortgages - they will go up, sooner or later!

Perhaps people may be aware of my utter contempt for that past politician Mrs Thatcher

One of the consequences of her policies to enrich the rich was the huge jump overnight in house prices

I bought mine for under 6,000 and it was worth treble that a year or so later (I just caught the prices before the bubble)
My good fortune was paid for on the backs of my fellow men,people have been strangled since with the cost of housing taking so much of their life earnings

The top beneficiaries of huge house costs are the landowners(yes the Tory elite again) selling land at astronomical prices, with planning permission of course courtesy of their buddies who hold power in society

That'll be the early 80s then Des?
I was dossing at my sisters in Twickers early 83, and she had a postcard on the noticeboard, "I don't give a sh!t how much your house is worth".

Soon after I moved into my £20 a week 2 bed council flat in Borough, just off Tower Bridge Road. Happy days! :)

Specs, are there any petrol stations left in Central London? (haven't been for a while)
My London mate reckoned a few years back, that they were all being sold off for the land, at massively inflated prices, WAY more than they'd make running a gas station.
They are being closed at a rapid rate (same as pubs) if you don't know the area you could easily run out of fuel looking for 1. And yes they are building flats on the land.

All of that just to buy (and lets face it) a rubbish quick build to the lowest contractor/s! Any electrician on here that has worked on new builds know what I mean. I could design and build a house/home for £10k more but it would be 10 times better. The flood gates are starting to open gents. Just look out for the amount of threads on here regarding bad workmanship on new builds in the next couple of years. Started already from what I have seen on sites. I'd never buy one.

... which god would that be that are you calling upon? If Almighty God, of the Jew and latterly Christian, which I must assume given this country's nominal recent historical perspective. Then if His laws were to be kept, we would practice the year of Jubilee which would consistently tackle every 49 or 50 years the greed and corruption that is here described at work! Unfortunately there are considerable vested interests, our own included, that deny this as even a possibility, we all have far too much to lose!

If however, it is the god 'mammon' who is to be worshipped ... then he is not out to help but to enslave, rape, pillage and extort from us all. I fear it is the latter that we see in the workings of today's world!

... which god would that be that are you calling upon? If Almighty God, of the Jew and latterly Christian, which I must assume given this country's nominal recent historical perspective. Then if His laws were to be kept, we would practice the year of Jubilee which would consistently tackle every 49 or 50 years the greed and corruption that is here described at work! Unfortunately there are considerable vested interests, our own included, that deny this as even a possibility, we all have far too much to lose!

If however, it is the god 'mammon' who is to be worshipped ... then he is not out to help but to enslave, rape, pillage and extort from us all. I fear it is the latter that we see in the workings of today's world!

Simple answer is = Which ever God you follow.

I am of no fixed abode due to the multiple of true religions which I'm friends with and a part of. Every faith states:- Dont kill, Dont rape, Dont pillage, Dont steal but please help Thy neighbor.

Other forums may be better to suit your question/s. Lets not have it on this one. We are talking about house building and how the new/existing government will for-fill their promises. 200,000 new home, I think that is Bull ----.

Reply to Houses in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net