Discuss Illuminated 240V AC Rocker Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andyh

Hi All,

Looking for some help. A local business has a commercial wine/beer chiller (Tefcold). There is an internal light which is switched via a rocker switch at the bottom of the unit. The switch has broken and needs replaced. However I am struggling to find a replacement. I've taken a photo of the switch with wiring and attached a photo (hopefully!). The owner cut the switch off by the way!!

I've isolated the cut cable for now so the chiller still works but am struggling to understand the mechanism on how this switch works the light. Originally it was an illuminated switch and I think the following link contains details of the exact switch: XCK-017-172. Testing the connections it appears we have two lives (brown and white cables in pic) and a neutral. The connections are labelled left to right in pic, 1 (Blue Neutral), 2 (White Live), 3 (Brown Live). Can anyone advise what type of switch this is and suggest a workable replacement? Can someone also explain how this type of switch works?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4948.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 51
No,, I'd say the neutral is to feed the lamp rather than the neutral being switched. Daz

Edit: I've assumed the switch is an illuminated rocker, I may be wrong.

looks like a basic on/off with a N to operate the light. so you'll have a L, S/L and N. maplins should have them. i have a few but they appear to be wider than the one in your pic. you may need to enlarge the hole in the cabinet with a file.whereabouts are you?

edit: what are the letters/numbers just above each terminal?

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK that sounds possible. However why when I tested the white wire was it indicating a positive voltage?

So have you any suggestions for a suitable replacement?

You'll get one of these on ebay. Do a search for illuminated rocker switch. Daz

looks like a basic on/off with a N to operate the light. so you'll have a L, S/L and N. maplins should have them. i have a few but they appear to be wider than the one in your pic. you may need to enlarge the hole in the cabinet with a file.whereabouts are you?

edit: what are the letters/numbers just above each terminal?

Details as follows:

Gorbo XCK-017
6A 250VAC T35/55
10A 125VAC µ
1 2Res. 3

Yes that's the one. However no UK supplier I can find. As others have mentioned, plenty of similar switches available here in UK. Just want to ensure it's the correct type.

Yes that's the one. However no UK supplier I can find. As others have mentioned, plenty of similar switches available here in UK. Just want to ensure it's the correct type.

If there isn't a compatible switch on ebay I'll eat my (tin) hat. Can't look at the minute but will be able to later. I'll see what I've got in my workshop as well. Daz

determine the permanent L by putting your approved voltage tester across each wire in turn and E. then with the power off, L-N should read the interior lamp resistance. the remaining wire is S/L. power it up wrongly and the fault current will destroy the switch.

Reasonable question, reasonable responses, all happy. Am I on the right forum? Daz

This looks to be an exact match size wise so I'll order this one as it's the closest I can find:

Buy Rocker Switches Illuminated Red SPST Rocker Switch, On-Off, 10 A@ 125 V ac RS R13-66BW-1822231 online from RS for next day delivery.

Thanks for all the help and advice :).

Check the dimensions of the old and new switch.
These rocker switches come in various forms and the size can vary by a few mm.

Switch too big means filing the hole out, switch too small you'll be looking for a tube of No-nails...

Just a small selection I have to hand;

.ATT16139.jpg

Last edited:
Google "panel mounted rocker switches" plenty there "OMRON" I think is the makers name

Reply to Illuminated 240V AC Rocker Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net