Currently reading:
IP66 outlet sockets in garden area

Discuss IP66 outlet sockets in garden area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

manos

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am an industrial Electrical Engineer and I need some help of which is the best method of connecting IP66 outlet sockets in the garden area.
The power will be taken from a Ring socket inside house using an FCU 13A. The FCU can be outside or inside. If outside, it will be IP66.
As you can see from the diagram there are two lines, a red one and a black one of how to connect sockets (as Radial).
The cable to the FCU from existing socket will be twin and earth 2.5mm and from FCU to IP66 connection box the same.
From the connection box the cable/s will be twin and earth 2.5mm armoured cable.
Which one do you think is the best method of connection. Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• Sockets garden.pdf
    70.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I'M not sure if you're allowed to spur 4 sockets off an existing ring circuit, I'm not familiar with the UK regs. What are the sockets for? Why so many in close proximity?

I do know this work would be notifiable by law and would need to be tested and signed if off by a qualified person or you would need to go through building control.

I'M not sure if you're allowed to spur 4 sockets off an existing ring circuit, I'm not familiar with the UK regs. What are the sockets for? Why so many in close proximity?

I do know this work would be notifiable by law and would need to be tested and signed if off by a qualified person or you would need to go through building control.

It's okay to do so when fused down as OP proposes as total available current will be limited by max 13A fuse. Obviously such an idea would be of no use to someone wishing to plug in substantial loads, but it does allow one load to be plugged into multiple points or several small loads at the same time.

It would require testing and certification.

With a Non-fused spur you can only have one twin socket. With a fused spur you can have as many sockets as you require but the total load does not exceed the 13A. At end of the day I might put 3 sockets but it's only for LED lights in the flower beds. I can connect a cordless charger if I am doing a job in the garden. The purpose of this is not for high loads.

Is the existing RFC RCD protected? you will need to install RCD if not and before testing/LA Notification (Part P).
How do you intend to run cable between sockets? If underground then swa cable but if clipped around maybe NYY could do?
If swa, the swa wires need to be continuous and earthed throughout even if not relying on them as a circuit cpc.

Without checking the BBB, a standard radial circuit number of points is limited by area/sqm but not sure that applies in this scenario!
If radial circuit running from a consumer unit with its own MCB of the correct rating you can have as many socket as you like, as long as it’s in an area not exceeding 50 square metres.
The ring socket I am sparing from is an RCD protected from consumer unit. My sockets are protected with an FCU 13A so I can have as many but not exceeded 13A (which I am not, mainly for LED lights). I'm not going to using NYY but swa cable clipped to wall in some areas.
Where the fence is I am going to clip the swa on the fence post (NOT THE WOODEN FENCE) with a 20mm conduit because the distance of fence is 1800mm long.
For a 2.5mm twin and earth swa (OD 13,5) the horizontal clipping distance is 350mm, so I have to have something between posts to support it which I am not worried about that at the moment.
Or I can route it along the fence line next to the gravel boards without conduit, that's another solution.
  • According to the BS7671 (17th Edition Wiring Regulations), SWA cable can be clipped to a permanent structure. However, a fence is generally considered a temporary structure.

Last edited:
If radial circuit running from a consumer unit with its own MCB of the correct rating you can have as many socket as you like, as long as it’s in an area not exceeding 50 square metres.
The ring socket I am sparing from is an RCD protected from consumer unit. My sockets are protected with an FCU 13A so I can have as many but not exceeded 13A (which I am not, mainly for LED lights). I'm not going to using NYY but swa cable clipped to wall in some areas.
Where the fence is I am going to clip the swa on the fence post (NOT THE WOODEN FENCE) with a 20mm conduit because the distance of fence is 1800mm long.
For a 2.5mm twin and earth swa (OD 13,5) the horizontal clipping distance is 350mm, so I have to have something between posts to support it which I am not worried about that at the moment.
Or I can route it along the fence line next to the gravel boards without conduit, that's another solution.
  • According to the BS7671 (17th Edition Wiring Regulations), SWA cable can be clipped to a permanent structure. However, a fence is generally considered a temporary structure.
That’s fine you seem to know the regs and what you are going to do in any case, so unsure for reason of original post?

That’s fine you seem to know the regs and what you are going to do in any case, so unsure for reason of original post?
The reason is that every day we learn something and people doing things different. To get some ideas is not a bad idea of what are you doing. Someone said why don't you turn lights remotely. So I do know about the kinetic switch and reciever,a bit expensive but I am looking to it.

The reason is that every day we learn something and people doing things different. To get some ideas is not a bad idea of what are you doing. Someone said why don't you turn lights remotely. So I do know about the kinetic switch and reciever,a bit expensive but I am looking to it.
I'd agree, we never stop learning. There is always some new tech around!! I've always believed that if you had 6 sparks quote for a job you'd get 6 different answers and they could all be compliant. Same goes for the control of the lights - Switch, Timer, Wireless (Kinetic, RF or WiFi), Phone based App etc etc so many choices! But
ultimately it comes down to cost!

I'd agree, we never stop learning. There is always some new tech around!! I've always believed that if you had 6 sparks quote for a job you'd get 6 different answers and they could all be compliant. Same goes for the control of the lights - Switch, Timer, Wireless (Kinetic, RF or WiFi), Phone based App etc etc so many choices! But
Yes I agree with all of that. Anyway have a nice day and maybe talk in future.

With a Non-fused spur you can only have one twin socket. With a fused spur you can have as many sockets as you require but the total load does not exceed the 13A. At end of the day I might put 3 sockets but it's only for LED lights in the flower beds. I can connect a cordless charger if I am doing a job in the garden. The purpose of this is not for high loads.
The 13A FCU feeding 4 sockets is ok for dedicated low-wattage loads

Feeding 4 sockets for 'general use' from a FCU would be bad design

Tech has totally complicated 'control'

Customer wants something controlling. First job is to figure out the best method

Reply to IP66 outlet sockets in garden area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock