Discuss is this course legit... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jme

-
Reaction score

I'm working as a sparkies mate at the moment and have years of experience on sites, done a couple level two at college and always got stuck at level 3 when unable to find someone to do my on site assessments with...

My boss ain't interested in apprenticeships etc, its too much paperwork when he's busy enough..

asked my boss and colleague, they say it seems legit...it says you can work as a domestic installed, sign work off and register with niceic etc...

what's the story with this course? If its a way of getting into the game then ill be very happy to have a career for life, even as a domestic installer, as its been a struggle to try to get into this game because I'm 30 years old now. Too old for a government funded apprenticeship.

is it the real deal basically? Or will i have to take additional courses after that may involve on site ---- etc (meaning the course is a waste of time)...

thankyou

Depends what your aims are in terms of employment and work.

The course linked to offers you your regs course, basic inspection and testing, a building regs awareness course, and a basic skills course that was created for that training firm only.

What quals do you currently hold ?

it will give you the necessary qualifications to become a house basher. nothing more.

no relevant quals whatsoever...two irrelevant eal level 2s...one in electrical installation, one in electrical engineering so they're as good as nothing.

will it let me carry out my own work in a domestic dwelling and sign it off? Just with that course? What may be my limitations and is further courses needed or on site work etc...

I'm sceptical of it

a house basher? So i can do a full rewire, swap the board, make alterations, kitchens and all due to part p, and sign the work off????

that's fine for me as it would be a door into the game. Am i right in assuming i can still work in commercial but not sign it off with that course? I mean I'm working in commercial at the moment as a mate

no relevant quals whatsoever...two irrelevant eal level 2s...one in electrical installation, one in electrical engineering so they're as good as nothing.

will it let me carry out my own work in a domestic dwelling and sign it off? Just with that course? What may be my limitations and is further courses needed or on site work etc...

I'm sceptical of it
it will allow you to install and sign off, but for notifiable work, you'll need to join niceic or one of the other scams, .... kerrrching.

Tbh that's really good for me to hear, you have to understand when you're someone like me who really really wants to get into it and has struggled for years...its a stepping stone at least and can earn me some more money to further progress in the future

I do find it ridiculous that someone can complete a course in less than a month and touch electrics though. Kinda scary when you see how things can go wrong but i have years of experience on sites and in the class

You might want to contact whichever scheme you intend to join and ask their entry requirements. It's likely you could find the courses you need cheaper separately. For instance, the building regs course is not required as far as I know and all the building regs documents are downloadable for free.
If you want continued employed work past self employment then NVQ3 level is the accepted standard.

following from andy's post, if you have a lot of practical experience, you may be able to join a scheme with just the 18th ed. wiring regs.

Yeahh just getting my head around it, its not the easiest game to get into and its understandable why

I have exp in houses and commercial, one of the few things Ive not done is play with 3 phase boards..youve all been a really big help and time to get saving up then i guess. Thank you all

before splashing out on a course, try the scams, niceic etc., you may be able to join without doing that course. after all, they want your money. that's the base line.

Yeahh just getting my head around it, its not the easiest game to get into and its understandable why

I have exp in houses and commercial, one of the few things Ive not done is play with 3 phase boards..youve all been a really big help and time to get saving up then i guess. Thank you all
If you have a local technical college you may find that courses are not so financially driven and may offer help to locals by way of placements and free advice .

before splashing out on a course, try the scams, niceic etc., you may be able to join without doing that course. after all, they want your money. that's the base line.

sorry? Surely i cant do nothing, sign nothing off just by registering for niceic and having no formal quals? And is it possible to register with them without any quals...surely not? Niceic is the one i will register with

Well domestic installers do it after short courses . Can you be qualified in five weeks - must be.

If you have a local technical college you may find that courses are not so financially driven and may offer help to locals by way of placements and free advice .
I'm 30...i cant be arsed to start at level 2 again...do three years at college and possibly when i finish my level two...get stuck when i cant find an apprenticeship as these are the only kinda courses my college offers. I'm willing to spend that money and travel all the way to Leeds for a career...

£2500 is a lot of cash but when you can earn that back pretty soon, it's a good deal

I'm 30...i cant be arsed to start at level 2 again...do three years at college and possibly when i finish my level two...get stuck when i cant find an apprenticeship as these are the only kinda courses my college offers. I'm willing to spend that money and travel all the way to Leeds for a career...

£2500 is a lot of cash but when you can earn that back pretty soon, it's a good deal

You'll be stuck working for yourself, running a new business with all the expenditure that entails, and all the work it takes to generate new business.
That £2500 won't come back to you easily with a wage to take and bills to pay.
If you decide to jack that in and get employed work, you'll be still stuck on mate level, even with the quals you shelled out £2500 for.

You'll be stuck working for yourself, running a new business with all the expenditure that entails, and all the work it takes to generate new business.
That £2500 won't come back to you easily with a wage to take and bills to pay.
If you decide to jack that in and get employed work, you'll be still stuck on mate level, even with the quals you shelled out £2500 for.
I see, Okiee. The other course is £7500 and that is completely unaffordable at the moment but i think that one is quite comprehensive. I assume i will do my own jobs in evenings, at weekends and such to build up some clients for a while before going out into the big wide world solo and not having other income to rely on.

but you've all been a huge help and i appreciate all your advice. I feel optimistic. It's not easy but its a door that I can open to help myself and my family

In your favour you will probably have done all you would be taught on the courses anyway. How are you at testing, fault finding and design ?

In your favour you will probably have done all you would be taught on the courses anyway. How are you at testing, fault finding and design ?
fault finding..i can trace what's going on, recently had to go through rooms and rooms, PIRs and all sorts to figure out why my lighting circuit was tripping, using wagos to narrow the issue down...faulty drivers for the LED panels..I was annoyed. Especially when being told Id done the joints wrong lol

design is not difficult

but testing, to be truthful, I've barely done any since college as my boss who signs off work does this so this is something to brush up on. Maybe I will ask him to let me do it some more

Reply to is this course legit... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock