Discuss Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi OP. Do you know the regulations that this will have to comply with?
Why the 'Dumb' on @Murdoch post?
Do you have test kit to test the circuit afterwards?

Probably because I gave him a dumb for his recent post which is almost identical to one he had posted on his earlier thread which is now locked.

My crystal ball suggests this will be locked soon .....

OP - are you just an annoying troll ?

You ask for advice and pretty much ignore every sensible suggestion made.

Hopeless

Fingers crossed this will be locked soon and you may get a ban ..... Fingers crossed!

I take it by the lack of criticism to my last proposal that this would be an acceptable way of doing things. Thanks to those who actually PROVIDED any relevant information to help me accomplish what i wanted to.

I take it by the lack of criticism to my last proposal that this would be an acceptable way of doing things.

lmao..... like you care what we think...
Do you not like me... You don't answer any of my posts... :cry::cry:
I haven't provided any relevant information as I feel that you are not competent enough to do the work.

Hi OP. Do you know the regulations that this will have to comply with?
Why the 'Dumb' on @Murdoch post?
Do you have test kit to test the circuit afterwards?

"553-04 Lighting points
553-04-01 At each fixed lighting point one of the following accessories shall be used:
(i) a ceiling rose to BS 67
(ii) a luminaire supporting coupler to BS 6972 or BS 7001
(iii) a batten lampholder to BS 7895, BS EN 60238 or BS EN 61184
(iv) a luminaire designed to be connected directly to the circuit wiring
(v) a suitable socket-outlet
(vi) a connection unit to BS 5733 or BS 1363-4
A lighting installation shall be appropriately controlled, e.g. by a switch or combination of switches to BS 3676 and/or BS 5518, or by a suitable automatic control system, which where necessary shall be suitable for discharge lighting circuits.
553-04-02 A ceiling rose shall not be installed in any circuit operating at a voltage normally exceeding 250 volts.
553-04-03 A ceiling rose shall not be used for the attachment of more than one outgoing flexible cord unless it is specially designed for multiple pendants.
553-04-04 Luminaire supporting couplers are designed specifically for the mechanical support and electrical connection of luminaires and shall not be used for the connection of any other equipment.
"

So who's to say that you don't adopt 553-04-01(v), and install "a suitable socket-outlet" to the lighting circuit, as a lighting point, for supplying lights (or whatever). Reasonable labelling (and / or reasonable location, e.g. at high level) should help overcome the temptation to plug heavy current using equipment into it (thereby avoiding nuisance trips); it would be hard to argue that such a labelled / located socket outlet, even if it is to BS1363, is not a "a suitable socket-outlet". Also,553-04-01(vi) refers to "a connection unit to...BS 1363-4", which is a standard Fused Connection Unit.

What about the last question?

Just to further satisfy all those who didn't agree as they thought i'd go against regs and make it unsafe, going to put a 5A faceplate on the socket and fix a 5A plug top to a short RCD-Protected extension lead after cutting off the 13A plug top.Plug light transformer into the extension.
No fixed wiring contraventions/arguments.
As mentioned earlier by others ,even if it's a four way extension and some muppet plugs a kettle in to it the 5/6A protection will operate and keep both property and persons safe.

Just to further satisfy all those who didn't agree as they thought i'd go against regs and make it unsafe, going to put a 5A faceplate on the socket and fix a 5A plug top to a short RCD-Protected extension lead after cutting off the 13A plug top.Plug light transformer into the extension.
As mentioned earlier by others ,even if it's a four way extension and some muppet plugs a kettle in to it the 5/6A protection will operate and keep both property and persons safe.

As previously mentioned, I want to be able to control it via the Light switch, not Wi-FI.

How is the light switch going to work with you above post? It's that 'fixed wiring'?

"553-04 Lighting points
553-04-01 At each fixed lighting point one of the following accessories shall be used:
(i) a ceiling rose to BS 67
(ii) a luminaire supporting coupler to BS 6972 or BS 7001
(iii) a batten lampholder to BS 7895, BS EN 60238 or BS EN 61184
(iv) a luminaire designed to be connected directly to the circuit wiring
(v) a suitable socket-outlet
(vi) a connection unit to BS 5733 or BS 1363-4
A lighting installation shall be appropriately controlled, e.g. by a switch or combination of switches to BS 3676 and/or BS 5518, or by a suitable automatic control system, which where necessary shall be suitable for discharge lighting circuits.
553-04-02 A ceiling rose shall not be installed in any circuit operating at a voltage normally exceeding 250 volts.
553-04-03 A ceiling rose shall not be used for the attachment of more than one outgoing flexible cord unless it is specially designed for multiple pendants.
553-04-04 Luminaire supporting couplers are designed specifically for the mechanical support and electrical connection of luminaires and shall not be used for the connection of any other equipment.
"

So who's to say that you don't adopt 553-04-01(v), and install "a suitable socket-outlet" to the lighting circuit, as a lighting point, for supplying lights (or whatever). Reasonable labelling (and / or reasonable location, e.g. at high level) should help overcome the temptation to plug heavy current using equipment into it (thereby avoiding nuisance trips); it would be hard to argue that such a labelled / located socket outlet, even if it is to BS1363, is not a "a suitable socket-outlet". Also,553-04-01(vi) refers to "a connection unit to...BS 1363-4", which is a standard Fused Connection Unit.
Those are 16th Edition format Regulation numbers.

Time for this me thinks......
1F5D3964-76CC-4199-AC9A-BC43C0323EBB.jpeg

Design a project that you are unsure about :confused:
Put forward that project for scrutiny by others :cool:
Take note of well informed advice that's offered and ignore :eek:
Fill in knowledge gaps(trawl obsolete papers on the subject) :oops:
Make attempt to justify the proposed design with random guesswork:D

Why would you anyone need electrical training when its all so simple :)

Lets all demonise this muppet for even considering doing his own electrics. If people can't afford to pay a sparkie's often exorbitant rate then what the hell do we expect them to do? Any electrician looking at that old wilex board will run a mile! I certainly wouldn't work on/add to any circuit coming from an unprotected supply like that. So what do we do? Tell him to p!ss off or offer a little advice on how he can achieve what he wants to do? I thought that part of the purpose of a forum like this was to help and advise people....

Reply to Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net