Discuss Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If that's the case then why are 'clueless diyers' allowed to join the forum? Do you think the forum should be restricted to those with electrical qualifications only?

Colin33 Everything I put in the post above was true of this post and his previous post on the same subject that's why he got the replies he did.If he engaged and answered the questions that I asked I could have given a solution the OP could then decided if he felt competent in undertaking the correct work. I don't have a problem with DIY'ers doing basic electrical work as long as they know their limitations.There is a DIY part of the electrical forum.Maybe you should offer some advice to the OP which you have not done so far.I have with respect to you Colin as a forum member revised my rating to disagree for the reasons above of which I hope you would reciprocate.
PS some of us only ask for a fair rate for the work undertaken and are not there to rip customers off we have to charge a rate that covers our costs in undertaking the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
my option although i dont condone him doing it himself would be to add a spur off one of the existing sockets and install a double rcd socket that can feed the plugs that hopefully are still attached, this could be placed in top of a floor level unit so as to be accessible . this spur could be supplied by a fcu at another point to give a switch / isolation point. it also gives him rcd protection for the alteration and then avoids a fuse board upgrade.. However, i suspect he will likely bodge it and then decide to get somebody in after it goes wrong...

Colin33 Everything I put in the post above was true of this post and his previous post on the same subject that's why he got the replies he did.If he engaged and answered the questions that I asked I could have given a solution the OP could then decided if he felt competent in undertaking the correct work. I don't have a problem with DIY'ers doing basic electrical work as long as they know their limitations.There is a DIY part of the electrical forum.Maybe you should offer some advice to the OP which you have not done so far.I have with respect to you Colin as a forum member revised my rating to disagree for the reasons above of which I hope you would reciprocate.
PS some of us only ask for a fair rate for the work undertaken and are not there to rip customers off we have to charge a rate that covers our costs in undertaking the work.
Of course I will reciprocate in this instance, I'm sure you can understand why I'm not happy with being rated 'dumb' for simply expressing an opinion! I would've offered the OP some advice, had the original post not been blocked before I had read it. I read these forums less often than I used to because I'm often almost embarrassed by some of my 'fellow electricians' who relish trying to humiliate diy'ers who are simply after advice which may help them achieve a safer outcome than they would without that advice. Some of the contributors of this thread were clearly not willing to help OP, so perhaps should not get involved because their remarks were not helpful and did nothing to dispel the general feeling that many electricians are over paid arrogant To&&ers!

Hi @Colin33 . The OP was given solutions what would have been safe. He chose not to take then on board. He wanted to use a new switch he had fitted but what he suggested was again going against the regs.
I feel that the OP is not competent enough to carry out the electrical work.
I have helped out many DIY posts. I have asked them questions and they have answered them. When I feel that will do the job to regs and not ignore my advice I then give it.

Lets all demonise this muppet for even considering doing his own electrics. If people can't afford to pay a sparkie's often exorbitant rate then what the hell do we expect them to do? Any electrician looking at that old wilex board will run a mile! I certainly wouldn't work on/add to any circuit coming from an unprotected supply like that. So what do we do? Tell him to p!ss off or offer a little advice on how he can achieve what he wants to do? I thought that part of the purpose of a forum like this was to help and advise people....
Hi Colin 33, I gave my disagree label, solely because it is not my policy to yell amateurs and DIYers like the OP step by step instructions, he obviously hadn't a clue of the dangers of what he was attempting, as for demonising the OP I consider he demonised himself from the word go, on both posts he posted on the same theme, I hope that goes some way to explain my "disagree"

Hi Pete, you're welcome to 'disagree' it'd be a boring place if we all agreed with each other :) It's the 'dumb' option that I take offence to! I'm not even sure why we have such a condescending option amongst purported professionals, or is in place to be used to humiliate the diy'ers? Maybe the Mod can explain this one.

Lets all demonise this muppet for even considering doing his own electrics. If people can't afford to pay a sparkie's often exorbitant rate then what the hell do we expect them to do? Any electrician looking at that old wilex board will run a mile! I certainly wouldn't work on/add to any circuit coming from an unprotected supply like that. So what do we do? Tell him to p!ss off or offer a little advice on how he can achieve what he wants to do? I thought that part of the purpose of a forum like this was to help and advise people....
Hi Colin 33, I gave my disagree label, solely because it is not my policy to yell amateurs and DIYers like the OP step by step instructions, he obviously hadn't a clue of the dangers of what he was attempting, as for demonising the OP I consider he demonised himself from the word go, on both posts he posted on the same theme, I hope that goes some way to explain my "disagree"
Hi Pete, you're welcome to 'disagree' it'd be a boring place if we all agreed with each other :) It's the 'dumb' option that I take offence to! I'm not even sure why we have such a condescending option amongst purported professionals, or is in place to be used to humiliate the diy'ers? Maybe the Mod can explain this one.
Have you asked the poster "why the dumb" check on the profile, you may find he knows SFA

I too would be very uncomfortable with the idea of introducing a live conductor from the ring circuit into a light switch box. (not least because a 30A protected circuit would be running trough a 10A rated switch) But, isn't it the case where often there are two separate lighting circuits in the same switch box? Take a two way landing light for example, where the supply comes from the 'downstairs' lighting circuit and is present in the upstairs switch box. Also present in that upstairs switch box maybe a a supply from the 'upstairs' lighting circuit which is switching extra landing wall lights for example. Is this against the rules, just bad practice, or perfectly acceptable??

Have you asked the poster "why the dumb" check on the profile, you may find he knows SFA
No I haven't, but of course I shall reciprocate at some point, because labeling someone dumb because they simply have a difference of opinion can possibly be described as 'dumb' :)

I would've offered the OP some advice, had the original post not been blocked before I had read it. I read these forums less often than I used to because I'm often almost embarrassed by some of my 'fellow electricians' who relish trying to humiliate diy'ers who are simply after advice which may help them achieve a safer outcome than they would without that advice.

Judging by your profile you hardly ever post, you appear to be a builder doing sparking occassionally and when you do ost you are often asking some fairly basic questions ............ so I wonder what your motivation actually is!

Judging by your profile you hardly ever post, you appear to be a builder doing sparking occassionally and when you do ost you are often asking some fairly basic questions ............ so I wonder what your motivation actually is!
I'm not sure what you mean Murdoch. My motivation for what exactly?? A quick look at your profile reveals that your declared qualifications are 'Part P registered'. Now there was silly me thinking Part P was a building regulation....

You rarely post, yet you criticise others ......................
I rarely post, but I do check in and read through quite often. The reason I rarely post is because I don't wish to get in a spat like this over my opinions of how some members treat others who are just asking for help. As it happens, it's holiday time right now so I find myself slightly less stressed and with a little more time on my hands to get involved :) You've described some of my previous questions as 'fairly basic' unyet I don't recall you being of too much help at the time. Were they were they too basic for you? Tell me more about your Part P qualification...

Matey, I'm not picking a fight over qualifications ........more about the fact you think we should be handing out information to any Tom, Dick or Abdul ............................. which I don't.

On the other hand you are happy to step forward, contribute daily to the DIY thread and give out step by step instructions, instead of earning a living then crack on...

Hi @Colin33 .
It is frowned upon to give out step by step info to questions on this forum, especially when the person comes across as not competent enough to do the work.
I don't see the problem.

Reply to Kitchen Unit Lights to LightSwitch - Help Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net