• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Lounge lighting - solving poor lighting level in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a lounge that is poorly lit. I live in what is called a microloft building (in the UK). The ceiling is only 8 foot high. The room is about 15 x 10 foot. The light coming in through west facing windows and door is v low and can't be changed. My lighting is from 2 ceiling lights that are E27 halogens approx 75W each. They are dish-shaped fitments flush with the ceiling. They have a dimmer switch but there is something wrong with them so that they only work sporadically (I'll get it fixed if need be if it fits in with a solution). I've tried dimmable LEDs but they don't work either. I also have an E27 uplight with a similar halogen.

I want to make the room bright and cheery which means lots of lumens I presume (3000-6000?). I want it to effective and reasonably economical which takes precedence over looking lovely. It could involve the 2 ceiling lights (repaired or replaced). I know there are things like uplights that can take 300W halogens but wouldn't a lot of light get lost on hitting the upper walls and ceilings?

I do like LEDs for various reasons. I have seen things like 150/200w `corn' bulbs but they are for downlighting in shops and warehouses. In a place like mine they might glare too much (yes or no?). I'm not in the lounge all day but when I am it is very gloomy. In the evening I'm happy with lower brightness. It would be nice to have some measure of control via dimming but I won't mind not having dimmers if I can solve the main problem. I could have the 2 lights on 2 switches.

If you can suggest any simple practicable solutions that don't involve fancy fittings I'd be very grateful.

some smart lights, like the phillips hue? you can configure one or many to be controlled from the same smart switch. any colour, any brightness you like.

It does sound a bit odd.

I'd get the intermittent fault fixed as a first priority as poor connections can in certain cirumstances cause fires.

If I've understood you correctly the size of the room should be quite well lit from 150W of halogen lighting.

It does sound a bit odd.

I'd get the intermittent fault fixed as a first priority as poor connections can in certain cirumstances cause fires.

If I've understood you correctly the size of the room should be quite well lit from 150W of halogen lighting.
If it's the ones I'm thinking of then they're very directional with quite a narrow beam, I've seen six of them in a kitchen of a similar size and that was only just enough light to make a bacon butty after a few ales.

And I concur about the fault being sorted first.

I agree with above, if possible.
A 120w corn lamp is equivalent to a 400w metal halide used for low bay fittings.....way too big, physically and output wise. A 200w corn is more than a foot long and 4''diameter....and about £150. You'd need a 25ft ceiling and an old high bay fitting. Pretty bright, though.:cool:

How about changing the E27’s for 100 watt equivalent LED (often around 11watts). They are very bright though so you will need a working dimmer.

Change the dimmer to a decent programmable module - say Varilight.

Alternatively, change the fitting for GU10 spots - say 3 on each fitting - so you can point the light where you need it. This might be a better idea as it sounds like it’s the ceiling height and lack of beam spread that is the issue.

Forget halogens. LED’s are at least 7 times more efficient - but they do need to be compatible with the dimmer.

Wow, lots or replies. Take it from me, the room is dark . Hope u can see photos. No, I can't get access to space above ceiling for recessed lights - it feels like concrete. You'll see from my photos that cabling is done by ducts/tubes everywhere.
Yes floor standing is one solution but I've only seen halogens (300w). That's not very eco is it? But I'll keep it in reserve if other solutions are not possible.
Smart lights/Philips Hue? Are these LEDs?
LED tape looks v interesting. I've seen these at LED Strip Lights - https://www.litewave.co.uk/prod_cat/C_led-strip-lights_29.shtml. Are they literally stuck to a flat surface (what do you do with the wiring - would I need wall-placed ducts. I see tape has things like 12V transformers and I am not a DIY person at all. Is it something I could hand over to an electrician (would I expect a local electrician to be up to date with the huge variety of lighting? Is there a subset of lighting electricians and what are the called!?).
Thanks for all your help. I'm away in a few hours for a week so sorry if you write and I'm not able to thank you more.

I have tried LED dimmers in the overheads - but they didn't work - maybe it's the dimmers that are at the root of the problem as they didn't work well with halogens or incandescents either - so I could try first getting in an electrician to see if I can solve it with dimmer therapy

Lounge lighting - solving poor lighting level lounge-lighting (1) - EletriciansForums.net

Lounge lighting - solving poor lighting level lounge-lighting (2) - EletriciansForums.net

Lounge lighting - solving poor lighting level lounge-lighting (3) - EletriciansForums.net

looking at the pictures, there are a large amount of different led strip lights, think of a fluorescent light but a bit nicer looking.
they can be dimmable if required. should also save a few bob when the next electric bill comes in.

Yes, definitely need dimmers on those...however, for the record, the Quinetic dimming drivers are not fully compatible with these panels, just in case that was a possible way to go.

That does look dark.
You could use the LED strips across the ceiling but I wouldn't have them bare or they wouldn't look nice at all.
id recommend have a couple of lines of the LED strip in a surface mounted profile so they look smooth when looked at.

You can run 2 strips using a high brightness strip (must be 120 led's per metre, whatever strip you choose to get the smooth light when looked at)

You can get them made to length for you with long starter leads and wire both leads into your on/off switch or plug socket.

The options are using a remote dimmer or a mains dimmable power supply to then use a rotary dimmer.
Any electrician could install them as it wouldn't be a tough job.
The only difficulty would be getting the cables from the end of the strips to where you would mount the power supply, but you could use some trunking and have it above the cupboards.

Extrusion like this:
Lounge lighting - solving poor lighting level tube1 - EletriciansForums.net

LED strip 120 LED at least. Like so:
Lounge lighting - solving poor lighting level tube3 - EletriciansForums.net

The surface mount extrusion must be around 15mm deep when using 120 LEDs per metre strip to get the smooth effect.
If you use any shallower extrusion or less LED's per metre than that then you will see the 'dot' effect.

That does look dark.
You could use the LED strips across the ceiling but I wouldn't have them bare or they wouldn't look nice at all.
id recommend have a couple of lines of the LED strip in a surface mounted profile so they look smooth when looked at.

You can run 2 strips using a high brightness strip (must be 120 led's per metre, whatever strip you choose to get the smooth light when looked at)

You can get them made to length for you with long starter leads and wire both leads into your on/off switch or plug socket.

The options are using a remote dimmer or a mains dimmable power supply to then use a rotary dimmer.
Any electrician could install them as it wouldn't be a tough job.
The only difficulty would be getting the cables from the end of the strips to where you would mount the power supply, but you could use some trunking and have it above the cupboards.

Extrusion like this:
View attachment 49832

LED strip 120 LED at least. Like so:
View attachment 49833

The surface mount extrusion must be around 15mm deep when using 120 LEDs per metre strip to get the smooth effect.
If you use any shallower extrusion or less LED's per metre than that then you will see the 'dot' effect.

Thanks for all your replies, which I'm digesting. A lot to think about. I think LEDs are the answer - hopefully the tape. I'll get a couple of electricians.
I've been led to believe that one needs to by ones of a decent specificaition such as the ones at Professional LED Strips, UK Supplier & Manufacturer - https://www.litewave.co.uk/prod_cat/C_professional-led-strip--constant-current_78.shtml
Such ones will last a lot longer than the more standard specification - Litewave say more standard ones will last only 2-3 years. Is this true? Are Litewave one's particular good. Are there other suppliers of quality tape LEDs

Reply to Lounge lighting - solving poor lighting level in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back