Discuss Minimum qualifications for electricians? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning

Ive been asked to help out with recruitment of electricians at work and Im having trouble with some of the CVs we are getting. My understanding was to be a qualified electrician you need

1. An NVQ level 3 (or equivalent)
  2. A Level 3 technical certificate (C&G, ONC, HNC)
  3. 18th Edition

We have had some people come for interviews where it seems like they are not qualified and one currently on the verge of being dismissed because his qualifications didn't add up.

For example I have an interview this week where the CV states his qualifications are
City & Guilds 2360 Parts 1 & 2
City & Guilds 2330 Part 3
City & Guilds 2382-18 (18th Edition)
PASMA
TETRA

For me that is mising an NVQ level 3? am I correct?

Hi the above are/were the old quals 1970 to 1990's era and IMO was a good standard.
Well I'm going to say that because I obtain them. lol

Not sure if this helps(!), but there is a table at the back of this IET bulletin that shows the role and equivalence of old and new qualifications:
https://electrical.------.org/media/1150/electrical-qualifications.pdf
Darn it - I forgot they don't want their links posted
If you Google "1150/electrical-qualifications.pdf" you can find it!

Last edited:
Hi the above are/were the old quals 1970 to 1990's era and IMO was a good standard.

Hmm that doesnt add up as unless the CV is missing work experience (and there is no age on it) Im putting the age of the candidate at 30-35?

If he was someone in his 50s then he would pre date NVQ and be qualified through experience correct?

What's equally as / more important as any quals is the appropriate experience if the field and environment you require the "Electrician" to work.
Do you already employ electricians?

Is it Domestic, Commercial or Industrial installation?
Is it Domestic, Commercial or Industrial maintenance?
Is it product assembly / testing?
Controls?

What's equally as / more important as any quals is the appropriate experience if the field and environment you require the "Electrician" to work.
Do you already employ electricians?

Is it Domestic, Commercial or Industrial installation?
Is it Domestic, Commercial or Industrial maintenance?
Is it product assembly / testing?
Controls?

I work in heavy industry for a major multinational company ,the role is for Shift maintenance electricians.

the interview is gauging experience and our level of competence but from a company perspective I cannot offer if they are not qualified electricians.

The above hasnt been a problem until the last couple of months. The shortage in industrial electricians and the number of openings means agencies are sending us anyone (including a welder who wasnt even an electrician last week!)

C & G 2360 Part 2 was pretty much the industry standard when I started out in the trade if you wanted to classed as 'qualified'
You had to take Part 1 first which would be done in a year if you already had some knowledge and experience in the trade.
Part 2 took me 18 months and was very heavy on the theory side where Part 1 was more about the practical side.

IMO they should bring something like this back as the gold standard for new sparks to obtain, it was very clear cut and once you have Part 2 you could apply for 99% of jobs advertising for sparks

This is what the ECS card scheme is used for

Trainee electricians work towards an ECS gold card and having one means the owner has completed formal industry regulated competency qualifications whether its with old or new qualifications and they have been verified before being issued

So a gold card is normal for employers to advertise for a core qualification and is easy for them to verify
And then you have the additional quals like 18th edition, pasma, ipaf, 2391 (test&inspect) etc.

You can see the different card types and what verified qualifications you need before they are issued here...
ECS Card Types | Electrotechnical Certification Scheme - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/card-types

This is what the ECS card scheme is used for

Trainee electricians work towards an ECS gold card and having one means the owner has completed formal industry regulated competency qualifications whether its with old or new qualifications and they have been verified before being issued

So a gold card is normal for employers to advertise for a core qualification and is easy for them to verify
And then you have the additional quals like 18th edition, pasma, ipaf, 2391 (test&inspect) etc.

You can see the different card types and what verified qualifications you need before they are issued here...
ECS Card Types | Electrotechnical Certification Scheme - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/card-types
I agree, Ive an Electrical Engineer (Controls) ECS card but the vast majority of people dont do (especially in industry when companies take the responsibility)

C & G 2360 Part 2 was pretty much the industry standard when I started out in the trade if you wanted to classed as 'qualified'
You had to take Part 1 first which would be done in a year if you already had some knowledge and experience in the trade.
Part 2 took me 18 months and was very heavy on the theory side where Part 1 was more about the practical side.

IMO they should bring something like this back as the gold standard for new sparks to obtain, it was very clear cut and once you have Part 2 you could apply for 99% of jobs advertising for sparks
I never done the tech course (known as the C course)

All qualifications for an electrician in this country are actually optional. Competence is all that's legally required and experience with no paperwork can prove competence.

NVQ is not needed at all imo, it's a box ticking exercise. Most people actually get someone else to write it up for them nowadays. So you take pictures and send them off, then you get your cert.

18th edition and testing and inspection are the ones i'd look for if employing someone.

I work in heavy industry for a major multinational company ,the role is for Shift maintenance electricians.

the interview is gauging experience and our level of competence but from a company perspective I cannot offer if they are not qualified electricians.

The above hasnt been a problem until the last couple of months. The shortage in industrial electricians and the number of openings means agencies are sending us anyone (including a welder who wasnt even an electrician last week!)
The agencies are all about getting paid for sending you potential candidates as mentioned in another thread the 18th edition and a 2391 and the agencies will find you work and you just copy what everyone else is doing
I never done the tech course (known as the C course)
Not many stuck it out at college for the extra 2 years, it's just over 40 years since I passed it and I did the last college year 3 nights a week 6 - 9pm as my employer wouldn't allow me day release
The C course and exam was discontinued in 2007 as the pass rate had fallen to an unsustainable level

All qualifications for an electrician in this country are actually optional. Competence is all that's legally required and experience with no paperwork can prove competence.
So if you are unfornate enough to end up speaking to people wearing funny wigs who put expert witnesses with armfuls of qualifications against you where do you honestly think you will stand with your argument as your defence
NVQ is not needed at all imo, it's a box ticking exercise. Most people actually get someone else to write it up for them nowadays. So you take pictures and send them off, then you get your cert.
This is about the only thing I can agree with you on
18th edition and testing and inspection are the ones i'd look for if employing someone.
With no core qualifications to back them up IMO they are useless bits of paper, I'm surprised you actually think you need the 18th edition when all you need to do is read the book and the 2391 isn't the exam it was since it became all multiple choice with a 1 in 4 chance of finding the right answer

Really all depends on what role they are taking on. Lamp changer? Domestic, Commercial, or industrial? Street lighting and so on. The current industry standard is NVQ level 3 with portfolio and AM2. They would need 18th edition and Pasma etc. is icing on the cake so to speak. As to experience for domestic a couple of years, whereas for industrial maybe five years. Perhaps a 2391-02 could help, as I say all depends on the role they are applying for. And anyway in theory you could take on a learner who is supervised, much cheaper and train them. So many permutations really.

Reply to Minimum qualifications for electricians? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock