Discuss Motor VSD problem in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

edexlab

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all
Had a problem this week which has puzzled me a bit
Installed a machine last week which has 2 sides to it both doing the same operation

It ran perfectly for 19 hrs and then one side stopped working
I was away from the site and the maintenance guy called me so I got him to open the cabinet and talked him through the drawing

The Mcb for this VSD had tripped, he flicked it back on and there were no power lights on
I got him to check the connections and continuity/ voltage to the VSD terminals which was all good.

It seemed it had died but thinking this might also be a symptom of another problem I asked him to check it mechanically and test cable and motor nothing amiss
A colleague changed the inverter but it stopped with no error code except on HMI

I got asked to go change everything and did so but when I connected up the new motor I saw old one was linked for Delta (0.87 A) and not Star (0.5A) as on the rating plate
Checked motor gearbox and cable on the bench electrically and mechanically seems fine
Connected and has run fine since yesterday

So question is why would Inverter die I thought the max current parameter ( Its preprogrammed I haven't access to parameter list ) would have prevented it running let alone being damaged
[automerge]1580334750[/automerge]
I am requesting a copy of the parameter list as its something we should have, it's a third party machine built for my firm but they are a bit protective over info so not sure they'll hand it over willingly

Is it possible that the maintenance guy or your colleague changed the motor wiring to delta after the drive failed?

Any idea what make and model inverter it is or are you just hoping we will know with our Jedi like electrician powers !

I've never know of a good quality inverter failing just because of an incorrectly connected motor, no matter how badly it been done and I've seen a few proper horrors in my time. They have so much protection and functionality built in I just can't see it.

if the motor is 400v star and 230v delta then if you connect the correct line voltages to it then the currents shown on the rating plate will be true.

however, it looks like you may have had a motor wired for 230v delta operation and connected it to a 400v inverter.

0.5A at 400v is likely to be to much for the windings to take and I expect it overheated and damaged the motor, this in turn may have damaged the inverter.

The original motor is ok I tested it on the bench, no burnt varnish smell then connected it runs well, gearbox fine,
only reason I didn't put it back on the machine was because I'd been told not to

I'd normally think that someone messed up with the max current parameter or some other parameter is wrong as my last company had this problem all parameters entered manually by anyone that knew how

But no sign of motor overheating

Also this company, every drive is preprogrammed by one Engineer

Its possible that this one had the wrong parameter set installed.....
But I doubt I'll ever know if this is the case as it died and can't be powered up unless the manufacturer can do this and reports back

So I'm thinking are there any other possible causes

Haha my only recent experience with Lenze inverters are the motor mounted one. And that is limited to replacing them with ABB panel mounts as they kept failing.

We had some older panel mounted models where I used to work and I can't recall any problems withh them.

Is it possible that the maintenance guy or your colleague changed the motor wiring to delta after the drive failed?
Possibly but He's a switched on guy so I wouldn't have thought so, I've already emailed him to ask ....

Evening all
Had a problem this week which has puzzled me a bit
Installed a machine last week which has 2 sides to it both doing the same operation

It ran perfectly for 19 hrs and then one side stopped working
I was away from the site and the maintenance guy called me so I got him to open the cabinet and talked him through the drawing

The Mcb for this VSD had tripped, he flicked it back on and there were no power lights on
I got him to check the connections and continuity/ voltage to the VSD terminals which was all good.

It seemed it had died but thinking this might also be a symptom of another problem I asked him to check it mechanically and test cable and motor nothing amiss
A colleague changed the inverter but it stopped with no error code except on HMI

I got asked to go change everything and did so but when I connected up the new motor I saw old one was linked for Delta (0.87 A) and not Star (0.5A) as on the rating plate
Checked motor gearbox and cable on the bench electrically and mechanically seems fine
Connected and has run fine since yesterday

So question is why would Inverter die I thought the max current parameter ( Its preprogrammed I haven't access to parameter list ) would have prevented it running let alone being damaged
[automerge]1580334750[/automerge]
I am requesting a copy of the parameter list as its something we should have, it's a third party machine built for my firm but they are a bit protective over info so not sure they'll hand it over willingly
I have problems with VSD before and I found that the cooling fan had failed causing the VSD to shutdown.

Reply to Motor VSD problem in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock