Discuss Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've had a metrel eurotest for about 15 years now without a glitch.
Also got a megger 1720 and kewtech, we had a megger 1730 until one of the lads dropped it, megger wanted £ 250.00 just to look at it , from what I've heard it's their standard reply. It's still sat in the office waiting for me to make a decision.
send it to The Calibration Centre, Stafford. a lot cheaper than Megger. failing which, i'll give you a tenner for it. o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
Also got a megger 1720 and kewtech, we had a megger 1730 until one of the lads dropped it, megger wanted £ 250.00 just to look at it , from what I've heard it's their standard reply. It's still sat in the office waiting for me to make a decision.

There is a company in Kemspton Bedforshire that are really good on repairing test equipment, they repaired my fluke even though parts were no longer sold by fluke etc etc

Can our sponsor not sort you out they're Megger approved. www.test-meter.co.uk @Test-Meter I'm sure if you tell them you're admin they will try sort you out.

I use a Kewtech KT65DL mostly, had it for about 5 years? And a KT63 had a bit longer. Before that had a set of 3 Robin testers for quite a few years, preferred to use those but had to retire them as the loop tester is no good with RCBOs.

Just wondering which multifunctional testers you guys have, and how long have they lasted?

Cheeky plug: Multifunction Testers and Part P Test Equipment - https://www.test-meter.co.uk/multifunction-testers/

Hoping this becomes a handy thread for you all. There seems to be a massive price difference between them all. But then I guess some do things others don't? Not sure. :)

Let us know which multifunctional testers you have, which ones you wish you had, and how long the one you have has lasted so far. :D
Thanks for the plug Dan - if anyone does want any info, we're always happy to help people find the right tester and we do have a fair few MFTs in stock to choose from!;)

Can our sponsor not sort you out they're Megger approved. www.test-meter.co.uk @Test-Meter I'm sure if you tell them you're admin they will try sort you out.

We're always happy to provide a competitive, no obligation quote for repairs.
Just drop us a message on [email protected] or call 0113 248 9966 - ideally with a fault description - and we'll see what we can do!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've a Fluke MFT, but find on earth loop tests it's too sensitive to noise so I use it as a backup. I should really get around to selling it but it's hard to part with tools and equipment and one day it will be required.

My go to is a set of Megger separates. They never seem to miss a beat.

Kewtech KT65 for last 3 years. It’s been reliable and we understand each other. I do have Megger envy building, but the KT just won’t die :) .
Ha! Was in a very similar position until about a year ago, when I finally succumbed and got a Megger 1741. I still have fond memories of my KT63 (particularly when the Megger starts to weigh heavy round my neck!). The only thing I didn't like about the KT63 was it didn't remember the lead null reading after power-off... and if you didn't press a button for 3 minutes, it powered off. So, so irritating when you've got the wander lead out doing an R2 test, and it times out. I got used to impulsively pressing the test button every minute or so, a habit that took me several months to get out of with the Megger (which, of course, on a Megger, pressing the test button on continuity test removes the null reading!). I sold my KT63 on to a forum member. :)

Megger MFT 1730. Purchased in 2014.

I've got an Ethos kit from CEF. Obtained when previous employment company stopped trading. Does the job.
Separate continuity/insulation tester and loop/RCD tester.
Have used it since new in 2008. Goes through AA batteries like me and Greggs sausage rolls.

Will only buy a new kit or MFT when this one dies completely

I suspect you were very good at winding up Tel? ;):cool:
careful mate. we still have slave ships going from Liverpool to Louisiana. free passage. :p :p

we had a megger 1730 until one of the lads dropped it, megger wanted £ 250.00 just to look at it , from what I've heard it's their standard reply. It's still sat in the office waiting for me to make a decision.

Concur; Meggers standard charge is £280inc, or thats what I was charged. I did contact our forum sponsors, when my 1730 went wibble. But apparently if they can't fix it, it has to go back to Megger. I could not be without mine at the time for that extended period, so shipped it back to Megger. Does come back calibrated. Guess if you have other devices, thats not a consideration.

Perhaps Test Meter could comment on that.

you fancy a criuse? here's your ride.

Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? 1571380810655 - EletriciansForums.net

Concur; Meggers standard charge is £280inc, or thats what I was charged. I did contact our forum sponsors, when my 1730 went wibble. But apparently if they can't fix it, it has to go back to Megger. I could not be without mine at the time for that extended period, so shipped it back to Megger. Does come back calibrated. Guess if you have other devices, thats not a consideration.

Perhaps Test Meter could comment on that.

Hi Midwest, I've just asked our repairs manager about this; we can fix most MFT issues in our calibration lab so it's very, very rare we would send them to Megger. (It would be something like needing new costly PCBs for us to do that.) All our repairs do also come back calibrated.

We're always happy to investigate and provide a no obligation quote or advise of other options moving forward.

Reply to Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock