Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Need help in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

richards8610

Hi everyone, my name is Richard, i'm 28 and ive become sick of doing rubbish shop and call centre jobs now. When I left school, I did start an apprenticeship (over 10 years ago now) but left this before it finished due to financial stresses forcing me to have to get full time fully paid work. I'm now sitting wishing I just stuck it out and completed the apprenticeship.
I'm trying to find out what the best way is to become an electrician as a 28 year old, i've looked online and its just full of all kinds of qualifications and numbers, it seems to have become a lot more complicated nowadays to become a qualified sparkie. I want something that I can support my family with in the future, so want to qualify, learn the trade and start up on my own. Your advice will be invaluable to me and much appreciated.

City & Guilds 2357 apprenticeship. This is 1 day a week at college and at least 30hours onsite. This includes NVQ3 and AM2 as well as all the UPK units and exams completed in college. you will need employment in the industry to get on this course. Completion of this course will make you a fully qualified electrician.

City & Guilds 2365 level 2 & 3 (not including the NVQ 3 or AM2). No requirement to be employed to do this course.

Best bet is to talk to you're local college and discuss the best option for yourself mate.

Just DON'T be fooled by these short course providers telling you that you can become a qualified electrician in a number of weeks for X amount of money. There are no shortcuts to becoming qualified.

City & Guilds 2357 apprenticeship. This is 1 day a week at college and at least 30hours onsite. This includes NVQ3 and AM2 as well as all the UPK units and exams completed in college. you will need employment in the industry to get on this course. Completion of this course will make you a fully qualified electrician.

City & Guilds 2365 level 2 & 3 (not including the NVQ 3 or AM2). No requirement to be employed to do this course.

Best bet is to talk to you're local college and discuss the best option for yourself mate.

Just DON'T be fooled by these short course providers telling you that you can become a qualified electrician in a number of weeks for X amount of money. There are no shortcuts to becoming qualified.

Great stuff :) best get looking for an employer who'll have me as an apprentice then, and check out the colleges, is that about right?

And thanks for the advice :)

Great stuff :) best get looking for an employer who'll have me as an apprentice then, and check out the colleges, is that about right?

And thanks for the advice :)

yes mate thats how i did it.

Remember if you cant find employment right away you can still do the level 2 & 3 knowledge units without it.. Then to do the NVQ you would need to find employment.

Good luck with it all :smile:

Reply to Need help in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net