Discuss New member to forum wanting to be qualified in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

*Gaz*

-
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new forum member and it is asking me to post. So here goes..

I am 29 and from Brighton, Sussex.

I started a part time evening course for the city & guilds 2357 course in 2010 and completed nearly 2 years of the 3 at my local college but unfortunately had to quit due to other important commitments that come up... However, I am now looking to get stuck in again and complete the remaining units and AM2 to gain the full NVQ.

Can anybody recommend the best way to find work and get some experience whilst still learning.. Other than what I will do at college?

I am considering contacting some local Electrical contractors to offer to work on a voluntary basis.. Is this a good idea? I am just after some advice really on best routes etc.

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread!

Cheers
Gaz

Welcome Gaz, yes it is in the correct section.

Getting yourself in with a local firm is hard work but it is a very good way of learning the tools. Good luck.

Hi & welcome. :)

Welcome to the forum.

In order to get some work experience you really just have to get your name out there.
Contact local electricians and contractors, contact service companies, facilities maintenance companies.
Also talk to people who work in allied trades and let them know you are looking to help someone out whilst learning the trade, they may pass on your contact details to others.
Obviously also worth looking on job sites for possible short term roles, but make sure you are aware of what you can and cannot do.
If you are looking to work on commercial contract work you would need to have an ECS (or CSCS) card to work on site.

Make sure you have prepared (even if only in your head) a quick summary of your capabilities and qualifications somewhat like your post but emphasise the positive (the "keen to get stuck in" is good) without lying.

Be careful of voluntary work as people may take advantage, and not teach but just get some free labour. Probably best as a sort of "I will do a days work with you to show my skills and commitment and then if you think I am good enough start me on as an occasional labourer with training" sort of approach.

Reply to New member to forum wanting to be qualified in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net