Discuss NICEIC launches bursary to encourage female electricians into the industry in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I thought the problem these days were women NOT being paid the same as men in the same job. Although this is a bursary... not actually wages for a job.
Good too see more girls getting into the trade. We'll just have to watch our language on site, lads.

This is yet another example of 'affirmative action' designed to try and achieve a 50/50 gender split in the work force and quite frankly it's ridiculous.

If they think the only reason women don't get into it is because of money, they are sadly deluded.

Let's be honest about the job... we spend a disproportionate amount of time knee deep in carp of various forms, being exposed to who knows what. Most women don't want to do that. Couple with the sometimes odd working hours that take you away from family and friends and the job gets even less appealing to most women.

Plus, you have to have the right mentality to get on with the other tradies you are inevitably going to meet along the way. Too many women these days hear sexism and bigotry in everyday conversation... you know, the kind of smutty stuff blokes rib each other about for example. The worst of it is, the dirtiest conversations I've ever witnessed were with an all female group of friends attending a wedding together. I think it would have had most of you lot blushing, but you're not allowed to even contemplate similar conversations... it's disgusting quite frankly, the hypocrisy is just beyond it.

I can picture it now, special snowflake is enticed into this job through some scheme to equalize the workforce gender balance and goes to the wholesalers for the first time... big burly bloke gives her an impromptu hug... SEXUAL ASSAULT! And that will be that! This happens, I enjoy a great rapport with the guys I bump into regularly at the wholesalers and some of the conversations are brilliant because they know I'm not a special snowflake that gets easily offended.

Leave people to make their own decisions, don't offer incentives that aren't available to everyone, let the gender distribution balance itself out and stop worrying about something which is entirely inconsequential. People who want to work in a particular field will, regardless... I did and I had (and continue to have) a thoroughly rewarding career.

I thought the problem these days were women NOT being paid the same as men in the same job. Although this is a bursary... not actually wages for a job.
Good too see more girls getting into the trade. We'll just have to watch our language on site, lads.

The gender pay gap is a load of tosh... it's demonstrably false when you get down to the nitty gritty of what jobs people actually do rather than just using things like median and mean within a particular company. The example that springs to mind is pretty recent... shop floor workers vs. warehouse staff... the jobs are entirely different, with one being dominated by performance targets and very unsocial hours (lots of night shifts), but those differences appear to have been brushed aside because they are an inconvenient factor that splits the two jobs and mean it's not a case of equal pay for equal work, just the number of hours worked.

And why is it good to see more women in the trade? Just curious really because your comment about language is really only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to women causing issues in the workplace. Consider this... there is a growing number of men in business who actively refuse to have meetings alone with female members of staff due to the risk of future accusations of harassment... how would that work if you and a girl got sent to say a switch gear room? If I were you I'd take a chaperone to rule out the possibility of future claims. This is a generalisation (which are bad) but as I said in another thread, this kind of issue is at the back of my mind with regards to staffing if I decide to take someone on. The current climate is guilty until proven innocent with regards to sexual harassment (or listen and believe as it's often referred to on-line) and very often the accusations are made publicly through social media... just the mere accusation can destroy people (and has). Encourage the wrong type of people into various male dominated industries and you'll see a rise in this kind of issue which will only make it worse for those of us who didn't need an encouragement and who are more than happy to enjoy the banter that comes with working with mostly men.

It's brilliant and quite frankly, with my selfish head on, I don't want it to change and it will if more women are forced into it.

I bet you didn't run back home though..........

Like hell I did.... I walked round like John Wayne for two days.... Didn't want my danglies looking the colour of a two week old banana...
Some of the guys did say they were going back to work straight afterwards or going to play footy... I think the footy guys must have been joking...
They told me, cause I'm a pen pusher, that I could go back to work straight away..... but I couldn't drive for two days... so that buggered up that. Apparently if you break hard you could split your stitches..

Like hell I did.... I walked round like John Wayne for two days.... Didn't want my danglies looking the colour of a two week old banana...
Some of the guys did say they were going back to work straight afterwards or going to play footy... I think the footy guys must have been joking...
They told me, cause I'm a pen pusher, that I could go back to work straight away..... but I couldn't drive for two days... so that buggered up that. Apparently if you break hard you could split your stitches..
Brake.

SparkyChicks post is brilliant, and just illustrates that the world has, actually gone mad. It's the same for all this biased encouragement that "certain" groups get to enter into jobs and roles. My mates lad got turned down for the police, even after being a cadet, big strapping clever fit lad he is. Guess who got the job? I had better stop..........

if we all had 6 kids we would soon be in big trouble
We are in big trouble already!!! We are breeding below the population replacement figure of 2.1 children per household (man and wife!) So what is the answer get some people in who can breed 20 kids per four wives and one mate, and of course taxpayers help them with a home(s) and income for such an onerous undertaking. These people are saving our population because we are not breeding 20 kids per "unit" and we will all die out. So thank your local imported family for saving you as you don't seem able to breed properly. And to say those numbers (20 per...) are socially unacceptable is bordering on a hate crime so be careful out there.

Trouble is most young people now when you turn your back are on their smart phones updating social media, when I was an apprentice the only entertainment was being taken to the Jack the Rippers pub a pint of lager and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps.

Trouble is most young people now when you turn your back are on their smart phones updating social media, when I was an apprentice the only entertainment was being taken to the Jack the Rippers pub a pint of lager and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps.
i really do dispair. all those years ago and your mentor introduced you to the demon lager, instaed of a real man's drink.

Trouble is most young people now when you turn your back are on their smart phones updating social media, ...

All depends on your attitude.
My bro was in charge of a building site and needed a cleaner for it. He contacted an agency to get one. The original bloke they were going to send, an English lad, was ill but they did have a Polish lad. My bro went for the Polish lad... The lad worked really, really hard.. After couple of days the English lad as well again, so my bro swapped the Polish ad for the English lad. All the English lad did was mope about and spend all his time messing with his phone... So my bro got the Polish lad back.
It seems that some people expect rewards for doing nothing these days..

i really do dispair. all those years ago and your mentor introduced you to the demon lager, instaed of a real man's drink.
I drank neat Vodka since the ago of 14 remember these where English peasant sparks....... ;o))))))

All depends on your attitude.
My bro was in charge of a building site and needed a cleaner for it. He contacted an agency to get one. The original bloke they were going to send, an English lad, was ill but they did have a Polish lad. My bro went for the Polish lad... The lad worked really, really hard.. After couple of days the English lad as well again, so my bro swapped the Polish ad for the English lad. All the English lad did was mope about and spend all his time messing with his phone... So my bro got the Polish lad back.
It seems that some people expect rewards for doing nothing these days..
The Polish lad needs to survive pay rent, they see an opportunity work hard get rewarded move on upwards, the Polish lad is most probably running his own cleaning company now living in a nice house and driving a nice car.

Reply to NICEIC launches bursary to encourage female electricians into the industry in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock