Discuss NICEIC launches bursary to encourage female electricians into the industry in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

can i identify as a trillionare?

im a "CIS" white male, i am oppressed everyday

Me too, so I know exactly what you mean.

(Though my daughter advises that I am merely "over-privileged", which is something to keep in mind when it comes to will-writing time I suppose. :) )

Klingons however are clearly not oppressed.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Me too, so I know exactly what you mean.

(Though my daughter advises that I am merely "over-privileged", which is something to keep in mind when it comes to will-writing time I suppose. :) )

Klingons however are clearly not oppressed.

Quite the opposite in fact.
who would have thought that russia would be a beacon of hope in the 21st century, one of the few countries remaining id consider moving to to avoid the nonsense

Sorry I only come on once a week:rolleyes:should have checked back after my previous inflammatory comment:D
Anyway I am with sparky chick, basically the fact that so few.
Male and female need to equally see trades as something to aspire to. No use saying all incentives should be equal. To make people feel welcome you have to target them specifically and invite them in. And start at an early age.
The right approach isn't just wait for change, even if I didn't see sexist comments on here, it won't change by itself. The right approach needs to go all the way back to stop teaching impressionable 3 year olds that fire fighters and trades people are male, nurses secretaries are female, then everything after that, so people actually have a realistic chance of choosing what they really want to do rather than what they are drilled their whole life. Call it PC if you like, but we are all easily influenced even as adults, otherwise advertising wouldn't a a billions industry.
Hope that makes sense and makes thought for at least one person:)

the only thing id be worried ab out is if the female counterpart could keep up with the pace of pulling in kilometres of swa, it comes down to simple biology, less testosterone = less muscle mass

no doubt there is some women out there who have the ability to even outpace male workers but this is not a common occurrence in manual labour jobs

the army taking women into frontline combat roles is beyond stupid though, a frontline unit can only operate at the pace of their slowest member , constantly having to carry their weight , sometimes even literally.

it used to be the weak were encouraged to leave during their training , now they have changed the rules to allow the weak to take part because of some -------- pc agenda

the same rules should apply for men and women, there should be no "lowering the bar" to let them into roles that they are not competent for, id say trades are dominated by males because it is a manual labour job essentially

ever tried lifting a 500m drum of 2.5 swa onto the roller with a 1st year apprentice with chicken wings for muscles?

Whatever happened to Sarz? Yes MDJ I know about THAT photo

I remember Sarz. I also remember the way she played on being a woman and enjoyed the attention from all the drooling blokes. If anyone else had asked similar questions then they would have been shot down in flames.

I remember Sarz. I also remember the way she played on being a woman and enjoyed the attention from all the drooling blokes. If anyone else had asked similar questions then they would have been shot down in flames.
That did show how much stronger the female gender is and where men truly think from!
Funny thread that and I imagine those that were enticed in regret a little bit doing so.
A classic! (Glad I stayed out of it)

Anyway I am with sparky chick

And I respectfully disagree. You're not with me, because unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, we hold almost diametrically opposed views.

This is Computing Forever (aka Dave Cullen) talking about an article about the negative effect the meritocracy is having on women in engineering.

Watch it (from 6:11) and take in where feminist academics are trying to take us.

We already have equality of opportunity but that's not good enough for them. They want equality of outcome. The fact there are already lots of schemes trying to address gender imbalance in male dominated job roles but hardly any (if any at all) trying to address the imbalance in female dominated job roles should tell you everything you need to know. It's not about equality at all, it's about tipping the balance in favour of women.

Hopefully leaving EU will help with equality as it is a sexist government. it shouldn't matter weather your male or female the help with funding should be available to all. I lost my job through EU law change and was left with no chance of a job but if I was made redundant I would have had funding for training. I originally studied electrical and mechanical engineering so I went back to do a electrician course with a private training company and I am about to finish it in a couple of months so do I class myself as an electrician yet. NO. next object is to work my --- off doing the grunt work and get out there and get hands on tools its not been straight forward and has taken longer than planned but the end of the tunnel is near at my age its probably my last career change and I have put a lot of money and time into this I am now signing up with agency's as I'm looking to go down the commercial electrics route so I do get abit peed off when I see funding aimed at certain sectors or sexes. my family has put up with a lot of hardship over this time so looking forward to a new challenge.

And I respectfully disagree. You're not with me, because unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, we hold almost diametrically opposed views.
Fair enough I'm sorry for misrepresenting your views.
We already have equality of opportunity but that's not good enough for them. They want equality of outcome.
Well, equality of outcome should certainly not be by lowering standards, that's as bad as having the inequality in the first place. But it's not an either/or choice. However it's a slow process and mistakes will be made along the way. I watched the video and it didn't seem to have any evidence, it was a convincing sounding opinion, but not based on any evidence.
hardly any (if any at all) trying to address the imbalance in female dominated job roles should tell you everything you need to know.
That just tells me that women are over represented in the less valued job roles and under represented on the more valued job roles. Less point encouraging groups underrepresented in less valued roles, as they will naturally increase.

Fair enough I'm sorry for misrepresenting your views.

No apology needed, I wasn't cheesed off, I just wanted to point out (and your post kind of confirms my thoughts) that we hold diametrically opposing views in case what I'd already said wasn't clear.

We can agree that there is an inequality but where we disagree is whether this is a problem and what we should do about.

Evidently you believe it is a problem and I do not. Consequently you believe we should do something about it and I do not. Well actually, that's not strictly true, I actually believe we should begin a program of rehabilitating the young men of this country and trying to undo the damage that has been done to them by being subjected to a perpetual stream of feminist dogma for years and years.

These calls for equity in the workforce are being driven by idiot academics, professors of gender or women's studies no doubt, and their disciples on the various college campuses they inhabit. They are a small vocal minority that think they speak for all of us. Clearly the rest of us are too weak to defend ourselves against the rampant sexism that oozes from every pore of every man that walks the earth. That every man is sexist is in itself completely laughable because I can count on the fingers of one hand how many truly sexist men I've encountered in my life.

In case it's not clear, I have a vehement dislike of anyone that calls themselves a feminist today because what they deem to be feminism is an affront to the second wave feminists who secured equality of opportunity and equal pay for equal work. They are an insult to the women who have worked hard and succeeded (and there are plenty of us) in male dominated industries. They don't speak for me and I certainly didn't need their equality of outcome to achieve what I have in my professional career.

Well, equality of outcome should certainly not be by lowering standards, that's as bad as having the inequality in the first place. But it's not an either/or choice. However it's a slow process and mistakes will be made along the way.

So how can you achieve equality of outcome without discounting merit as the key factor in hiring decisions? Either someone is good enough or they aren't.

What isn't an either/or choice?

It's a slow process because it's fighting thousands of years of evolution. Men and women have evolved to compliment each other, we're fundamentally different and our brains are wired differently. These are inescapable facts that can readily explain the gender inequity we find in almost every job and yet people continue to insist that we should have gender equity in every aspect of society.

I watched the video and it didn't seem to have any evidence, it was a convincing sounding opinion, but not based on any evidence.

There was clear evidence that academics are suggesting that meritocracy is putting women off careers in engineering and that the classroom should be changed to accommodate women. This is how much of the social justice warrior agenda starts... some whacked out academic study that suggests someone is being oppressed because of some attribute.

But then, you probably shouldn't listen to me as according to the abstract of the article (if my interpretation of their academic jargon is correct), I'm part of the problem because I don't see sexism any more, I just see a meritocracy in which my sisters apparently can't compete ;)

That just tells me that women are over represented in the less valued job roles and under represented on the more valued job roles. Less point encouraging groups underrepresented in less valued roles, as they will naturally increase.

The issue of value... how do you define 'value' in this context?

I guess what I'm really interested in knowing is WHY?

Why do you think an imbalance in genders in different job roles is a problem? Why do you think the imbalance exists in the first place?

there are women who have successfully broken into careers that have traditionally been male dominated . example - maybe Carol Vorderman, and yourself, of course. there is another female electrician in Bristol, I think, Kate, a forum member who's not been on for a while.going back years, newscasters were male. females have successfully entered this area for years. they have achieved their positions on merit alone, not through some feminist agenda. on a level playing field, jobs should go to whoever can do the job best, irrespective of sex( i refuse to use the word "gender" as that is another politically correct inept term designed to destroy society through the infiltration of demeaning our social construction. I , myself , am not sexist,or chauvenistic, but who let you out of the kitchen? ( joke, of course . :D:D:D:D.)

I don't want to be a troll so I won't go too far since I'm not on here often, but gender equality is certainly a bit like health and safety.

When you mention it, everyone only thinks of the "health and safety gone mad" which is of course just ridiculous bureaucracy, doesn't save anyone anything and is just a waste of time and effort. Worse than that, it actually devalues any progress made in areas that actually matter.
Then there's stuff that's actually sensible that are common sense as long as someone's looking at the bigger picture. And that's the stuff people should focus on.
But it disappoints me that we get stuck debating things that don't actually matter and lose sight of the bigger picture.
I don't doubt that there are differences between men and women, in the same way I don't doubt that some industries are fundamentally more dangerous than others. Opinions on what the differences are vary, and I know you're supposed to start thinking about careers early, but my opinion is that 5 year olds shouldn't be stunned to meet a female surgeon or pilot. - Children are stunned to meet female firefighters, surgeons and RAF pilots | Daily Mail Online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3606869/Children-stunned-meet-female-firefighters-surgeons-RAF-pilots-drawing-MEN-doing-jobs.html

Having said that the problems have a worse impact in tech, the tech industry is full of startups solving the problems well off young people have (get your washing done and delivered back to your door, deliver food, etc) but the problems the older generation have are ignored because of the money thing. The amount tech could do for people with sight issues, hearing loss, dementia, etc is very high. Good luck getting people with dementia into engineering jobs.

I intended this post to be simple, but I apologise for another troll post:oops:

Reply to NICEIC launches bursary to encourage female electricians into the industry in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net