Discuss NICEIC launches bursary to encourage female electricians into the industry in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

my thoughts entirely. some ( male or female) are good at IT, figures, etc., and rubbish at practical, hands on the tools work. and vice versa. academic vs practical. where some are good at both. some are useless at both. sex of the person does not come into the equation except that generally, men are better with the heavier physical tasks. this is a fact of how we are made.
Yep.
Simple fact is, most lasses wouldn't fancy threading conduit...and midwifery just don't appeal to me, even if it does to some.

sorry realised I ignored most of your very good questions, here seem to be the fundamental ones which I find hardest to answer:

because firstly I think equality of opportunity is important. So everyone should be free to consider any job, even if they are the sort of person who doesn't stray far from society's expectations. Clearly you're not one who's been unduly influenced by these kinds of expectations, but many are if you see my previous post article about 6 year olds.
secondly I feel that having a more diverse selection of people offering services is good for the public. I have seen adverts locally for "lady decorator" and seen customer surveys saying people wish they could employ a female builder. So there's definitely demand, assuming that's a good thing? Basically if the people doing the work are representative of the customers, the workers are more likely to provide innovations that the customers need. That doesn't help the people with sight problems or dementia as much, but I do recognise this second point isn't a given for all underrepresented groups!

Extremely good question. I have no idea. In tech they make a deal about the fact that the first computer programmer was female, and programming used to be a job for ladies, but the same question applies there.

The answer to why we have the current gender imbalance is extremely simple. From the dawn of time up until fairly recently (we can argue about the date, but in terms of human evolution it really is very recently) there was no option. To be as brief as possible: men *HAD* to defend the tribe and woman *HAD* to raise the children. There really was no other way whatsoever of proceeding and have everybody survive. We are only now (having been enabled to do so by the wealth that technological progress has provided) starting to come to grips with the new freedoms that everybody is afforded to pursue their own individual thoughts, dreams, and aspirations.

Just bumping this topic to see if it caught any traction in the industry. It's been a while since the OP posted it. And I wonder if anybody has noticed any change at all with this?

Blatant sexism, trainees should be treated the same regardless of gender.

You hit the nail on the head,
Unfortunately the wrong way round.
Its because women in our industry are not treated the same.
Ive seen many women treated poorly and have had to leave due to sexism and a constant barrage of sexist "banta"
If the work place and shop floor showed more respect, then such bursaries would not be required.
There is a growing need for female trades people, particularly where vulnerable customers are requesting them.

There is a growing need for female trades people, particularly where vulnerable customers are requesting them.

That too is sexism, suggesting that female electricians are needed to serve 'vulnerable customers'. That is not treating male and female as equal, that is giving preferential treatment to one gender over another.

That too is sexism, suggesting that female electricians are needed to serve 'vulnerable customers'. That is not treating male and female as equal, that is giving preferential treatment to one gender over another.
just become Gender Neutral, saves a lot of unnecessary Banter

Reply to NICEIC launches bursary to encourage female electricians into the industry in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net