Discuss No power through ceiling rose in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Found it - short circuit!

7 frickin days I've lost to this, with the two main rooms upstairs in darkness, not great for home workers, the amount of meetings I've held looking like something on Halloween...

I made mention of my Asrock pc build back in 2005 - it was terminals:

My Asrock motherboard had a bit too much solder on the back of the circuit board.
It worked outside the case, but the moment I installed it, nothing. No power, no resistance, nothing. No CMOS, no BIOS.
Take the motherboard out, and the pc would fire-up.
Took me two days to resolve, and was only as I was about to send back did I discover it: the screw in the middle of the motherboard was pushing the board down just too much, it was contacting the case and shorting.

Double-checked the terminals of the lampholder and sure enough pushing the netural away a bit, the lamp fired up.

Netural was too close to live and was shorting, though not killing the rcd - gotta look into that.

Can you show this apparent short.
How do I show the short?

As explained, pushing the neutral terminal further away from the bulb allowed the bulb to fire - obviously I had to make the mod with the bulb out and keep testing until I'd found the sweet spot - too far away annd the neutral wouldn't connect too close, and whilst the bulb would contact, it wouldn't power on.

I can't picture where this short was.

Presumably the fuse blew or MCB tripped?

I think there is a little confusion between what is a short and what's an open.
I think the OP should put a multi meter on his Christmas wish list

The light came on only after I moved the neutral terminal away from the side of the bulb. It has just occurred to me that I didn't explain the lamp fixing type - these are screw bulbs.

So as the neutral would've been in contact with the side of the bulb regardless, I can only assume that neutral was contacting live, although the rcd wasn't tripping out so still trying to work that one out

The light came on only after I moved the neutral terminal away from the side of the bulb. It has just occurred to me that I didn't explain the lamp fixing type - these are screw bulbs.

So as the neutral would've been in contact with the side of the bulb regardless, I can only assume that neutral was contacting live, although the rcd wasn't tripping out so still trying to work that one out
If the neutral was contacting Live it would be the mcb that went.

Again, what makes you think I haven't already tested these. Can I suggest a trip to Specsavers
You obviously didn't do any resistance testing because if you did, you would have known if there was a short before putting mains voltage on it.

So for the sake of this conversation.
Two of my rooms had a three-spot spotlight fitted - not a great look for a bedroom so having put up with them for 10 years, we decided at the first opportunity to remove them, but suffice to say, we have known for many years that the ceiling roses and the attic juntion boxes have worked fine.

Knowing that there is nothing wrong with the circuitry before I began the work, it was more than a little jarring when switching from spotlights to pendants, the lights just would not work.

I didn't feel it necessary to test with a multimeter as the pendants would not work, but the re-instated spotlights did. Tell me, if you had a light in your hand (that you no longer wanted) that was working, and just a basic ceiling pendant, that wasn't, which would you suspect?
The clearly working ceiling rose, junction boxes and light switches were almost certainly not the problem, especially as with the pendant fitted and the switch off, my circuit tester is reading no charge, but with the light switch on, and bulb in, the circuit test is registering even though the bulb was not illuminating.
Although I didn't explain all of the tests that I had tried to this point, I did explain on line 2 of my opening post: "We can handle the wiring shortly, but after a day or two of testing - wiring the spot back on, test (it works), replacing with the ceiling rose (it doesn't work)"
Which I thought to be enough to explain to you all that I doubted the lighting circuit as this was working when I refitted the spotlights.

As for your comments @mainline, about working with mains electricity, by the time I had opened this thread, I had determined the problem to be releated to the pendant, specifically the lampholder; so shifting my troubleshooting there, I wired the spotlights to a plug and tested on a wall outlet - success, the lights lit.
Replacing the spotlights with the pendant, and again, just the same as at the ceiling, the bulb would not light even though my circuit tester was indicating voltage - so it is a problem with the lampholder but what?

Firstly, I had moved the terminals closer to the bulb, this is a screw fitment so live is at the bottom and neutral to the side, but this made no difference. So I moved the neutral further away from the bulb, re-testing, the bulb lit!
These seem different from normal E27's as they have two terminals, one for live, one for neutral, instead of the usual arrangement of live terminal, and neutral base:
1671298383932.png

So there's answer, the neutral terminal was - was what exactly? Too close? How close to a screw-fitment is too close? It still has to contact the bulb in order to complete the circuit, and for me, it was only once I moved the neutral terminal further away from the bulb did the bulb light.
Unless, as the two terminals inside the lampholder are fitted very closely, they were somehow shorting, I'll levae you all to work this one out. Suffice to say, they are working now and both fitted back to the ceiling.

One other point though, looking for the above image just so you could see the terminal layout, the only one I could find was that customer image on B&Q's website, in the reviews section (https://www.diy.com/departments/bg-white-e27-light-pendant-set/5050765170932_BQ.prd); furthermore, many other customers are complaining that the pendants don't work, presumably like me and this other customer, it was because of a terminal problem.

Please though, do not assume non-electrical knowledge just because I didn't explain everything I had done, instead missing the parts that didn't seem relevant. I too am a forum lead and forum ambassador for a different forum, we are continuosly requesting users to get the balance right - too little information, and were stuck with a mass of questions of "have you done this, have you done that"; but too much, and whilst it is very useful, it if often too much of an overload to try to identify the cause.

SMartin

Last edited:
How do I show the short?

As explained, pushing the neutral terminal further away from the bulb allowed the bulb to fire - obviously I had to make the mod with the bulb out and keep testing until I'd found the sweet spot - too far away annd the neutral wouldn't connect too close, and whilst the bulb would contact, it wouldn't power on.

That's not a short circuit, that's a loose connection.

If it was a short circuit it would have made a loud bang and left an obvious burn mark.

It sounds like you have a faulty lampholder so you should return it for replacement under warranty.

, I can only assume that neutral was contacting live, although the rcd wasn't tripping out so still trying to work that one out

An RCD will not trip on a live to neutral fault, that is not what it is designed to do.
An RCD will only trip on faults which cause current to flow to earth.

And MCB or fuse will operate on faults between live and neutral.

That's not a short circuit, that's a loose connection.

If it was a short circuit it would have made a loud bang and left an obvious burn mark.

It sounds like you have a faulty lampholder so you should return it for replacement under warranty.
The part that confuses me. I am just as confused for the lack of short-circuit noise and the clear indicator on the lamp-holder of a burn, but I'm also confused on the loose connection: how could it be loose when the terminal was pressed hard against the bulb. And, all cabling was tight.
Only once I had loosened the connection by pulling the neutral terminal away from the bulb did the bulb light.

They're only £3.84 from B&Q, if anyone wants a fun 10 minutes.

Looks like my current message is awaiting mod approval (probably on account of my including the link to B&Q):

So for the sake of this conversation.
Two of my rooms had a three-spot spotlight fitted - not a great look for a bedroom so having put up with them for 10 years, we decided at the first opportunity to remove them, but suffice to say, we have known for many years that the ceiling roses and the attic juntion boxes have worked fine.

Knowing that there is nothing wrong with the circuitry before I began the work, it was more than a little jarring when switching from spotlights to pendants, the lights just would not work.

I didn't feel it necessary to test with a multimeter as the pendants would not work, but the re-instated spotlights did. Tell me, if you had a light in your hand (that you no longer wanted) that was working, and just a basic ceiling pendant, that wasn't, which would you suspect?
The clearly working ceiling rose, junction boxes and light switches were almost certainly not the problem, especially as with the pendant fitted and the switch off, my circuit tester is reading no charge, but with the light switch on, and bulb in, the circuit test is registering even though the bulb was not illuminating.
Although I didn't explain all of the tests that I had tried to this point, I did explain on line 2 of my opening post: "We can handle the wiring shortly, but after a day or two of testing - wiring the spot back on, test (it works), replacing with the ceiling rose (it doesn't work)"
Which I thought to be enough to explain to you all that I doubted the lighting circuit as this was working when I refitted the spotlights.

As for your comments @mainline, about working with mains electricity, by the time I had opened this thread, I had determined the problem to be releated to the pendant, specifically the lampholder; so shifting my troubleshooting there, I wired the spotlights to a plug and tested on a wall outlet - success, the lights lit.
Replacing the spotlights with the pendant, and again, just the same as at the ceiling, the bulb would not light even though my circuit tester was indicating voltage - so it is a problem with the lampholder but what?

Firstly, I had moved the terminals closer to the bulb, this is a screw fitment so live is at the bottom and neutral to the side, but this made no difference. So I moved the neutral further away from the bulb, re-testing, the bulb lit!
These seem different from normal E27's as they have two terminals, one for live, one for neutral, instead of the usual arrangement of live terminal, and neutral base:
No power through ceiling rose 1671298383932 - EletriciansForums.net

So there's answer, the neutral terminal was - was what exactly? Too close? How close to a screw-fitment is too close? It still has to contact the bulb in order to complete the circuit, and for me, it was only once I moved the neutral terminal further away from the bulb did the bulb light.
Unless, as the two terminals inside the lampholder are fitted very closely, they were somehow shorting, I'll levae you all to work this one out. Suffice to say, they are working now and both fitted back to the ceiling.

One other point though, looking for the above image just so you could see the terminal layout, the only one I could find was that customer image on B&Q's website [BG White E27 Light pendant set], in the reviews section; furthermore, many other customers are complaining that the pendants don't work, presumably like me and this other customer, it was because of a terminal problem.

Please though, do not assume non-electrical knowledge just because I didn't explain everything I had done, instead missing the parts that didn't seem relevant. I too am a forum lead and forum ambassador for a different forum, we are continuosly requesting users to get the balance right - too little information, and were stuck with a mass of questions of "have you done this, have you done that"; but too much, and whilst it is very useful, it if often too much of an overload to try to identify the cause.

SMartin

Reply to No power through ceiling rose in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net