Discuss Not keen on this in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuaneMHunt1976

Im not keen on Forums as Im Dyslexic and what i type isnt what i seem to be wanting to say.
Very hard to proof read things as my mind automatic corrects it without thinking about it.

Im 38 (39 in Mid Sept) Dyslexic (2005, but been spelling things backwards for a long time)

School didnt do that well at, excelled in Maths, Max i could get was a C and i did my Exam in about 30min and sat there for the other 1hr and half checking things as i was worried i did it so quick.

Went to the locale College, applied for Nation Diploma in Micro Electronics (sounded like i would be making IC, but turned out it was 8bit computers) didnt have the qualifications for that and (was going on a Business Course) got a phone call to come in as the course will be starting soon and ended up on BTEC First Diploma in Engineering, Merit on that course and my tutor suggest a C&G NVQ i think it was in Electronics and Computers (He wrote some of it)

Ended up going on a BTEC National Diploma in Electronics and Computers. Pass/Merit on that course. I did have to go back to my old college to ask about Transistors, and they let me sit in some of the classes to help me out.

I didnt fancy another 2yr doing my HND, so i did a course in touch typing and went to work in a Warehouse. Didnt get a full time job so went to Trent Uni to do my HND in Electronics and Computers, couldnt JUMP in it so left in the first year.

Drawing the Nation Grid on CAD before going back to the warehouse, and then another warehouse, doing extra work for free to keep my job, but i learnt how to Drive a Folk Life Truck and got a record for the firstest picker (before the order was cancelled and put it all back)

Laptop Repire and Personal Video Recorders, (i dont have the speed, i want to know why it was broken not just repair it) So ended up Testing TVs. Job wasnt going any were so i did a Part time course.

City and Guilds Electrical Installations 2330-07 Level 2

2nd year a New Manager and half way in doing it, she ditched me "you were going to leave any way"

Passed the 2nd year and also Passed my 17th Edition

Back to Folk Life Truck Driving around warehouses working for Job Agencies

did my 2394 (With Logic Cerf) i didnt want do the 2394/5 together was i can cope with failed one course but not two at a time.

and then did my 2395 (with EAL)

Bit more Folk Life Truck Driving, i did enjoy the Night shift but work slowed down and the jobs were getting a bit too bad along with some of the other drivers.

So trying to got self employed.

Need to take Each Place and Exam one step at a time,
I dont want to may MILLIONS or a LOT, i just want to make enought to live than job Agencies were you are hanging on from one wage to another.

HOPE, that with GOOD WORK and HONEST and REASONABLE costing that i can get a good name and have some thing to give my Sisters boy, and even a trade for him.
Why i didnt want a Company with my name in it.

Hi Duane and welcome aboard, Thank you for highlighting your Dyslexia It isn't a problem here and I am sure the Members will take it into account when reading your posts.
Please don't let it put you off from starting threads or joining in with ongoing threads, it is a friendly place we run here.

Likewise Duane, don't be put off, now we understand answers will be more sympathetic, oh and good luck, keep on posting.

For a starter, what a great post and what a lot of academic achievement you have done in your life. Well done.

This stems from a thread you asked a question upon, and then got a bit of a grilling due to the wording. All of the members that posted on that thread apologized once it was known that you suffer from Dyslexia.

I also have a very very very mild form of Dyslexia that was not picked up upon whilst in school. It was not until a lovely young beautiful woman I bumped into at the age of 21 things changed for the better, we dated, we moved in together and then she noticed my ability to spell and write. (It was appalling to say the least). We sat down 3 or 4 nights a week for 2 years, turned the TV off and played Scrabble or read the odd book together without any condescending remarks, rolling of the eyes or nastiness. Wow! how things changed from that point on wards, I just had to marry her :wink:

This thread has inspired me to get a proper Dyslexia test to see what my level actually is? Still have it, just live with it on a daily basis especially when typing on a forum with thousands of people reading what you type. This forum has really helped with reading and spelling although I have used spell check 7 times just typing this post lol. I still have to think about the question on the certs:- Bonding conductor material = ..... is it copper or cooper???? Just one of the words I have a mental block on, not the end of the world if it is spelled wrong lol.

Just for old times sake, I'm going to get a bottle of wine, light up the candles and get the scrabble board out tonight on the rug in front of the fire. Well you know the saying "Who ever wins is on top"? :wink:

Last edited:
always remember that branson is dyslexic. didn't hold him back, did it?

always remember that branson is dyslexic. didn't hold him back, did it?

Wonder if we did a goolge search how many successful people are there in the world with Dyslexia? Bet the results would be surprising.

Forum members will be supportive of any ones posts that may have Dyslexia, we are all a very good bunch of people and that shows by these posts that are getting put up.

was a bit confusing a few years ago, when branson wanted to fry a walloon.

haha, whatever. balloons and space flight. branson got hisself into a right pickle.

There is a lot of different types of dyslexics ..E=MC^2 guy
Mine says I have the reading and writing of a 9 year old

Also the support some of us have or haven't gotten

imagegif

Reasons for doing this, i never wanted to do this .. i wanted to be a LUMBERJACK

Ok OK.. as a Kidd i wanted to be a Electrician or a Maths Teacher, NO HOPE with the Maths teach with my English and KIDDS AHH..
Any way I was a Wizard with Computers, programming flowed out of me, like English out of normal people. I also did electronics to better understand the Computers. Sadly no JOB.
So stuck in a warehouse, agency temp.. did Months worth of FREE work for one company so i could keep my job and learn the FLT. Last Straw was a Interview were they just left me, i did a interview a hour late because they had forgotten i was there and they only noticed me because they went for a cuppa.

So i did a Electricians course, pasted them all, and would love to add others just for Fun...
Tho i can pass these course, i am always scared of them, as its ÂŁ500 Vs Me knowing the subject.. Me cage fighting for the bit of paper for ÂŁ500+

What i hope... to go self employed and have a trade, a company for my sisters boy (because there is no hope i would have kidds and i wouldnt want to pass on the defects i have) a trade for him too. So no stupid manager who dosnt know what they are doing, free dome ..

Personally i would sooner play around with Electronic Music Instruments, Electric Guitars and Theremines etc..
but life is commanded on Money and i have to work on this to be able to do all the things i want

am trying to design a 3Bit Switch with pot built in to it.. just need to get a UV Box next ..
I think i could build a Strat that dose more and is more flexable
Any pickups, Coil Flipping, Multi-bleed Circuit, Bass Control and Treble Control with Multi Treble Control too
all done with a 3D Printer and Etching Circuits.

Reply to Not keen on this in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net