Discuss Oh Hager, you little beauty... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
First time using Hager ADA reduced height RCBOs (as opposed to their tall ADN range).

See how beautifully they match up with their MTN circuit breakers (circuit far right next to main switch, for SWA feed to shed). :D

_20180727_135259.JPG

Compare to BG, my "go to" budget (and garage DB) brand... can't even get their MCBs to match... o_O

_20180727_135532.JPG

I do wish Hager would make boards with round knock-outs, though.

Used a few of the reduced height RCBOs at home last week. Very nice to use and liked the lack of FE lead.
I use Hager for garage boards too. Far better than the BG lump and not expensive at all.
The design 30 range comes with a plain case option for every board so you can drill your own entries. I am used to the rectangular knockouts and trunking approach now though.

They have sized and spaced the knockouts so that standard sizes of trunking butt up to them.
I should hope they have, but that still doesn't help if you want to use conduit, or for that matter SWA.
OK you could fit a bit of steel trunking above it, bond that and gland off it, bit it's a bit of a faff and it's going to look a bit, um, 'unpolished'.

I should hope they have, but that still doesn't help if you want to use conduit, or for that matter SWA.
OK you could fit a bit of steel trunking above it, bond that and gland off it, bit it's a bit of a faff and it's going to look a bit, um, 'unpolished'.

There's loads of room where the knockouts aren't to accommodate SWA and conduit. But as said earlier in the thread, you can get plain case options and now round knockout options.

nobody heard of these beasties then????

885363002553lg.jpg
On some brands you may have to bend the casing in the process of beating out the knockout, but in others you'd struggle to drill a hole in the middle of a knockout without it falling out, not that you'd trust the earth continuity to your earthed sheathing anyway.

There's loads of room where the knockouts aren't to accommodate SWA and conduit. But as said earlier in the thread, you can get plain case options and now round knockout options.
Thought the best option was a 4x4 box terminate to that then run the cables to the CSU. Or am I 30 years out of date lol.

First time using Hager ADA reduced height RCBOs (as opposed to their tall ADN range).

See how beautifully they match up with their MTN circuit breakers (circuit far right next to main switch, for SWA feed to shed). :D

View attachment 43463

Compare to BG, my "go to" budget (and garage DB) brand... can't even get their MCBs to match... o_O

View attachment 43465

Can I ask, what did you pay for board & per rcbo; supplier?
TIA

Can I ask, what did you pay for board & per rcbo; supplier?
TIA

Not sure I'm allowed to say as they are not a forum sponsor (which I do support when I can), let's just say they are an online discount electrical supplier. Came in at ~£220.

Since when has ‘looking pro’ been an important design consideration in the protectection of an installation?

It's not at all.

Given OP posted specifically about how beautiful the new ADA reduced height RCBOs looked, I felt that my personal opinion on the Hagers looks in general were valid in response.

I completely agree that looks mean little for the safety of an installation though, unless you're talking damaged cables or mounting issues that can be identified by visual checks alone.

View attachment 43463

View attachment 43465

Try the new Wylex reduced height rcbo’s we have fitted tons of them and there amazing i won’t be fitting anything else the quality is superb.i would not touch bg there stuff is shocking

I thought Starrett, where the go to hole cutters.
They're what most of the wholesalers sell, and TBH when you want a holesaw you go into the wholesalers and ask for a specific size and not a specific make.
Bosch holesaws are pretty good.

Since when has ‘looking pro’ been an important design consideration in the protectection of an installation?
I'm not convinced that that's even a word.
Either way the choice of brand for accessories, fixtures and fittings is often dictated by the installer based on ease of installation and not safety.

View attachment 43463

View attachment 43465

I’m completely the opposite, love the square/rectangular knockouts to match the trunking and dislike the round ones

I also like the trunking knockouts for domestic, but not so much on commercials/industrial.

These are my favourite hole saws.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/armeg-acceler-sheet-steel-holesaw-set-3-pieces/3461r

Interesting, I've just ordered Hager Design 50 consumer units for home here and the reduced height RCBOs, surge protection, doorbell transformer and a few other bits. Not seen the Design 50 in the flesh before. I'm still not really a fan of their 3 phase stuff, the enclosures are flimsy rubbish, prefer Eaton for 3 phase, now that Merlin stuff has turned to sh**.

Interesting, I've just ordered Hager Design 50 consumer units for home here and the reduced height RCBOs, surge protection, doorbell transformer and a few other bits. Not seen the Design 50 in the flesh before. I'm still not really a fan of their 3 phase stuff, the enclosures are flimsy rubbish, prefer Eaton for 3 phase, now that Merlin stuff has turned to sh**.

Most bods get a 65'' tv, or even a washer dryer that has wifi connect ability. Whatever. :)

Just used the Hager reduced height RCBOs and thought they were well designed and easy to use.
They did not fit the very old hager board I wanted them to fit though:(!
That's unusual, the range is usually backwards compatible right to old Ashley Rock branded stuff.

Reply to Oh Hager, you little beauty... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net