Discuss RCD trip after board upgrade. Frustration who on my side? Who's on landlords? A rant! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: RCD trip after board upgrade. Frustration who on my side? Who's on landlords? A r

Pretty sure bs7671 will tell you to test with loads disconnected.
The point of installation testing is to test the installation not the installation & appliances.

Testing appliances would be an additional test, which I believe is also a mandatory requirement for a rented property.

Re: RCD trip after board upgrade. Frustration who on my side? Who's on landlords? A r

Pretty sure bs7671 will tell you to test with loads disconnected.
The point of installation testing is to test the installation not the installation & appliances.

Testing appliances would be an additional test, which I believe is also a mandatory requirement for a rented property.

Im not talking about BS7671, Im talking about avoiding situations like these. At the end of the day these new DB's are going to be energised with all loads connected so you want to know if any have faults present.

You should know from the full inspection and testing you carried out that the installation is fine.

Out of curiosity why was the board changed in the first place? As you know the EICR can't have returned an 'unsatisfactory' result just because there wasn't an RCD

Yes, well there was a shower recently put in by whom I don't know, no RCD, there was also a alteration to the boiler circuit from a wart heater which was wired upstairs to a combi which is now wired downstairs no RCD.he had 2 sockets within 300mm in the kitchen to the hob and sink, I know this is just in the building regs, but in my opinion it wAs a better outcome to upgrade the board rather than spuring out in such a tight space as I could only fit a 6 way board In the cupboard where the board was located.

If I am wrong please explain, cos I thought any alteration to a circuit then the whole circuit had to be done to the current regulations.

Yes, well there was a shower recently put in by whom I don't know, no RCD, there was also a alteration to the boiler circuit from a wart heater which was wired upstairs to a combi which is now wired downstairs no RCD.he had 2 sockets within 300mm in the kitchen to the hob and sink, I know this is just in the building regs, but in my opinion it wAs a better outcome to upgrade the board rather than spuring out in such a tight space as I could only fit a 6 way board In the cupboard where the board was located.

If I am wrong please explain, cos I thought any alteration to a circuit then the whole circuit had to be done to the current regulations.
I can nearly always justify a new DB :)

Agreed Bs7671 will tell you to disconnect for IR test, but I thought we were referring to the real world here...
i will admit that I've walked away from a db change or RCD install after not testing with the loads connect only to be called back the first time the customer turned on the oven/ immersion etc etc.... Only to find they had a L-E fault
But it was a very long time ago and certainly, the first time was the last time...

Agreed Bs7671 will tell you to disconnect for IR test, but I thought we were referring to the real world here...
i will admit that I've walked away from a db change or RCD install after not testing with the loads connect only to be called back the first time the customer turned on the oven/ immersion etc etc.... Only to find they had a L-E fault
But it was a very long time ago and certainly, the first time was the last time...

N-E surely? L-E would have took out old fuse :)

Yes, I agree I should of done this. But in this case I f I would of done that I would of been I the same dispute because this part p landlord. Opulent understand how it was working and isn't now.

Age of alterations is irrelevant as far as EICR coding goes. If the alterations have recently been carried out other than in accordance with the regulations then the owner of the property should take it up with the person who did the work for him.

Jimmy you're in the clear man, you might get to laugh at him if he comes back with his tail between his legs if you're lucky.

Yes, I agree I should of done this. But in this case I f I would of done that I would of been I the same dispute because this part p landlord. Opulent understand how it was working and isn't now.

Well you got nothing to worry about and you will go in with different approach next time no doubt.

N-E surely? L-E would have took out old fuse :)
N- e on the oven was 0.97 meg live to earth was 1 meg. I put the oven back in with them reading 3 meg across n-e and l- e. After 10 minutes it tripped, when it heats up perhaps the metal expands even more and then trips out.

Out of interest is the a min distance for sockets adjacent to a hob?

Building regs say 300mm for hobs and sinks. Try that in social housing 1 bed kitchen's and they wont have any!

Well you got nothing to worry about and you will go in with different approach next time no doubt.
Yer man I am disappointed with the way I dealt with him, it just wound me up because I worked a weekend for less money than I would of usually charged and felt I was doing him a good favour. Like I said the mrs was hoping for a friendship to build from this lol.

Thanks meggerman need to refresh my knowledge of building regs then. Wasn't aware or the hob requirement, just the sink...
not the id have anything that close anyhow. :)

The house was empty and I was only there to test the fixed wiring. All the or test came back over 100 meg

I may be wrong as I trained under a previous version of the regs here but is it not a requirement that the testing includes a functional test? ie. turn it all on and make sure it works.

Or is it just me being daft by using common sense when I check that everything works as expected/intended after energising an installation or completeing all other tests on an EICR?

If I have read the OP correctly (not much chance with the state of the written english there) then the fault on the oven is occuring after it has been on for a while ie. its a faulty element which only shorts once it has warmed up a bit and everything has expanded. Basic oven element fault is that one, just test to make sure and then change the element, no need to go changing the whole appliance is there?

Did you even open the oven up to see if there was just a trapped neutral inside it? this is more common than you would think.

Yer man I am disappointed with the way I dealt with him, it just wound me up because I worked a weekend for less money than I would of usually charged and felt I was doing him a good favour. Like I said the mrs was hoping for a friendship to build from this lol.
You never know, if it sinks in and he understands it, you may net an apology and go camping after all!!

Reply to RCD trip after board upgrade. Frustration who on my side? Who's on landlords? A rant! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net