Discuss RCD type- A or B to supply single phase UPS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been looking at what type RCD should be fitted for small single phase individual UPS.
Looked at Hager rcd selection guide under type B has 3 phase UPS but nothing for single phase .

I am hoping type A will do ?

Happy New year in advance !

Can the UPS manufacturer confirm that any DC leakage from their unit will be limited to less than 6mA for the duration of its serviceable life?

Why do you feel that Hager not specifically mentioning single phase UPS in their selection "guide" is sufficient to determine type of RCD required - especially given the fact that their 3ph selection guide suggests that type B protection is required?

Are the UPS on normal socket supplies and for non-skilled users? If so some RCD protection of the sockets is needed, the question then is if it need be type B RCD or the (easier and cheaper) type A.

Bear in mind that the RCD on the supply to the UPS will not protect against shock on the outputs as when the RCD trips the UPS will merrily keep powering the load and/or poor sod attached to that!

If you are looking at data centre style of operations (and a TN supply) then hard-wired UPS, or risk assessment and area only used by skilled or instructed (electrically speaking), and no buried cables < 50mm from surface, it would mean it makes no sense for RCD protection on the UPS inputs and if supplying areas folks could touch then RCD on the output might make more sense.

Reply to RCD type- A or B to supply single phase UPS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello All, I am a homeowner (but not an electrician) and I am renovating a house that has an old CU containing MCBs and an MK LN5725 residual...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Grateful for your expertise regarding my confusion on the below. Context: French rural domestic property Single phase supply, TT...
Replies
Views
I'm planning a replacement for my existing domestic CU and would like to have it sanity checked before I get an electrician involved. The main...
Replies
Views
Looking to use this brooks Compton motor as a replacement in an electric cement mixer. can anyone tell me if it is designed to operate off a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am at odds on whether RCD protection is required on an SWA of 14 metres, clipped direct under flooring direct from CU to an exterior...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock