Discuss Replacement of original Dolphin shower which also feeds pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Run into this today at a house my nephew is moving into....

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-30 at 16.01.50 (1) - Copy.jpeg

Original Dolphin 860 Shower (8600W) installed on 6mm Twin and Earth - maybe 15m length from the CU, which is an old MK board installed in 1986, but RCD protected - on a 45A MCB.

So far so 'normal'....

However, there is 2.5 T&E fed from the positive side of the valve, which feeds a pump in a cupboard above (via a FCU).

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-30 at 16.26.24 - Copy.jpeg IMG_20210530_175911 - Copy.jpg IMG_20210530_180717 - Copy.jpg

They'd purchased a 9.5kW (@240) replacement, which I wasn't comfortable installing on 6mm cable given that the route is unclear - though mostly between floors I think , but the last part of it is in trunking down the wall to the fitting itself...

The pump is slightly throwing me too - it's clearly an old pump that works when turned on, so was fed from effectively a 'switched live' in the shower - fused with a glass fuse in the shower (FCU before pump above).

Is is possible/compliant to do this in any modern shower? Obviously many of them have electronic internals now anyway, so not always clear where a suitable feed could be taken.

Since there is a toilet next door with sink, which has hot water fed from a boiler, I suggested that they get a plumber to put a normal shower in instead....

Otherwise, It would seem that the way to do it properly now would involve changing the pump to one that has a trigger sensor?

On 6mm of 15-20m, I reckon they'd need 7.5kW (@240) - and that I should probably reduce the MCB to 30A (Old MK 3871 Type 2 board). Having said that, there is no obvious overload of the existing cable, which has been in since 1986 by the looks of it....

Does that sound right, or am I missing an obvious answer that is commonly done? Anyone replaced one of these in a similar situation?

It may be that the pump predates other changes to the plumbing, eg if boiler is now a combi it might be mains cold water now and the pump might not be needed.

If it still needs a pump, as well as an electric shower with a built in pump, the other option is a simple power shower with just the pump (e.g Mira Go), taking the hot and cold feed from the room next door as suggested. Only 3 amps too then!

It may be that the pump predates other changes to the plumbing, eg if boiler is now a combi it might be mains cold water now and the pump might not be needed.

If it still needs a pump, as well as an electric shower with a built in pump, the other option is a simple power shower with just the pump (e.g Mira Go), taking the hot and cold feed from the room next door as suggested. Only 3 amps too then!
From what I could see It's an older boiler, heating a tank (with back up immersion). Though the other shower in the property is fed normally with no pump that I could see, and as far as I know works fine....

Didn't check whether the water was mains or not now - or whether mains is available in the adjacent toilet... Will have to look into options with pumps, in case a plumber decides a normal shower isn't suitable....

From what I could see It's an older boiler, heating a tank (with back up immersion). Though the other shower in the property is fed normally with no pump that I could see, and as far as I know works fine...
Didn't check whether the water was mains or not now - or whether mains is available in the adjacent toilet... Will have to look into options with pumps, in case a plumber decides a normal shower isn't suitable....
It could be that the property has had low mains water pressure problems in the past which may have since been resolved. If you have 2 showers would the mains water pressure be sufficient to run both at the same time without any issues

Reply to Replacement of original Dolphin shower which also feeds pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net