Discuss Return to work, which courses to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon my name is Steve and I’m new to this forum.
I have a dilemma I’m a qualified electrician currently holding
Approved electrician JIB card
C&G 2360 part 1 & 2
NVQ 3
Testing & Inspection 2391
17th edition wiring regs
So I worked as a spark for about 16 years but had to stop due to bad health (5 years off) when I was working my firm delt with most of the paperwork side of things but now I’m ready to return slowly as my own boss.
I’ve just enrolled on the 18th edition course that I will start soon.
THIS IS WHERE IM STUCK.....

I was thinking of enrolling on the domestic installer niceic course that I believe will allow me to carry out electrical tests and remedial works in domestic properties? The only issues are I don’t have any recent jobs to show them and presumably can’t carry out any jobs without it and the cost is quite a lot as I might not get much work as I’m building it up in the first year.
Are there any cheaper alternatives that you guys use? Or any other routes I could take?
Like I say I will be part time changing consumer units / adding circuits and testing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated ?

I don't think you need to do a domestic installer course, just the 18th edition. Then contact NICEIC or Napit and tell them what your qualifications are etc. They are usually quite helpful. They will accept a job or 2 for assessment, which you then have 30 days to notify.

I don't think you need to do a domestic installer course, just the 18th edition. Then contact NICEIC or Napit and tell them what your qualifications are etc. They are usually quite helpful. They will accept a job or 2 for assessment, which you then have 30 days to notify.
I did contact the niceic, I told them I have 16years experience but had to stop work due to bad health with around 5 years off. Now ready to return and I hold a JIB approved status card, 2360 1 & 2, nvq 3, 2391 and 17th edition that I’m currently upgrading to 18th and they just come back with domestic installer. Very short no real substance or information to the email so I thought I’d join a forum for advice.
So maybe I’ll give Napit a call and see where that takes me. Are napit on par with the niceic?
Thanks for the info ?

I started with the NICEIC as a domestic installer, just so I could notify my own work in domestic properties. After a year or two I upgraded to approved contactor, which some potential customers stipulated as a requirement for them to be able to use me.
I had similar qualifications to yours at the time.

Doesn't mean you need a domestic installer course though. That is really for people who have no qualifications. It's a new route into the industry that many think is an easy route, or shortcut. It's not.

I did contact the niceic, I told them I have 16years experience but had to stop work due to bad health with around 5 years off. Now ready to return and I hold a JIB approved status card, 2360 1 & 2, nvq 3, 2391 and 17th edition that I’m currently upgrading to 18th and they just come back with domestic installer. Very short no real substance or information to the email so I thought I’d join a forum for advice.
So maybe I’ll give Napit a call and see where that takes me. Are napit on par with the niceic?
Thanks for the info ?

I’d definitely phone NAPIT, they’re really helpful. they’ll give you full scope with your qualifications once you’ve got your 18th; and they’re cheaper.

I started with the NICEIC as a domestic installer, just so I could notify my own work in domestic properties. After a year or two I upgraded to approved contactor, which some potential customers stipulated as a requirement for them to be able to use me.
I had similar qualifications to yours at the time.

Doesn't mean you need a domestic installer course though. That is really for people who have no qualifications. It's a new route into the industry that many think is an easy route, or shortcut. It's not.
I basically I want to be able to issue my own test certs (EICRs etc) and notify building control as I need to like I say I will only be doing part time maybe add a few circuits, consumer unit change etc. My old firm done all the paperwork for me so I’m a bit stuck to be honist!
thanks ?

Reply to Return to work, which courses to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net