Discuss Robot lawnmower guide wire repair in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
My friend has got one of those robot lawnmowers that automatically goes out once a day and runs around the grass.

There is a single core guide wire buried around the perimeter of the lawn that must carry a signal that the mower senses and knows not to cross…

This wire has a break in it somewhere.

Is there an easy trick, or tool that can be used to find out how far along the wire the break is…. Or is it likely non repairable and needs replaced?

He’s already tried a continuity test with a simple multimeter, which showed an open circuit between the two ends…. But that might just be the lack of capability of a simple meter.

I could shove main voltage down it and see where the grass burns??? 🤔⚡

I seem to remember Lucien describing a method he used that involved sending a signal down the cable and measuring the reflection that came back from the break. Something to do with using a CRT monitor to show the timing difference between the two and then calculating the distance to the break.

Time to pop to Radio Rentals for a 14" CRT...

I seem to remember Lucien describing a method he used that involved sending a signal down the cable and measuring the reflection that came back from the break. Something to do with using a CRT monitor to show the timing difference between the two and then calculating the distance to the break.

Time to pop to Radio Rentals for a 14" CRT...
got my old childhood one in the attic, actually. Why ive carried it through 5 house moves in the last 30 years, i'll never know

Here it is:

It's lovely that all these gems of wisdom are preserved here :)

Send your wife to guide a proper mower round the lawn?
Tin hat on!

Seriously, use a cable tracer and follow the cable 'til it loses signal...

My friend has got one of those robot lawnmowers that automatically goes out once a day and runs around the grass.

There is a single core guide wire buried around the perimeter of the lawn that must carry a signal that the mower senses and knows not to cross…

This wire has a break in it somewhere.

Is there an easy trick, or tool that can be used to find out how far along the wire the break is…. Or is it likely non repairable and needs replaced?

He’s already tried a continuity test with a simple multimeter, which showed an open circuit between the two ends…. But that might just be the lack of capability of a simple meter.

I could shove main voltage down it and see where the grass burns??? 🤔⚡
Use an AM radio.

Last edited:

Reply to Robot lawnmower guide wire repair in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock