Discuss Secure Roof Bars in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

stevethesparks

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Peeps, I'm looking for some decent roof bars for my van (Peugeot Partner) I'm currently swaying towards Rhino Kamm Bars, if anyone can advise of a similar product that is thief resistant and preferably can be fitted with a rear roller I'd be grateful. Am, also looking to keep the price as low as possible. Toys for vans is the cheapest I've seen so far.
Cheers

seriously how often are roof bars stolen?

most roofbars can be removed with the right tools easily enough but people dont.

no one will steal your roofbars they would take the van and clear it out elsewhere instead of getting tools out there to remove it.

and what is cheap? £10,000 is cheap to a billionaire

I ask as my neighbours van rack was stolen the other day.
I've had 3 pairs of ladders taken in past years
locks drilled out leaving big holes in the door
2 rear windows smashed and items taken in previous vehicles
Not once has my vehicle been taken apart from an incident in 1975 when my car was taken and new cassette player removed.
If roof bars can be easily removed with nice new ladders attached, then that is the way they will steal them.
But you would seem to know best young grasshopper.
What was your point of posting?

Last edited:
Nothing is truly unstealable, it's just a case of making it hard for them.
I've got a set of Thule roof bars from halfords on my van, they have a lock built in to the handle used to tighten them onto the roof, it locks the handle and you need the key to turn it.

I ask as my neighbours van rack was stolen the other day.
I've had 3 pairs of ladders taken in past years
locks drilled out leaving big holes in the door
2 rear windows smashed and items taken in previous vehicles
Not once has my vehicle been taken apart from an incident in 1975 when my car was taken and new cassette player removed.
If roof bars can be easily removed with nice new ladders attached, then that is the way they will steal them.
But you would seem to know best young grasshopper.
What was your point of posting?
if they will drill locks and smash windows to get the stuff then they will take it anyway thats my point.

bolt croppers or grinders are easily obtainable.

if they want something badly enough they will get it and you wont be able to stop them unless you put an alarm on it (motion sensetive)

if they will drill locks and smash windows to get the stuff then they will take it anyway thats my point.

bolt croppers or grinders are easily obtainable.

if they want something badly enough they will get it and you wont be able to stop them unless you put an alarm on it (motion sensetive)

surly it better to make the thieving scumbags job harder though?

I'd rather make things as secure as possible to stop the opportunist rather than make it easy for them. Unlikely they will be using a grinder in the early hours. The more time I can buy the less chance they have, and possibly the more chance of them getting caught. Seems obvious to me. As regards gear in the van, that gets emptied every evening. Ladders generally come off too, but in the event I forget or cannot for some reason, then I'd like to have a little comfort with their improved security.

Reply to Secure Roof Bars in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net