Discuss security lighting pir problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barrymk

i installed two exterior floodlights (150w) with a pir on each on a house. upon energising the circuit the lights came on as usual and timed out i also tested them by hand and all ok. i got a call back to the house this evening because both lights were not working. i tested and there was full power at each light but both sensors were not working. givin the history i have had with this house before with the supply voltage being at 244v i fitted energy wizaeds and have the house voltage down to 138v. anybody any ideas on what the problem could be? im thinking there could be an issue with hertz and the whole housing estate are having trouble with appliances and technology failing. just melting my brain a bit this one.

138v???....238 I assume?

I get voltages up to 250v in my area without any issues......are the floods £2 a boatload from china jobbies?....there's some real rubbish out there.

no they are decent floods, aurora ive installed about 60 of them over the past 3 months and no issues until now. i find it strange both sensors failing within a week. the whole housing estate are currently having problem with their appliances also.

You kinda answered your own question, if this issue is affecting numerous proporties on the estate then i suspect mains transients (spikes) is an issue, is this a new estate, is their a high no' of PV installs, are you close to large commercial or industrial units ????

I would be tempted to fit an anti-surge on the supply and see if this corrects the issue but to be sure of clean mains you may be wise hiring a power analizer to log any issues with the supply, im talking from a view that these enquiries to other houses on the estate have good ground and there is a common issue, be careful that it isn't just neighbour chit-chat with people swapping stories unrelated and getting 1+1=3.

the estate is 4 years old and the house i installed these lights on have gone through 2 dishwashers 1 washing machine and 4 microwaves in that time. thats why i dropped the voltage in the house and there hasnt been as many issues. i have spoken directly to other tenants in the housing estate and it does seem to be an issue.

also there are only two pv installs in the estate and around 100 houses in it. and not close to industrial or commercial premises.

If you have the time i would go around and log a list of tenants issues and report your findings to the DNO and see if they can monitor the supply off their own backs for free, if they refuse simply express that you feel this is much more than coincidence with the evidence gathered and you will be fitting a power analyser to the supply, if as you suspect you find issue then you will be looking for compensation and handing over your findings to all effected tenants. This should get them off their butts, if not then you may have to either forget it or pay for the analysis yourself and if no issues are found then it will hit your or your customers pocket, unless you could get all on the estate to chip in a small sum each.
It can be of great benefit if comfirmation the power supply is damages the household appliances, it could even be a loose DNO Earth/Neutral termination this could see the supply spike with upto 400 volts L/N which will damage any electronics like timer boards in washers, T.V.s, sensors etc ...

i installed two exterior floodlights (150w) with a pir on each on a house. upon energising the circuit the lights came on as usual and timed out i also tested them by hand and all ok. i got a call back to the house this evening because both lights were not working. i tested and there was full power at each light but both sensors were not working. givin the history i have had with this house before with the supply voltage being at 244v i fitted energy wizaeds and have the house voltage down to 138v. anybody any ideas on what the problem could be? im thinking there could be an issue with hertz and the whole housing estate are having trouble with appliances and technology failing. just melting my brain a bit this one.

look online and see if there is somewhere you can rent a Fluke Voltage event Recorder.....its a plugtop one that you plug in inside a building just like a socket tester but its got a data logger memory card inside it and when you connect it up to the PC/Laptop it puts out a web browser page that shows a graph and info on spikes, surges, power outages, frequency, voltage drops etc.....just leave it in for 2 days....can make up a socket on a lead and plug it into that as well...
Its not an expensive bit of kit, quite cheap to rent and only about £350 to buy, whereas the bells and whistles ones that are the size of a multifunction tester are about £4,000 to buy and £100 odd a day to rent......these plug top ones are unobtrusive and not easily damaged.....and are also easy to hide in the van/toolbox unlike the full industrial ones which have a big yellow box and are the size of a shoe box and stand out like a beacon to the pilfering types....

FLUKE VR101S Voltage Event Recorder System | eBay here you go, there's usually cheap ones come up, you might need a UK travel adapter for this one though as its a Euro plug one.....there's UK plug ones available as well......don't buy one new from the UK as they will try to rifle you for £800 odd in most cases, the honest sellers/wholesalers seem to have gone.....if buying one from the USA (one of the newest models) it will have a packet of worldwide plug attachments with it to fit any socket.....and cost £300 brand new with parcel post to the UK.....customs will probably winkle £40 in tax as well but still a lot cheaper and better than getting over charged...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUKE-VR101S-Voltage-Event-Recorder-System-/271104827500?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3f1f1b606c here you go, there's usually cheap ones come up, you might need a UK travel adapter for this one though as its a Euro plug one.....there's UK plug ones available as well......don't buy one new from the UK as they will try to rifle you for £800 odd in most cases, the honest sellers/wholesalers seem to have gone.....if buying one from the USA (one of the newest models) it will have a packet of worldwide plug attachments with it to fit any socket.....and cost £300 brand new with parcel post to the UK.....customs will probably winkle £40 in tax as well but still a lot cheaper and better than getting over charged...

Reply to security lighting pir problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net