Discuss Smoke alarms and regulations. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am fitting a heat detector in a new kitchen. The rest of the house has battery smoke detectors.
I have quoted to update all smoke detectors to mains powered and radio linked. However, is it only my new work that has to comply? In other words do I have to update all other alarms?
I guess my new work wouldn't strictly comply as the heat detector wouldn't be linked to the others?

Why are you fitting a heat detector, is the kitchen job a new build extension ?

If so i just usually ask the BCO what they want as no matter if they are right or wrong the job doesn't get signed off unless they are happy. Plus it saves me having to argue my points with the householder.

Well that would depend on what type of project you are working on . There is no requirement for smokes in existing houses unless specified by building control due to certain types of building works .

On my kitchen extension done a few years back, I had to link alarm in kitchen, with ones in hall and landing. I’d double check.

I think the answer is to ask the building inspector. Thanks for the replies chaps.

Check the “replace by” date on the existing detectors. If there isn’t one, I bet they’re ancient.
Replace with aico 10yr lithium battery powered, and radiolink between

Check the “replace by” date on the existing detectors. If there isn’t one, I bet they’re ancient.
Replace with aico 10yr lithium battery powered, and radiolink between
That was the plan, and maybe still is if the building inspector insists.

Update time :)

Chatted to the building inspector who surprised me!

He said I didn't need to interlink the new heat detector with the house ones (although he did say it is recommended, but not mandatory). He also said I didn't even need to put a heat alarm in the new kitchen (extension) which I was surprised at. He stated the reason as being it was only a single story (so I'm guessing the reason was no living space above) and there was a door from the kitchen leading straight out of the house.

I had quoted for new, interlinked smokes throughout the house which the customer had accepted. I gave this new information to the customer, highly recommending they still have them (but making it clear it was not essential) and they declined. A mornings work lost! :(

I'm still going to fit the heat detector though, new kitchen = heat detector in my book, regardless of any get out clauses.

Update time :)

Chatted to the building inspector who surprised me!

He said I didn't need to interlink the new heat detector with the house ones (although he did say it is recommended, but not mandatory). He also said I didn't even need to put a heat alarm in the new kitchen (extension) which I was surprised at. He stated the reason as being it was only a single story (so I'm guessing the reason was no living space above) and there was a door from the kitchen leading straight out of the house.

I had quoted for new, interlinked smokes throughout the house which the customer had accepted. I gave this new information to the customer, highly recommending they still have them (but making it clear it was not essential) and they declined. A mornings work lost! :(

I'm still going to fit the heat detector though, new kitchen = heat detector in my book, regardless of any get out clauses.

The best bit will be when the inspector changes their mind and wants interlinked throughout after the job is finished.

The best bit will be when the inspector changes their mind and wants interlinked throughout after the job is finished.
or current inspectorfinds out his pension is massive and retires, only to be replaces by a snotty-nosed kid with a degree in media studies.
, who doesn't know a house brick from a RCBO

I bet another building inspector would have given a completely different answer!
I remember working on a job converting a school into a leisure centre at the time when sockets heights for disabled access were new to the table. The council clerk of works could not decide how to interpret the new requirements. I had to alter the first fix heights three flipping times. Install method was PVC conduit chased into block walls and there were well over a hundred points done in this method. Lost count how many couplers I used in the end.

Last edited:

Reply to Smoke alarms and regulations. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net