Discuss Solar panels on shed: What cable requirements are needed to house? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing six solar panels on a new-build shed.
I had planned on bringing the power from the 2Kw inverter to the main consumer unit in the home over a 4mm² armoured cable. This will be connected through a 25A 30mA SP Type B RCBO to the main rail in the consumer unit.

My question is how to wire the 6 sockets and the couple of lights in the shed.
Do I need to bring a second cable from the main consumer unit in the home to a secondary consumer unit in the shed? If so, what spec should this be?
Or can I make use of the first cable?

It is entirely possible to do it either way, who is dong this work? You should be getting the specifics sorted out on paper before any wires go in the ground.

Cheers for the response. No, no wires have gone in the ground yet, not until the specifics are sorted out first.
The preference would be to stick to the single cable. Assuming this is possible, does the secondary consumer unit in the shed get tapped off the inverter through another 25A 30mA RCBO?
Will the 25m 4mm² cable from the house to the inverter in the shed still be properly specced now that there are 6 sockets and a couple lights on it?

The exact spec. cant be sorted over an internet forum, you need to involve the electrician that will be doing the work at the planning stage.
I could tell you how I might do it, you put the cables in the ground and then find out your electrician is unwilling to connect it in that configuration.

No worries. I wont be putting cables in the ground before involving the electrician. I like to learn and have a good understanding of what an installation might consist of before discussing specs and quotes with the contractors.

But if you think I shouldn't bother I will leave it.

If the swa supply to shed is good enough then a sub board in there would be best option by far, the you would have a local circuit for the inverter. Maybe run 10mm 3c swa to cover most eventualities.

Reply to Solar panels on shed: What cable requirements are needed to house? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock