Discuss Starting up myself in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Elecson

Hi Guys, just after a bit of advice or to see if any of you have done this. I'm a fully qualified electrical engineer on site looking after the building services aswell as the industrial plant on site (including installation of both). I completed me apprenticeship July 2011 and they are still paying me apprentice wages an saying we'll review your wage in the last quarter. So it's now September 2012 and he's still saying we'll review it when I've proved myself or in the last quarter?! So i've gained some good experience here so what would you guys do? stay an wait to see what happens? or get some contracts of your own at a few sites an build up on your own from there?

Cheers!

stay on while you try and get your own work. once you have some definite committments from clients, then go it alone.

Cheers telectrix, how would you go about getting such commitments? Would you get a contract made up or speak to the potential clients and see what they're after?

Before you jump in to the unknown it would be a good idea to try and build up contacts/small customers over the weekends and evenings.

Talk to Elecsa/Napit/NICEIC and check their expectations too - and do the sums on your "start up" costs and finally you'll need cash behind you as there is not a pot of gold at the end of the electrical rainbow at the moment!!

Lots of threads in the business section on here so worth a read too.

Good luck!

word of warning. don't try approaching you present employer's clients. they're most likely to grass you up to your employer, then you will be on your own before you are prepared.

Reply to Starting up myself in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net